Ravens trading Joe Flacco to Broncos

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'm with you; was just anticipating that people will try to disparage your post because one of the two year's included for Keenum was almost certainly a fluke year. I was pointing out that even with Keenum coming back down to Earth last season, he's still comparable to Flacco.

Gotcha. 

Honestly, I didn't think Keenum was as bad as people thought he was last year. He kept them in games with a suspect offensive line, and a questionable coaching staff. I don't see Flacco as an upgrade, even though I have always liked Flacco. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the bomb against the broncos was 100% awful throw. the safety, Morris, completely blew that play.... it was an awful throw and should have ended the game.

Exactly my point.  He’s a SB winning QB cuz a few lucky plays saved their playoff run.

8 minutes ago, vincec said:

Obviously Denver thinks that his mediocre results are mostly the result of Baltimore's offensive system and/or surrounding personnel, and that he has the ability and leadership qualities to become a top tier QB in the right situation. I guess we'll see.

Does Denver have better offensive personnel and system though? 

50 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

Does anyone know if (or how) these trades before the league year are binding? Could a team just sweep in and highjack the deal with say a 3rd round pick? 

If so.. GETRR DONE Beane

I was going to ask if you were new... but seeing you actually are takes away both the humor and satisfaction 

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

and we gave the Patriots a 1st Rounder for Bledsoe.. ?‍♂️ smh..

Id still do that in that time and place. 

Edited by gobills1212

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Exactly my point.  He’s a SB winning QB cuz a few lucky plays saved their playoff run.

It wasn't that awful, and they did put up 28 points up til then against a good D. Note that he's about to be hit on his throwing arm as he releases it, and that affected the throw. It was desperation time and he made a play in tough circumstances. Was it a perfect throw? No, but consider the context. https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/can-t-miss-play-jacoby-jones-70-yard-td-catch-9347455-old

49 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It wasn't that awful, and they did put up 28 points up til then against a good D. Note that he's about to be hit on his throwing arm as he releases it, and that affected the throw. It was desperation time and he made a play in tough circumstances. Was it a perfect throw? No, but consider the context. https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/can-t-miss-play-jacoby-jones-70-yard-td-catch-9347455-old

My point is, he is a lot more Eli Manning than Peyton Manning.  He got a couple lucky breaks to accomplish what he did that year.  But overall, hes mostly been a mid level QB in his career.  That playoff run was his best overall body of work still, but honestly, he was as lucky to get the SB as Minnesota was to beat the Saints last year in the playoffs.  Still he made the play, so not discrediting him, I mean a SB win is a SB win and he played well in the SB and other parts of the playoffs.  So even with the lucky break, it was quite the accomplishment.  I did however gasp at the contract he got off it by Baltimore, just felt like an emotional over pay.  Then again, QB's are continuously over paid.  

For me, I think this is a mistake by Elway...again...at the QB position.  Last year I said repeatedly;y he would NOT draft a QB, although I felt he certainly should have. Unless Keenum was the piece that got you back to the Super Bowl, you dont pass on a QB rich draft with the 5th pick.  And no one other than probably Elway and Keenums family saw him as the missing SB run piece.  This just seems like doubling down on the mistake, although I will add in Elways defense this isnt a QB rich draft.  

But if I were the Broncos, I would have either drafted a QB this year (IF there was one they liked) or let Keenum play this season out and then look to draft a QB next year.  But Elway is always in win now mode, but I don't think he has the roster that can win now in a division with both the Chargers and Chiefs in it, not to mention the Pats in the AFC along with potentially rising teams in the AFC like the Colts, Bills, Browns, etc who all seem to be ascending and have lots of cap room and young talent.  

So, for me, this is a meh move even though it was a highly predictable move I felt like was coming, just like last year when I was certain he was foolish enough to think Keenum can help them win now.  He won the SB not with the most potent offense in NFL history (they were blown out by Seahawks), but with an Elite D and below average offense...he is trying to replicate that again, but the issue is the D isnt nearly as good as it was that SB year in 2015 when it was Elite.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He was awesome during that SB run.  And lucky plays happen for most teams during a SB run.

also, this goes to show that just because a guy was good at something himself (Elway), it doesn’t make him an expert.  But Flacco is a solid starter who isn’t elite.  Draft a young guy, hope their d is still good, and that is a good foundation.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I'm wondering if Elway thinks he still has a good enough defense to make a run, and throw his first round pick, etc.. to make a serious push for AB. He's likely not long in the tooth at his job if he doesn't hurry up and get that team turned around

The defense is really good (5th overall in defensive DVOA), and it is the case that they have not one but two elite DEs. Moreover, Fangio is a very good defensive coach. So they could surprise next year and get to 10 wins (11 max in my opinion, though--the division is very tough outside of Oakland). 

As it pertains to the Bills:

This is probably good news for Bills fans hoping the Bills circle back and pursue WR John Brown in FA.

He was on pace for a massive 1200+ yard receiving season with Flacco........before Lamar took over the job....... so it would have been reasonable to think he'd follow a waived/FA Joe Flacco to Jacksonville or wherever......if that team also needed WR's........but the Broncos really like their young WR's and with that high Flacco salary they probably won't be shopping for a $7M+ WR.

• Like (+1) 1

Reading this thread it’s still obvious that folks haven’t realized GMs need solutions at QB aside from the generationally great franchise QB. 

Flacco is good enough to win a championship- As is Eli, as is Russell, as is Foles and also having Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees doesn’t guarantee anything from one season to another, not even a playoff birth. 

Finding a qb solution that fits the current program it just as important, if not more than chasing unicorns... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

I was going to ask if you were new... but seeing you actually are takes away both the humor and satisfaction 

Id still do that in that time and place.

That was meant as a joke. Misspellings was intentionally done to highlight said joke. 

I'm quite happy with Josh Allen leading this team. 

Go Bills!

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Per Schefter 

Awesome news for us!  According to ESPN the Broncos only have $18.3 million in cap space remaining with Paradis as a FA.

Says they can cut Sanders for $10 million, but what receivers will that leave Flacco?  Unless Elway already knows he can't keep MP.

Great news all around for us.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25988157/grading-joe-flacco-trade-ravens-broncos-how-did-denver-get-here

Edited by dezertbill