Ravens trading Joe Flacco to Broncos

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

When's the last time our team did that...? 7 years ago...? Might as well be 60 here.

Nobody would be complaining with his record in Buffalo. 

Yeah, seven years ago was sooooo 18th century... talk about a short attention span.

Are you claiming that Flacco has been a good QB in recent seasons?

19 minutes ago, dubs said:

Benny from the Bronx,

i think the point is, yes Flacco had some great runs, but that was a long time ago and it doesn’t appear he’s even close to that player anymore. 

Joe Namath was a Super Bowl MVP QB - do you want him to trot out as the starting QB for the Bills in 2019?

Wow... there's an argument. Namath eh? Didn't realize Flacco was in his 70s...

Talk about false comparisons...

36 minutes ago, MJS said:

Are you claiming that Flacco has been a good QB in recent seasons?

I'm saying he has been a very good QB over his entire career and has the experience of beating great teams, on the road when it mattered.

Elway isn't looking for Mahomes... He's looking for a good game manager with experience. Flacco has proven to be that and be efficient.

That's what he did in Baltimore and that's the philosophy Denver won a championship with in 2015. So, good match.

Edited by Búfalo Blanco

2 hours ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

Let me ask you this... The Broncos have to pay him NO guaranteed money (assuming there's no new negotiations) and have allegedly given up only a 4th rd pick. With a thin QB draft class and a Broncos team that (as I explained) would rather win now, while they still have some great veterans... where's the risk? Free agency doesn't look so great for QB options...

The fact remains, he can't play anymore. He overachieved for two years. Great playoff run. T hats it. Reminds me of Mark Rypien. He's toast

Flacco going to Denver is good news for anyone who wants to sign John Brown.  Any chance of Brown following Flacco wherever he goes probably just flew out the window, as Brown's Sickle cell condition & the high altitude of Denver would not be a good pairing.

11 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

A fact...? Alright Bill Polian... I guess Elway has nothing on your expertise. 

Polian didn't draft Kelly..but he knew enough to get him signed. And enough to take Reich with him to Carolina. And then drafted Peyton Manning. What is your argument??? Elway has not done squat at the one and only position he ever played. Say what you want...Elway is far inferior to Polian as far as evaluating talent at QB. Elway drafted Paxton Lynch. Signed Peyton. And then tried Keenum. Lmao. Its not even close! And this is evidence.he's gonna lose his job after this year. 

Ok...maybe not evidence, but obvious

Edited by BuffAlone

2 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Polian didn't draft Kelly..but he knew enough to get him signed. And enough to take Reich with him to Carolina. And then drafted Peyton Manning. What is your argument??? Elway has not done squat at the one and only position he ever played. Say what you want...Elway is far inferior to Polian as far as evaluating talent at QB. Elway drafted Paxton Lynch. Signed Peyton. And then tried Keenum. Lmao. Its not even close! And this is evidence.he's gonna lose his job after this year. 

Ok...maybe not evidence, but obvious

Comparing Polian to Elway was not my argument... I was referring to you and your "facts".

Elway has a been quite successful in Denver as GM. Since 2011, he has four division titles, two AFC Championships, two Super Bowl appearances and one Lombardi trophy. In trading for Flacco, not only is he not giving up much (assuming it's just a 4th rd pick) or paying anything in guarantees... he's also following the same model he did in 2015, which won the Super Bowl. Bring in a game managing, efficient and experienced QB to go along with a very good defense and good running game. If he adds to that defense in the offseason, like he did before and works on his offensive line through FA and the draft, Denver could contend again. 

In 8 seasons as GM, he has done more for the Broncos than anyone has for our favorite franchise... 

19 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

Comparing Polian to Elway was not my argument... I was referring to you and your "facts".

