Potential FA's

GreggTX

A front page article at nfl.com lists some very intriguing names as potential FA's. Sorry for no link. I'm posting this on a PS4.

Two of the more intriguing names were Donald Penn (OT, Raiders) & Malik Jackson (DT, Jaguars). I'd LOVE to see Penn in a Bills uniform in 2019, fully recovered from his hamstring injury. I'm not sure what the problem was with Jackson last year, but we certainly have a huge void at DT right now. Any others that you really like? Parker? Amendola? Kirkpatrick?

Edited by GreggTX

12 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Nothing says build for the future like signing an often injured 35 year old OT

would have to be released anyway.. No thanks 

I didn't realize he was that old! See any other potential targets for us?

My hope is Daryl Williams, RT from Panthers and Trey Flowers, DE Patriots sign here and are our big splash.  I thought  OBD might be interested in signing Jon Halapio C from Giants but but they went with Spencer Long who is similar type player.

Mods, maybe this thread needs to be merged into FA thread pinned at the top?

35 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Nothing says build for the future like signing an often injured 35 year old OT

would have to be released anyway.. No thanks 

My first thought was “he’s still around???” It seems like Tampa drafted him right after the Jets beat the Colts in the SB. I thought he’d be EVEN OLDER. Time is a funny thing.....

44 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

A front page article at nfl.com lists some very intriguing names as potential FA's. Sorry for no link. I'm posting this on a PS4.

Two of the more intriguing names were Donald Penn (OT, Raiders) & Malik Jackson (DT, Jaguars). I'd LOVE to see Penn in a Bills uniform in 2019, fully recovered from his hamstring injury. I'm not sure what the problem was with Jackson last year, but we certainly have a huge void at DT right now. Any others that you really like? Parker? Amendola? Kirkpatrick?

Penn may have had a groin injury.  In any case, going young may make more sense insofar as the future goes.  Flip side is that if Penn is healthy, his experience would likely be beneficial to the young guys we'll hopefully be drafting and to Allen.

11 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

My hope is Daryl Williams, RT from Panthers and Trey Flowers, DE Patriots sign here and are our big splash.  I thought  OBD might be interested in signing Jon Halapio C from Giants but but they went with Spencer Long who is similar type player.

Mods, maybe this thread needs to be merged into FA thread pinned at the top?

You do realize that either Williams and/or James are going to be the highest paid RT in football at 12 a year and that DeMarcus Lawrence is probably going to get like a 120 million dollar deal. That’s not what people would call judicious 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

You do realize that either Williams and/or James are going to be the highest paid RT in football at 12 a year and that DeMarcus Lawrence is probably going to get like a 120 million dollar deal. That’s not what people would call judicious 

Confused? here.

Only 1 RT over $10mm now, all others including last years FAs and Massie are under $9mm per year so wonder where your math is coming from.

And btw I never said a thing about Lawrence or judicious.

5 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Confused? here.

Only 1 RT over $10mm now, all others including last years FAs and Massie are under $9mm per year so wonder where your math is coming from.

James will be close to $12m. Williams just a tick below. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Judicious does not mean never paying out for large contracts. If they feel that Williams or James (both of whom are just getting into their prime) is worth a larger portion of their salary cap, they will feel it worth it to make Allen's progress quicker (and to win games). 

DeMarcus Lawrence is a pass rusher in his prime. When we have such a large amount of salary cap, and it's quite possible one more pass rusher could elevate this defense to elite (and up the play of Hughes, Lawson, etc.), it might just be judicious to use a sizable portion on that and on a couple spots on the line. 

Honestly, I'm not sure which way Beane is going to go. He's unpredictable. He's cleared a ton of cap space, but also shown he's not above overspending if he thinks it fits their vision. For whatever you think of the Star signing it (1) shows he's willing to spend money where he deems it necessary and (2) can be argued successful since even if his play and playing time seemed sub-standard, the defense did improve significantly and in one very specific area that Star was intended to address (qbs stepping up and making short passes, often to the tight end). That may have been coincidence, but...

18 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Confused? here.

Considering the deal Massie signed..........and even the deal the Bills signed recently dumped Spencer Long to.......I think teams are anticipating HUGE overpays for OL in FA.

Quality of OL play is a league-wide problem and most teams believe that signing OL with 3+ years experience is a much better solution than using draft picks on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Confused? here.

https://overthecap.com/position/right-tackle/

Here's a link to the RT contracts in the NFL right now. The highest paid is Lane Johnson with 11.8 Million AAV. Havenstein and Massie never decided to hit the open market essentially giving their original team a discount, especially Havenstein. James and Williams, even if they don't get to to #1 on this list are going to make 10-13 Million dollars AAV.

I never said you said anything about judicious but the General Manager of the Buffalo Bills has. Talking about how he isn't going to put the Bills back into that situation. Giving 10-12 Million dollars a year to a RT, and then turning around and giving DeMarcus Lawrence the 2nd highest contract behind Khalil Mack for NFL Defensive players is not judicious(the words of the general manager). Your already setting yourself up for disappointment. Is it possible they get 1 for that salary? Sure, but I doubt they go for both and its more likely they don't go for either.

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

https://overthecap.com/position/right-tackle/

Here's a link to the RT contracts in the NFL right now. The highest paid is Lane Johnson with 11.8 Million AAV. Havenstein and Massie never decided to hit the open market essentially giving their original team a discount, especially Havenstein. James and Williams, even if they don't get to to #1 on this list are going to make 10-13 Million dollars AAV.

I never said you said anything about judicious but the General Manager of the Buffalo Bills has. Talking about how he isn't going to put the Bills back into that situation. Giving 10-12 Million dollars a year to a RT, and then turning around and giving DeMarcus Lawrence the 2nd highest contract behind Khalil Mack for NFL Defensive players is not judicious(the words of the general manager). Your already setting yourself up for disappointment. Is it possible they get 1 for that salary? Sure, but I doubt they go for both and its more likely they don't go for ei

good analysis on ITs so the

I never mentioned Demarcus Lawrence.  Why are you?