T.J. Hockenson

gonzo1105

I wanted to bring up this guy, a Tight End from Iowa who most consider to be a mid to late 1st round pick. I kind of think that if he tests well at the combine that he could jump into the top 15 especially with a bad group of 1st round worth of prospects. The kid can do it all. He is not one of these new age flex TE's who only play WR and he isn't an nonathletic inline Y TE. I think this kid could play H-Back, Y, or Flex TE in the NFL creating mismatches like Gronk or Kelce.......and he lovessss to block so he would help in the run game.  I wanted to see what the thoughts were of him. I would assume most would say only if we trade down from 9 or if we trade up from 40 but I was curious what the boards opinion of him are especially if you think he could be an instant impact guy who can help out the development of Allen. I wet your whistle with some of his bigger pass plays this year and then the 2nd video focuses on his video analysis of his blocking.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'd like to drop down a few slots and pick him in the 12-15 range and have a few extra picks. If we can't trade down then I would not have an issue taking him at 9. He is similar to Kittle and who wouldn't take Kittle with a top 10 pick now. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I wouldn’t mind taking him at 9.. my only concern is actually the pressure and how fast the fans will turn on him. Tight end is generally not a rookie impact position. Picking him top 10 a lot of fans will expect him to be Gronkowski week 1. Tight ends generally take a couple seasons before making any real impact. Other than that he looks like a solid player and checks all the boxes you would want 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, White Linen said:

There's been 9 TE's drafted in the first round the last 10 years and only 1, IMO, has even been remotely worth it (Evan Engram).  

I would never draft a TE in the first round and most definitely not at 9 or 12-15.

Evan Engram is an oft injured one dimensional TE. Not worth a first. I agree with the rest.

10 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I wouldn’t mind taking him at 9.. my only concern is actually the pressure and how fast the fans will turn on him. Tight end is generally not a rookie impact position. Picking him top 10 a lot of fans will expect him to be Gronkowski week 1. Tight ends generally take a couple seasons before making any real impact. Other than that he looks like a solid player and checks all the boxes you would want 

He could make an immediate impact as a blocker.

I am hesitant to take him in the top 10 only because of the Eric Ebron affect.

I wouldn't want Hockenson to turn out to be somebody else's star like Ebron.

• Like (+1) 1

When was the last TE drafted 10 -15? He's a beast, but its like RB....D-line , edge, QB.maybe O-line. T hats first round talent these days. That said...give me him at 25, and a 2nd rounder, I'm game. Please don't let NE or KC draft him. Actually, BOTH those Iowa TE's are worthy of a 1st rd pick in my opinion

• Like (+1) 1

Hes a throwback old school TE that can block and catch. Very interested in him. Not sure hes value at 9 but trade back absolutely.  

But if you think about it, with one pick we improve the oline and offensive weapons for Josh with one pick.  No other player in the draft can impact both like TJ can

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This kid is going top 15 no doubt!

6’5” 250, I bet he runs in the upper 4.5s. He’s been said to be a crisp route runner. Not to mention a super tough blocker in the run game.

Id take him at 9. But would love to trade down 3-4 spots.  

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1