Bucky Brooks’ Top 5 Draft Prospects by position

YoloinOhio

It would make me very nervous if the Bills drafted Ed Oliver at #9.  While listed at 290, it is rumored he played at under 280, and he can't really carry any more weight than that.  He's also said to be shorter than his listed height.  He's said to be not nearly as strong as another recent undersized defensive tackle, Aaron Donald.  Then, you can add to that a bit of a reputation as a diva.  I see him listed in a lot of mocks to the Bills, and that makes me cringe.  I can see teams in the NFL lining up the road graders across from him and running straight at him.

40 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I just can't see them drafting a DT or OL in the first round.  I see DE or WR.

I see DT if they stay at 9 and go BPA. The Bills desperately need a d-line difference maker and have been searching since they let Dareus go. They could go with Bama's LT, but I think he is a bit of a reach at 9. RT is deeper this year so I don't see them throwing all their chips behind one of them at 9 as they could likely pick up a good people-moving RT later.

Opposing teams were able to run right up the middle on our defense last year and QB's have been able to step up into a clean pocket to avoid the rush of our DE's, the Bills need a player that can get some push and play on the other side of the LOS and be disruptive. The top part of the draft has those premier DT players and I see them going that route if they don't sell the farm for an Offensive lineman.

If they trade down - it is anyone's guess

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, WideNine said:

I see DT if they stay at 9 and go BPA. The Bills desperately need a d-line difference maker and have been searching since they let Dareus go. They could go with Bama's LT, but I think he is a bit of a reach at 9. RT is deeper this year so I don't see them throwing all their chips behind one of them at 9 as they could likely pick up a good people-moving RT later.

Opposing teams were able to run right up the middle on our defense last year and QB's have been able to step up into a clean pocket to avoid the rush of our DE's, the Bills need a player that can get some push and play on the other side of the LOS and be disruptive. The top part of the draft has those premier DT players and I see them going that route if they don't sell the farm for an Offensive lineman.

The two hardest positions to fill in free agency are WR and pass rushing.  I can fix the O line partially in free agency and O lineman outside of round 1 make it in the NFL consistently.  Stopping the run up the middle is important but it's 6th on my priority list.

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

It would make me very nervous if the Bills drafted Ed Oliver at #9.  While listed at 290, it is rumored he played at under 280, and he can't really carry any more weight than that.  He's also said to be shorter than his listed height.  He's said to be not nearly as strong as another recent undersized defensive tackle, Aaron Donald.  Then, you can add to that a bit of a reputation as a diva.  I see him listed in a lot of mocks to the Bills, and that makes me cringe.  I can see teams in the NFL lining up the road graders across from him and running straight at him.

I also have a bad feeling about him. Great player. Huge bust potential.

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

The two hardest positions to fill in free agency are WR and pass rushing.  I can fix the O line partially in free agency and O lineman outside of round 1 make it in the NFL consistently.  Stopping the run up the middle is important but it's 6th on my priority list.

We were 1st in pass defense and 10th in rush defense. 

Opponents (particularly in the red zone) were able to run on our team. Rushing TDs were just about automatic once they were in the red zone. The Patriots owned us by running over our team then forcing the Bills to committ all the defenders they could to the box...then they were able to hit their short passes behind our defense.

I know folks glamorize the DE position and sacks, but between our #1 pass defense and #7 turnover ranking, our biggest need area on defense is the ability to stop the run and prevent teams from owning us and scoring in the red zone, or forcing the Bills to commit our secondary to rush defence and opening up their pass options.

Also if you can stop the run with your 4 man front, your defense can be more creative with blitzes on predictable passing downs.

I agree with the O-line needs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Opponents (particularly in the red zone) were able to run on our team. Rushing TDs were just about automatic once they were in the red zone. The Patriots owned us by running over our team then forcing the Bills to committ all the defenders they could to the box...then they were able to hit their short passes behind our defense.

I know folks glamorize the DE position and sacks, but between our #1 pass defense and #7 turnover ranking, our biggest need area on defense is the ability to stop the run and prevent teams from owning us and scoring in the red zone, or forcing the Bills to commit our secondary to rush defence and opening up their pass options.

Also if you can stop the run with your 4 man front, your defense can be more creative with blitzes on predictable passing downs.

I don’t know the evolvement (is that a word?) of the run D over the course of the season, but losing Milano and Taron Johnson, who were very integral to the run D, to IR late in the season seemed to really hurt. It was especially noticeable vs the Pats in the game you mention. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, WideNine said:

You'll have to forgive me for this comment.  I don't want to get blown up in the run game but I care much less about it. 

I want an offense that can compete and right now we don't have that.  

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know the evolvement (is that a word?) of the run D over the course of the season, but losing Milano and Taron Johnson, who were very integral to the run D, to IR late in the season seemed to really hurt. It was especially noticeable vs the Pats in the game you mention. 

I think that is true to a degree, but Milano (as awesome as he is in coverage) is not exactly built as a run stopper, and if your safeties are making a stop it is usually after a RB has picked up a head of steam and gained 3-4 yards. 

Look to the Jags game for that proof.

Also, it is making those kind of stops (RBs with a full head of steam) and getting caught up in the wash of our d-line getting blown up that I believe got those two injured in the first place.

IMO....regarding run defense, other than Edmunds in the Mike position who should be hitting those inside run gaps, I think of those two as guys that when needed prevent a 4 yard gain from turning into a 15, or string out the sweeps to force any runs back into the teeth of the pursuit, or clean up if our DEs lose contain on the edge.

Just my opinion, but I have always been a guy that believes you build your lines fron the inside out.

