Ravens trading Joe Flacco to Broncos

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be fair, he had a couple of throw it up and pray plays that saved their playoff run.  Few very low percentage plays at end of games that went their way. 

In other words, he was lucky.

Just now, Wo-Bah said:

Does this mean Baltimore is sold on Lamar Jackson?  Because I sure am not.

It sure seems that way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be fair, he had a couple of throw it up and pray plays that saved their playoff run.  Few very low percentage plays at end of games that went their way. 

the bomb against the broncos was 100% awful throw. the safety, Morris, completely blew that play.... it was an awful throw and should have ended the game.

7 minutes ago, Yav said:

And? If we're going off just numbers, Taylor had a great year in 2016 playing for buffalo ranking him at #9 in QBR - guess that means Taylor is a top 10 guy in your books because numbers matter. 

QBR is one number (though I think Tyrod has Flacco beat across the board at this point anyways). There's no way to look at a chart of basically every relevant QB statistic, see that Flacco is in line or behind McCown in all of them, and come to the conclusion that he's anything but a below-average at best QB.

2 minutes ago, Wo-Bah said:

Does this mean Baltimore is sold on Lamar Jackson?  Because I sure am not.

I imagine they're committed to him at least for the next year or two unless the wheels really fall off, but this was just an obvious move to make. Flacco was going to be their backup QB while getting $20+ million per year and instead, they get an extra 4th round pick and can go and scoop up a decent backup QB at a fraction of the cost.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dkollidas said:

So does this mean Denver is out of the 1st Round QB debate? 

I don't think so. I don't know that they really intend to use a first round pick on a QB even before this, but I don't think Flacco takes them out of it either. He's a bad starting QB and even in the best case scenario, he's only a short-term fix.

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is so Elway. He has no clue how to draft and develop a QB.

Seems like his last desperation move to save his job!

2 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

So does this mean Denver is out of the 1st Round QB debate? 

Not at all- if I am Denver, I am still drafting a QB and letting him develop.

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is so Elway. He has no clue how to draft and develop a QB.

For some teams that is the norm.

Look at the Vikings, rarely do they try to develop a QB, preferring to pick up veterans QB's instead.

Not sure if that is a terrible model as you SHOULD know what you are getting and it should be less of a gamble than finding out if your drafted QB prospect has the juice to lead your offense.

Bridgewater was a bit of an exception, and his tenure was short-lived. 

Considering Denver's success rate with developing prospects, this is arguably the wiser course for that team to take.

1 minute ago, HomeTeam said:

Does anyone know if (or how) these trades before the league year are binding? Could a team just sweep in and highjack the deal with say a 3rd round pick? 

If so.. GETRR DONE Beane

What in the what?

39 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Who else did they get in this trade or are you referring to another move?

Flacco isn't elite, but he's a better player than Case Keenum. Simply put, he can make throws that Keenum can't. Paired with a good defense, which Denver has, he has proven he can win (Baltimore has a 96-67 record when he's at the helm and went 10-5 in the postseason). 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Flacco isn't elite, but he's a better player than Case Keenum. Simply put, he can make throws that Keenum can't. Paired with a good defense, which Denver has, he has proven he can win (Baltimore has a 96-67 record when he's at the helm and went 10-5 in the postseason). 

That doesn't answer the question. A slight upgrade over a bad QB doesn't mean Flacco is a good QB.

44 minutes ago, jletha said:

Is he THAT much better than Case that you give up assetts (gotta see what they traded) and pay him $20mill a year? Id just ride it out with Case

Well it’s not final yet but the twitterheads are saying they only gave up a mid-round pick for Flacco. They are also saying Denver will be most definitely restructuring his deal, so there’s no telling yet what they’ll end up paying him. 

Hey I think Flacco sucks too but Keenum was terrible. The run he went on in Minn in ‘17 is looking like a fluke.

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

That doesn't answer the question. A slight upgrade over a bad QB doesn't mean Flacco is a good QB.

They were whiskers away from being 10-6 last season. They lost a ton of close games that could have flipped them to 10-6 if Flacco had been the QB. He really is a better player than Keenum, who had one outlier season and showed us who he really was this a year: a guy who can't really throw a deep out with any effectiveness. Are they 13-3 good with Flacco? No, but there's no QB out there who'll get them to 13-3. Flacco is a measurable upgrade over Keenum and the team will be better for it. I don't see why anyone would mock this decision. Getting to the playoffs is where you start and always the goal, and Flacco has shown he can perform well in the postseason.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1