T.J. Hockenson

gonzo1105

1 minute ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Noah Fant was considered by most the best TE in the country up until recently now he's behind Hockeson as best TE in country and at Iowa

I wonder if we may be better served waiting for Fant later in the draft. I just don't feel real comfortable taking a TE so high.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

He could make an immediate impact as a blocker.

I am hesitant to take him in the top 10 only because of the Eric Ebron affect.

I wouldn't want Hockenson to turn out to be somebody else's star like Ebron.

I think this is the point most are missing with TJ. 

Not only is he a weapon for Josh but he’s a blocking machine for his RB’s, for his adjacent tackle, and of course for his QB. 

Its like getting an OT and a WR for the price of one. 

9 may be a bit early. Historically TE’s never go this high. But I think he’s my favorite first rounder that I know we can get at 9

I’m in. Even if we don’t trade down. Dude is a need and of value. There isn’t a WR worth taking that high. There isn’t a TE in FA.  If they can trade back and get him, great.  

Does anyone know if we’ve even scouted him or spent any time with him?

He’s not transcendent enough at that position to warrant a top 10 pick. He’s not Gonzalez or Vernon Davis. I could see him at 15 though. I doubt he could drop past NE. Heck, he might not get past GB if all the good edge guys are gone by then. At 9 though... Nah. There’s probably better value at edge, corner, OT, or DT unless the kids pulls a 4.4 40. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, racketmaster said:

I'd like to drop down a few slots and pick him in the 12-15 range and have a few extra picks. If we can't trade down then I would not have an issue taking him at 9. He is similar to Kittle and who wouldn't take Kittle with a top 10 pick now. 

Doing a mock draft elsewhere with all teams represented by fans and I did exactly this. Dolphins guy wanted to move up to 9 to get Kyler Murray, I got #13 and #78 and took Hockenson at 13

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I wouldn’t mind taking him at 9.. my only concern is actually the pressure and how fast the fans will turn on him. Tight end is generally not a rookie impact position. Picking him top 10 a lot of fans will expect him to be Gronkowski week 1. Tight ends generally take a couple seasons before making any real impact. Other than that he looks like a solid player and checks all the boxes you would want 

Normally I would agree with this assessment. But in this case I would think with fact that we have a QB that hangs in the pocket and extends plays with his scrambling a safety valve like Hock or Fant for that matter would be awesome for his development. I think their impact would be immediate, especially if his short range accuracy improves.

13 hours ago, White Linen said:

There's been 9 TE's drafted in the first round the last 10 years and only 1, IMO, has even been remotely worth it (Evan Engram).  

I would never draft a TE in the first round and most definitely not at 9 or 12-15.

I agree with the sentiment being that taking TEs in the first generally doesn't work out. But regarding Engram, he was only taken a couple picks after OJ Howard who has been better so far, albeit in a less-featured role.

Edited by DCOrange

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Huh. Google told me 230. 250 would be much better.

Who knows but I agree that the 250 is a better story to tell pre-draft. I got the 250 off espn and hawkeyesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=11157

Really until they measure players at the combine you don't have anything concrete.