25 minutes ago, White Linen said:

You'll have to forgive me for this comment.  I don't want to get blown up in the run game but I care much less about it. 

I want an offense that can compete and right now we don't have that.  

No offense taken.

Many of us feel that at 9 the BPA will be a defensive prospect.

I think if the Bills trade down then they may turn to our O-line needs 1st as the BPA should align better with those sans reaching.

So this was just a conversation about which direction they would go IF they go defence at 9.

49 minutes ago, WideNine said:

No offense taken.

Many of us feel that at 9 the BPA will be a defensive prospect.

I think if the Bills trade down then they may turn to our O-line needs 1st as the BPA should align better with those sans reaching.

So this was just a conversation about which direction they would go IF they go defence at 9.

Good conversation for sure.  

I get the BPA thing but I just can't get behind fortifying the defense when our offense is a total mess.   If we want to do that fine, then spend some of the free agency money on it.  I'm not bullish on Foster and Zay, we need at least 2 starters on the OL, TE situation is a mess and our RB's are well who knows.  It's critical that we get high end talent on offense.  

In terms of BPA, the only situation that I'd concede to for not drafting offense is DE.  We were 26th in sacks and IMO pass rushing is the 2nd most important position after QB.  I cannot see a scenario that I'd be ok with a DT.  

14 hours ago, WideNine said:

I gots to say wide I question this

Our defense was pretty good this past year and we had a lot of young players on it.......so in overall strategy I think "desperately need" is no bueno

What this team desperately needs to do is score points........and we should be making aggressive moves to that end.......if they take J. Taylor at 9 I really do not think that will be a reach.

I want to see a lot of offensive players in this draft.

Let the natural progression of Horrible Harry taking up Meatball's snaps.

Resign our ex Miami DT we picked up in the middle of the season

Look for some Wallace type gems

Our D is pretty good.

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I gots to say wide I question this

Our defense was pretty good this past year and we had a lot of young players on it.......so in overall strategy I think "desperately need" is no bueno

What this team desperately needs to do is score points........and we should be making aggressive moves to that end.......if they take J. Taylor at 9 I really do not think that will be a reach.

I want to see a lot of offensive players in this draft.

Let the natural progression of Horrible Harry taking up Meatball's snaps.

Resign our ex Miami DT we picked up in the middle of the season

Look for some Wallace type gems

Our D is pretty good.

I agree. The 2018 Bills defense was #2 in yards allowed and 18 in points allowed. Meanwhile, the offense was 30th in both yards, points.

This franchise is desperate alright and that is for offensive players. The Bills need a #1 WR, #1 TE as they have told Clay he is no longer in their plans. The offensive line needs a complete makeover with at least four position upgrades. Offensive center being the most important, then LG, RT, RG. Dion Dawson might remain at LT but then again they might choose to upgrade that position and move Dawkins to RT, OG. 

If this franchise goes defense with that #1 pick at #9 the ONLY position I can see that need for is a pass rusher.  On another note, the very best DT in the league was Aaron Donald with 20 sacks and how much impact did he have in the SB? The 2014 Buffalo Bills had the #4 overall defense and were the best sacking/pass rushing team in the NFL that year. Point being is, the defense isn't going to have that much impact if the offense is among the worst and the defense can't get off the field. 

5 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree. The 2018 Bills defense was #2 in yards allowed and 18 in points allowed. Meanwhile, the offense was 30th in both yards, points.

This franchise is desperate alright and that is for offensive players. The Bills need a #1 WR, #1 TE as they have told Clay he is no longer in their plans. The offensive line needs a complete makeover with at least four position upgrades. Offensive center being the most important, then LG, RT, RG. Dion Dawson might remain at LT but then again they might choose to upgrade that position and move Dawkins to RT, OG. 

If this franchise goes defense with that #1 pick at #9 the ONLY position I can see that need for is a pass rusher.  On another note, the very best DT in the league was Aaron Donald with 20 sacks and how much impact did he have in the SB? The 2014 Buffalo Bills had the #4 overall defense and were the best sacking/pass rushing team in the NFL that year. Point being is, the defense isn't going to have that much impact if the offense is among the worst and the defense can't get off the field. 

the superbowl was 13-3.  Defense still wins

And yes we are desperate for offense.  But we just signed Long, whom I think will be starting, and a big improvement.  Dawkins-Teller-X-Long-X is our starting line I am guessing.  We probably will sign a starter and spend at least one high pick on offensive line.  $80 million, 10 draft picks, and probably trade down opportunities-the vast majority will be spent on offensive resources, even if we draft a DT with our first pick.  Beane has stated he will go BPA

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

the superbowl was 13-3.  Defense still wins

And yes we are desperate for offense.  But we just signed Long, whom I think will be starting, and a big improvement.  Dawkins-Teller-X-Long-X is our starting line I am guessing.  We probably will sign a starter and spend at least one high pick on offensive line.  $80 million, 10 draft picks, and probably trade down opportunities-the vast majority will be spent on offensive resources, even if we draft a DT with our first pick.  Beane has stated he will go BPA

So, because the Rams offense which was #2 overall in the NFL in 2018 fell on their face in the super bowl you are touting that Patriots defense that was 20th in yards allowed is a strong reason defense still wins?

It was the Rams game to win and their offense went into the toilet as they forgot to run the ball which was their strong suit all season. Then being down by only three points the OC went pass happy. (sound familiar?) The Rams QB Goff with 4600 yards passing and 32 TDs choked about as badly as any QB I've ever seen in a Superbowl. I don't give the Patriots defense props for Goff's poor play. 

At least we agree that the Bills are desperate for offense and I'm hoping that most of those 10 draft picks go for offense. :D