Round 3, Pick No. 75: Isaac Nauta, TE, Georgia

Round 4, Pick No. 106: Beau Benzschawel, IOL, Wisconsin

Round 4, Pick No. 125: Daniel Wise, DT, Kansas

Round 5, Pick No. 137: Terry McLaurin, WR Ohio State

Round 5, Pick No. 148: Blace Brown, CB Troy

Round 6,  Pick No. 168: Darwin Thompson, RB Utah State

Round 7,  Pick No. 203: Ben Banogu, EDGE TCU

Round 7, Pick No. 206: Qadree Ollison, RB Pitt

I would be very happy with this draft.  I have a feeling they will take a DT Higher but we’ll see

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:47 PM, whatdrought said:

BPA = CJ Spiller and trading Marshawn Lynch. 

Wow, I gotta disagree with this. Spiller was a part time player in college and was worthy of perhaps a 3rd round pick, if that. Only a team that was stacked with loads of talent could even begin to justify using a 3rd round pick on a part time scat back.

I will always believe that Ralph Wilson ordered that pick. He thought Spiller would be an exciting player and put "fannies in the seats."

37 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Wow, I gotta disagree with this. Spiller was a part time player in college and was worthy of perhaps a 3rd round pick, if that. Only a team that was stacked with loads of talent could even begin to justify using a 3rd round pick on a part time scat back.

I will always believe that Ralph Wilson ordered that pick. He thought Spiller would be an exciting player and put "fannies in the seats."

My take is that this was Chan Gailey's player he wanted at #1 as he was his "waterbug"!  While I also believe that Ralph Wilson was on board for this pick as he loved to draft RBs, DBs. Gailey saw this kid first hand as HC at GT while Spiller played against him with Clemson.

Spiller was never noted to be an every-down back getting 20-25 carries a game. Although, he should have gotten that many touches a game

From the press conference after being drafted by the Buffalo Bills.

• Wilson calls Spiller "a special guy" and says "the Bills have been a dull team over the last 10 years".
  • Ralph calls the Bills "lucky" to get "one of the best players in the country." Asked him if he was fastest guy in the draft; Spiller responded, "yes sir."
  • Spiller's Clemson team was 1-1 going up against Chan Gailey's Georgia Tech squad.
  • Gailey at the microphone now referencing Spiller: perseverance, character, hard work, versatile
  • "If you ask any defensive coach they'll tell you [how hard it is to play against that kind of speed]." Also said the blockers are going to be better because Spiller is so talented.

From what I recall for that first start was that Spiller was named the starting RB as Lynch was nursing a knee injury and Fred Jackson had his hand in a cast.  Spiller's full game stats were 7 rushing attempts for 6 yards. 4 receptions for 8 yards. The Bills quickly found out that Spiller couldn't block, couldn't find a hole and wasn't very good in the passing game either. 

Walterfootball.com had Spiller going #14 in the first round to Seattle. NFL.com had Spiller tagged as the first RB off the board. 

Spiller did have a pro bowl year in 2012 in 16 games with 9 game starts as Fred Jackson was the lead back until an injury shortened his season to 10 games. Spiller seemed to excel running the ball out of the shotgun snap in a spread formation. Mostly because as the opposing defense is spread out as well, all the RB needed to do was break a tackle and it was off to the races. His longest run that season was for 62 yards. 

It really was ridiculous to spend a #1 pick that year on a "scatback" type RB when they already had Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch at RB. Meanwhile, the team had previously traded away a superstar at LT In Jason Peters and replaced him with a 7th round pick in Demetress Bell. The team desperately needed a quality LT that year and didn't draft one until the 5th round. Kind of a big reason why Fitz spent the first half of 2010 running for his life and the season ended at 4-12.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Thats revisionist history.

Spiller was mocked all over the top 15 of that draft and was viewed as a great prospect. He was seen as one of the best skill position players available. 

He turned into a less than stellar pick, but his stock was right in the top 10/15 range which is where he went. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Thats revisionist history.

Spiller was mocked all over the top 15 of that draft and was viewed as a great prospect. He was seen as one of the best skill position players available. 

He turned into a less than stellar pick, but his stock was right in the top 10/15 range which is where he went. 

The fact that some draft "experts" thought he was a good selection does not mean that he in fact was. From the minute he was selected I was on this board saying that Spiller was a stupid, awful selection. Does this make me an "expert?"

Far from it, and the people the Bills employ are professionals. Somebody should have known (besides me and a slew of other posters on this board) that picking Spiller was a completely dumb move with no upside. We had talent at the RB position and he was a small, part time player. This was also a team lacking at important positions.

Lets hope that this clown show management is a thing of the past.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:27 AM, Tatonka68 said:

I see him as a MCBean player, he friends of Harrison Phillips, can play multiple positions, a hard worker, and is rising in the draft. More what I think the Bills would do than what I might do.

Yes, to all you said, would love to have him, but not sure about that high. It appears he is a late rd. 1 or early rd. 2 fit?

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

The fact that some draft "experts" thought he was a good selection does not mean that he in fact was. From the minute he was selected I was on this board saying that Spiller was a stupid, awful selection. Does this make me an "expert?"

Far from it, and the people the Bills employ are professionals. Somebody should have known (besides me and a slew of other posters on this board) that picking Spiller was a completely dumb move with no upside. We had talent at the RB position and he was a small, part time player. This was also a team lacking at important positions.

Lets hope that this clown show management is a thing of the past.

The fact that those who are highly paid individuals (who are literally paid for their draft scouting) said so, makes it so (makes it true that he was considered one of the best players available). They were wrong, and hindsight is 20-20, but the fact that some random poster on a message board somewhere hated the pick doesn't change that fact. I am not doubting your judgement, and history has proven you right. I didn't like the pick then because we didn't need a running back. That was my argument when this whole digression began- they took someone who was seen as one of the best players available instead of taking a player who fit a position of need.  

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The Senator said:

All of these mock drafts are fairly silly, IMO.

No one has the slightest clue what the Bills will do with the 9th pick, much less the 203rd pick.

I’ll wait two weeks (post-combine) for the next round of ridiculous mock drafts.

JMO

nothing else to do

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I like it, gives us something to get excited for instead of waiting 6 months for the season to start. Free agency is like Thanksgiving and the Draft is Christmas.

OTAs and Training Camp?  HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

19 and 0 baby!!! ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/13/2019 at 12:24 PM, ScottLaw said:

Eh.

Think they should address the line in FA giving them the opportunity to draft BPA which will most likely be a defensive lineman.

Hopefully Long fills in nicely at guard- lets hope center just wasnt a fit for him. If we can get either the center from KC or Denver then I would say we may be in much better shape going into the draft. Adding Jesse James would be icing on the cake- linewise ?