Hearing Broncos will let Matt Paradis test FA

Patriot Killa

I may be in the minority, but I think Morse may be a better get than Paradis. Morse has the kind of athleticism we're missing along the line and is also a bit younger than Paradis. We have the space to outbid KC if they have their sights set on Morse. Will all depend on whether he'd take a hometown discount to stay in KC.

Edited by BillsSB2020

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...is there a preferred choice between Paradis & Morse?......or do you folks call it a draw with either one?...............

I strongly prefer Morse but would be absolutely ecstatic with either. People who love PFF love Paradis. He's very highly rated there. I've studied both a bit and I think Morse is better, though I have seen a lot more of Morse. I've loved Morse since draft time when he was a left tackle at Mizzou. 

And just to add, playing center in an Andy Reid offense is not easy. It's pretty demanding and he has had some really good ones over the years. 

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Paradis will be a Jet in my opinion. He's a perfect zone player for Gase. He played for Gase and was drafted for his offense. It's the most obvious fit in free agency. 

Bills fans, Mitch Morse is the better player for us. He's a converted left tackle, so he has a much better skill set and is scheme versatile. I know PFF rates Paradis higher, but I don't care. Morse is younger, bigger, and an overall better athlete. He has not surrendered a sack since his rookie season. He's bigger, faster, stronger, longer, and younger. The only red flag is the concussions, but we need to make Mitch Morse happen. He's the perfect fit for us.  

I just really hate to narrow things down to a player......

If we could get one of these two players....Im happy

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I strongly prefer Morse but would be absolutely ecstatic with either. People who love PFF love Paradis. He's very highly rated there. I've studied both a bit and I think Morse is better, though I have seen a lot more of Morse. I've loved Morse since draft time when he was a left tackle at Mizzou. 

And just to add, playing center in an Andy Reid offense is not easy. It's pretty demanding and he has had some really good ones over the years. 

...thanks bud...most seem to feel the Paradis broken fibula is a non-issue going forward...do you agree?..............

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thanks bud...most seem to feel the Paradis broken fibula is a non-issue going forward...do you agree?..............

Yes defintely. He's a tough SOB for sure. He dealt with some terrible hip pain for years dating back to college and kept on playing. Finally had surgery on both. I would guess he's got maybe 4-5 years left in his career. Morse is a bit younger and has had concussion issues, but should have a longer shelf life. They both have their issues health wise. I'd say both are probably in that Eric Wood type of talent level, maybe a bit better. They are not Alex Mack or Travis Frederick, but they are both pretty damn good. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yes defintely. He's a tough SOB for sure. He dealt with some terrible hip pain for years dating back to college and kept on playing. Finally had surgery on both. I would guess he's got maybe 4-5 years left in his career. Morse is a bit younger and has had concussion issues, but should have a longer shelf life. They both have their issues health wise. I'd say both are probably in that Eric Wood type of talent level, maybe a bit better. They are not Alex Mack or Travis Frederick, but they are both pretty damn good. 

...appreciate your analysis and insight.....:thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-how-buffalo-impressed-recent-free-agent-signee-spencer-long

Long said he’s been told he’ll compete for the starting center role, presumably with veteran Russell Bodine, who made 10 starts at center for the Bills last season.

Long has also been told he will compete for a starting position. Doubt Long will compete for a starting spot with a Morse or a Paradis. So maybe the Bills have moved on from Morse / Paradis. But, based on the fact that only $1.2 mill of Long's contract is guaranteed - the Bills may still be looking for another Center. Mixed signals.

9 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-how-buffalo-impressed-recent-free-agent-signee-spencer-long

Long said he’s been told he’ll compete for the starting center role, presumably with veteran Russell Bodine, who made 10 starts at center for the Bills last season.

Long has also been told he will compete for a starting position. Doubt Long will compete for a starting spot with a Morse or a Paradis. So maybe the Bills have moved on from Morse / Paradis. But, based on the fact that only $1.2 mill of Long's contract is guaranteed - the Bills may still be looking for another Center. Mixed signals.

It makes sense to tell him that given the state of the roster this early... so much can change in FA and the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It makes sense to tell him that given the state of the roster this early... so much can change in FA and the draft. 

That is true. However, the key point is that if a Paradis or Morse signing was a likely outcome, they would not tell Long he will compete for the starting Center spot.

If you do that a few times (tell a FA he is going to compete to start and then sign a surefire starter over him), you will lose credibility. This is a multi-period game.

Did anyone post the contract details yet?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/2/14/18224774/buffalo-bills-contract-numbers-spencer-long-deal-laden-with-incentives-brandon-beane-bonuses

This is NOT starting center (or guard) money; this is backup money.

I'd look for Bodine to be the emergency option as a starting center, but one of them (Long or Bodine) will be cut if the team lands a bona fide starter in FA or the draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Did anyone post the contract details yet?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/2/14/18224774/buffalo-bills-contract-numbers-spencer-long-deal-laden-with-incentives-brandon-beane-bonuses

This is NOT starting center (or guard) money; this is backup money.

I'd look for Bodine to be the emergency option as a starting center, but one of them (Long or Bodine) will be cut if the team lands a bona fide starter in FA or the draft.

...good find!....thanks.......:thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

That is true. However, the key point is that if a Paradis or Morse signing was a likely outcome, they would not tell Long he will compete for the starting Center spot.

If you do that a few times (tell a FA he is going to compete to start and then sign a surefire starter over him), you will lose credibility. This is a multi-period game.

That’s the thing... they have no idea how likely it is yet. Even if they planned to throw every penny they have at both. Either could decide to go elsewhere easily. They won’t have a better idea probably until the combine when all the illegal tampering takes place with the agents and personnel guys. Long just got cut last week and they snatched him up immediately due to the experience, versatility and price tag along with the state of their OL. And it makes sense to tell him he would compete at C, as he’s started there before. But right now he’s just a cog and they need to fill in he rest, no one knows who that will be. And they like to say everyone’s always competing no matter what so even if the sign a guy like Morse, I still think they “say” the same thing.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s the thing... they have no idea how likely it is yet. Even if they planned to throw every penny they have at both. Either could decide to go elsewhere easily. They won’t have a better idea probably until the combine when all the illegal tampering takes place with the agents and personnel guys. Long just got cut last week and they snatched him up immediately due to the experience, versatility and price tag along with the state of their OL. And it makes sense to tell him he would compete at C, as he’s started there before. But right now he’s just a cog and they need to fill in he rest, no one knows who that will be. And they like to say everyone’s always competing no matter what so even if the sign a guy like Morse, I still think they “say” the same thing.

They might have a better shot at landing Paradis than Morse IMO...Morse has the same agent as Russ Bodine; not sure how good that would look if EAS scores Morse a big deal that puts one of their other clients out of a job...then again, maybe they can convince Bodine that it's in his best interest to sign another contract this year since he's only got $500k in guaranteed money coming from this one, which would kill two birds with one stone.

Just pointing out another dynamic at play here.

If we're looking at agent-association, the OLmen that the Bills may have the best "inside track" to are Ja'Wuan James and Quentin Spain.  They share an agent with Kyle Williams, Robert Foster, and Isaiah McKenzie--all of whom have signed deals since Beane has been GM.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1