Ravens trading Joe Flacco to Broncos

YoloinOhio

One of the criticisms of Keenum is he couldn't stretch the field so I guess acquiring Flacco makes sense as he has no guaranteed money left on his deal.  Will pry draft a QB this year obviously as he'll be a stopgap QB.  

15 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He's not Buddy Nix-drafting a QB because he "has to".  In a bad QB draft where any decent QB will be gone by the time he picks and in no mood to trade up in this class what else is he supposed to do?  The smart thing is to do what Buddy should have-have a veteran start this season & wait until next year.  If Elway really likes someone next year, then draft him, otherwise if Flacco works out he sticks with him, if not,  major tank in 2020 for Lawrence. 

I would bet this QB draft turns into any other, “average”. You’ll get 1-2 decent starters out of it. Maybe one guy will surprise and actually be good. The rest will bust. Ho hum just another year in the NFL draft. Major tanking is not really a thing in the NFL. With no draft lottery you have to out tank 31 other teams, while keeping your job in the process. It is next to impossible to accurately tank and keep your job. Elway hasn’t drafted a good QB since... ever. He’s tried it five times and failed miserably. Actually, looking back, maybe he just realizes he’s terrible at drafting QB’s?

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

I would bet this QB draft turns into any other, “average”. You’ll get 1-2 decent starters out of it. Maybe one guy will surprise and actually be good. The rest will bust. Ho hum just another year in the NFL draft. Major tanking is not really a thing in the NFL. With no draft lottery you have to out tank 31 other teams, while keeping your job in the process. It is next to impossible to accurately tank and keep your job. Elway hasn’t drafted a good QB since... ever. He’s tried it five times and failed miserably. Actually, looking back, maybe he just realizes he’s terrible at drafting QB’s?

I wouldn't say he's failed miserably with the 5 QBs drafted.  Has he failed?  Yes, but 3 of those 5 were just 7th round flyers.  I don't think you can count a 7th rounder, including one Mr. Irrelevant, as a failure.  Nobody is counting on a 7th round QB to turn a franchise around, all those 3 7th rounders were, were shots at a dart board.  The fact that one actually started a season & is still in the NFL is beating the odds.

Now his 2 higher picks were failures, especially trading up in the 1st round to draft Lynch, but there are a lot of GMs who have blown 1st rounders on QBs and survived.  Osweiller has performed like a lot of 2nd round QBs, drafted to develop, left the team as an overrated free agent and proved not to be the answer.  Considering that around 70% of the starting QBs in the NFL today are former 1st round picks,  I don't hold a non 1st round QB pick as a failure.  So IMO, Elway really failed only once, not 5 times.  Where Elway blew it was last year.  He was sitting at 5 and decided against drafting a QB.  He could have easily traded up & aced out the Jets if he wanted a top QB in a top QB draft.  If the Bills were right on Allen, or even Arizona on Rosen,  then Elway blew it taking Chubb.  

Also, no matter how he did it, Elway got the Broncos to 2 AFC titles including a championship.  If we had a GM who came in, beat NE twice in AFC championship games & brought the Lombardi Trophy to Buffalo, we'd be erecting a statue of him at 1 Bills Drive & not picking on him for 7th round flyers.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Flacco doesn't seem to have much mobility.  But Keenum is about the worst 3rd down QB in the league.  Overall should be a slight upgrade for Broncos. 

The only reason Elway got Keenum because he was one of only very few QB's available, but he wasn't any better than Trevor Siemian was.  Broncos won't likely take a QB in first round because they can't afford another Paxton Lynch debacle.  But they might take a Drew Lock in round 2 if available.  

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Vegas odds to win SB got worse after this trade. From 100-1 to 125-1.

https://twitter.com/nickgriffithtv/status/1095806267615076352?s=21

fyi at Westgate there was much “meh” as they stayed at 60-1.

But I read here that Flacco would benefit from Denver's veterans and magically improve even though he has been crap for a long time=)    So shouldn't those odds go up?

8 hours ago, dezertbill said:

I believe Foles has a greater effect on the QB market than Flacco.  Not sure many teams were interested in a 34 year old QB who's stats were declining with a bloated contract when you can draft a young stud for value over the next 5 years that can be a better player.

I agree about Nick Foles. 

The problem is... before the Flacco trade, the draft placement for Denver was perfect for us.

If you are looking for a trade-down, the best place to be is 1-2 spots before a team that needs a Quarterback.

Miami and Washington no longer have the incentive to move into the Top 10, unless Denver can still convince everyone they will still be taking a QB at #10.

10 hours ago, dezertbill said:

I believe Foles has a greater effect on the QB market than Flacco.  Not sure many teams were interested in a 34 year old QB who's stats were declining with a bloated contract when you can draft a young stud for value over the next 5 years that can be a better player.

Theres rumored mutual interest between the Jags and Foles right now. Wonder if a deal might be worked out that unloads some salary being moved to the Eagles if it were to go down (maybe someone like Dareus is part of the deal with a pick?)

12 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

BUT didn't they already have that with Keenum AND they would have kept their draft pick and save money on their cap?

Keenum had one good year in his career, Flacco has been good for many more years and actually won stuff. Keenum was bad last year.

57 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Theres rumored mutual interest between the Jags and Foles right now. Wonder if a deal might be worked out that unloads some salary being moved to the Eagles if it were to go down (maybe someone like Dareus is part of the deal with a pick?)

Keenum had one good year in his career, Flacco has been good for many more years and actually won stuff. Keenum was bad last year.

And he wasn't even that good....he played on a team with the #1 defense.

16 hours ago, MJS said:

I think the point that most people are making is that Flacco, despite career successes, is CURRENTLY not very good. I agree with that sentiment. He will put together a couple good games a season, but is usually mediocre of late.

I put him in a similar boat as Eli Manning. Both have been good, both have won Superbowls, but both are now not very good.

Flacco has always been really good in the post season, but less good in the regular season.

Well, Keenum had a career year in 2017. That year was a statistical anomaly and ultimately got him his contract in Denver. Looking at the past two years is definitely cherry picking.

Actually just makes Flacco's worst comparable to Keenum's best lol

9 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Actually just makes Flacco's worst comparable to Keenum's best lol

Yeah. That's my point. The question going into last season was if Keenum could repeat hit good year, and he didn't.