Ravens trading Joe Flacco to Broncos

YoloinOhio

17 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah. That's my point. The question going into last season was if Keenum could repeat hit good year, and he didn't.

Right Keenum had a fantastic year by anyone's standards. It sort of sets an unreasonable bar for himself and successors Flacco and Cousins. If they're close to that production on average they're doing fine (not great, but certainly not horrible)

On 2/14/2019 at 5:07 AM, Doc Brown said:

One of the criticisms of Keenum is he couldn't stretch the field so I guess acquiring Flacco makes sense as he has no guaranteed money left on his deal.  Will pry draft a QB this year obviously as he'll be a stopgap QB.  

It's not an insane move for the Broncos. Keenum was really, really bad last year. They have absolutely nobody else to turn to, and no prospect of drafting a first-year ready QB (there probably isn't one, unless ... Kyler Murray), or signing a free agent QB given their cap hell.  They have most of their important players (other than Chubb and, if he's for real, Lindsey; maybe Courtland Sutton) in their late primes or post-peak years. In other words: given where the Broncos are right now, a last ditch effort for one more playoff year and (who knows?) maybe one more Flacco playoff hot streak is unrealistic, but maybe better than the alternatives since they're not even in a position to tank right now. That'll come next year if this doesn't work.

Now, the Elway critics are right about one thing: he never should've let it get to this point. But he can't undo those bad decisions. From the perspective of February 2019, this strikes me as possibly the best they could do, the best of many poor alternatives.

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Flacco has always been a "meh" QB during the season....he really only is an "elite" QB during the playoffs, and then only sometimes.

Right ... and the issue will be actually getting to the playoffs. Nothing about the Broncos except Von Miller, Bradley Chubb and Phillip Lindsey (if healthy) seems playoff caliber to me. Flacco has played with a much better D in Baltimore imo. The broncos keep switching coaches and their personnel has slowly withered away from when they were that dominant defense a few years ago. .  I do think that elway has let fangio have a lot of input here and he feels Flacco gives them a better chance to win than Keenum. But I’m actually convinced that they want to draft Drew Locke and want him to sit behind Flacco for a year. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Right ... and the issue will be actually getting to the playoffs. Nothing about the Broncos except Von Miller, Bradley Chubb and Phillip Lindsey (if healthy) seems playoff caliber to me. Flacco has played with a much better D in Baltimore imo. The broncos keep switching coaches and their personnel has slowly withered away from when they were that dominant defense a few years ago. .  I do think that elway has let fangio have a lot of input here and he feels Flacco gives them a better chance to win than Keenum. But I’m actually convinced that they want to draft Drew Locke and want him to sit behind Flacco for a year. 

Haha...so Flacco will be in the same situation again this year as he was last year with a drafted rookie they want to take his job

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Haha...so Flacco will be in the same situation again this year as he was last year with a drafted rookie they want to take his job

Yeah I mean i just can’t fathom Elway not drafting a QB. Ravens had Flacco last year and felt the need to draft a QB in the 1st, and they were a better team. Maybe he waits until next year, but he is really pushing it after sitting last year out. Too bad incoherent Chad Kelly wandered into that poor person’s house that night. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah I mean i just can’t fathom Elway not drafting a QB. Maybe he waits until next year, but he is really pushing it after sitting last year out. Too bad incoherent Chad Kelly wandered into that poor person’s house that night. 

Really outside of a few moves recently and getting Peyton Manning to come there Elway has been a pretty bad GM on balance...

On 2/13/2019 at 12:58 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Exactly my point.  He’s a SB winning QB cuz a few lucky plays saved their playoff run.

One other thing, Alpha: if we're gonna count his lucky breaks, we need to count the supremely unlucky ones too. I give you Lee Evans with a Billy Cundiff chaser. They should have won the SB that year. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

One other thing, Alpha: if we're gonna count his lucky breaks, we need to count the supremely unlucky ones too. I give you Lee Evans with a Billy Cundiff chaser. They should have won the SB that year. 

Thats fair too.  And not trying to poo poo all over Flacco, anyone who can get to the NFL, win a SB, and get paid deserves lots of respect and credit.

My issue is more with Elway, who because he won a SB in 2015 with Elite D and terrible pass attack with the ghost of Peyton and dud Osweiler, keeps trying to bandaid the QB spot and replicate that.  But his D is no where near what that D was, and I think he’s doubling down on the same mistake last year where he elected not to draft a QB and instead sign a journeyman QB who had one solid PARTIAL season on his resume.

I mean Flacco and Keenan’s numbers are almost identical, and while I do believe Flacco to be a better QB, how much better is questionable, especially at this stage of Flacco’s career.  

Who knows, maybe Flacco ups his game with a new start and makes Elway look good.  Im deforest not shocked he did this, Denver was one of the two teams I thought would trade for Flacco based on Elways track record.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats fair too.  And not trying to poo poo all over Flacco, anyone who can get to the NFL, win a SB, and get paid deserves lots of respect and credit.

My issue is more with Elway, who because he won a SB in 2015 with Elite D and terrible pass attack with the ghost of Peyton and dud Osweiler, keeps trying to bandaid the QB spot and replicate that.  But his D is no where near what that D was, and I think he’s doubling down on the same mistake last year where he elected not to draft a QB and instead sign a journeyman QB who had one solid PARTIAL season on his resume.

I mean Flacco and Keenan’s numbers are almost identical, and while I do believe Flacco to be a better QB, how much better is questionable, especially at this stage of Flacco’s career.  

Who knows, maybe Flacco ups his game with a new start and makes Elway look good.  Im deforest not shocked he did this, Denver was one of the two teams I thought would trade for Flacco based on Elways track record.  

I forgot where I read it, but the writer pointed to Flacco's strong performance in 2014, when Baltimore ran a Kubiak/Shanahan system. Statistically it was the second best season of his career. He played very well against NE in that playoff game, but of course Baltimore choked ...

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I forgot where I read it, but the writer pointed to Flacco's strong performance in 2014, when Baltimore ran a Kubiak/Shanahan system. Statistically it was the second best season of his career. He played very well against NE in that playoff game, but of course Baltimore choked ...

Well he's gonna be 5 years older now too though and gone through some big injuries.  I am skeptical, but hey guys like Rich Gannon, Testaverde, etc have had a big late career resurgences, even putting up the best years of their careers.  Im sure Elway knows a lot more about QBs than me too haha, but I still remain skeptical this moves the needle much for them in a division with Mahomes and Rivers still.  

I think Elway is hurting the team long term by trying to be just good enough to kind of compete now, but facing a major uphill battle to get buy the Chiefs in their own division and also contend with rising AFC teams that include the Colts, Browms, Texans, and even us to be honest.  They are going to end up behind the curve with an old roster while these younger ascending rosters have a big head start on them.  

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, H2o said:

Social media........ Where your common closet dumb*** becomes an internationally known version.

...so fortunate this wasn't around in my day for me to publicly document my youthful stupidity.

• Like (+1) 1