Elway has a been quite successful in Denver as GM. Since 2011, he has four division titles, two AFC Championships, two Super Bowl appearances and one Lombardi trophy. In trading for Flacco, not only is he not giving up much (assuming it's just a 4th rd pick) or paying anything in guarantees... he's also following the same model he did in 2015, which won the Super Bowl. Bring in a game managing, efficient and experienced QB to go along with a very good defense and good running game. If he adds to that defense in the offseason, like he did before and works on his offensive line through FA and the draft, Denver could contend again. 

In 8 seasons as GM, he has done more for the Broncos than anyone has for our favorite franchise... 

He can't find a QB. Period! T hats the fact that you don't see. Polian was brought up by YOU...NOT ME. This point was about Flacco....not the rest of the team. Hello?? Are we there yet?? 

Fact is, Flacco had a good run in the playoffs. So did Rypien. So did Dilfer. So did Doug Williams. They weren't great QB's. And fizzled out. that's my point. Elway hasn't shown ***** outside of that. Can we agree on that? Cuz that's a FACT

Edited by BuffAlone

Oh my....maybe I've had too much coffee tonight lol

7 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

He can't find a QB. Period! T hats the fact t

27 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

hat you don't see. Polian was brought up by YOU...NOT ME. This point was about Flacco....not the rest of the team. Hello?? Are we there yet?? 

Fact is, Flacco had a good run in the playoffs. So did Rypien. So did Dilfer. So did Doug Williams. They weren't great QB's. And fizzled out. that's my point. Elway hasn't shown ***** outside of that. Can we agree on that? Cuz that's a FACT

You came at me sarcastically. Calling out my "expertise" . calling me Polian. Speaking facts. What's a matter sunshine? Ain't that what was said? I'm not seeing your confusion. I broke it down in the most lamen of terms I know how....what's the issue????

7 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

He can't find a QB. Period! T hats the fact that you don't see. Polian was brought up by YOU...NOT ME. This point was about Flacco....not the rest of the team. Hello?? Are we there yet?? 

????  Oh man... Oh, I just can’t... Ok, forget anything that was said about Polian, eh? Yeah, you’re absolutely right... Elway has not drafted the next Tom Brady... therefore, he absolutely sucks as a GM. Forget the SB win... he’s horrible. Fluke.. You got me, man. Flacco is a disgrace... complete luck that he got a ring. It was all Ray Lewis...

3 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

????  Oh man... Oh, I just can’t... Ok, forget anything that was said about Polian, eh? Yeah, you’re absolutely right... Elway has not drafted the next Tom Brady... therefore, he absolutely sucks as a GM. Forget the SB win... he’s horrible. Fluke.. You got me, man. Flacco is a disgrace... complete luck that he got a ring. It was all Ray Lewis...

Ttrivial b.s.. What I said was, he cannot go find a QB. And Flacco will be amongst his failures in that department as well. Lol. He no doubt built a great defense, won a super bowl, but this thread is about Flacco...who CAN NOT PLAY ANYMORE.  Do we understand each other now?

Edited by BuffAlone

3 hours ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

I'm saying he has been a very good QB over his entire career and has the experience of beating great teams, on the road when it mattered.

Elway isn't looking for Mahomes... He's looking for a good game manager with experience. Flacco has proven to be that and be efficient.

That's what he did in Baltimore and that's the philosophy Denver won a championship with in 2015. So, good match.

I think the point that most people are making is that Flacco, despite career successes, is CURRENTLY not very good. I agree with that sentiment. He will put together a couple good games a season, but is usually mediocre of late.

I put him in a similar boat as Eli Manning. Both have been good, both have won Superbowls, but both are now not very good.

Flacco has always been really good in the post season, but less good in the regular season.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well, Keenum had a career year in 2017. That year was a statistical anomaly and ultimately got him his contract in Denver. Looking at the past two years is definitely cherry picking.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yeah, not sure I understand the reactions here.  Flacco is a day 1 starter while a rookie holds the clipboard and learns (like QBs used to do).   

BUT didn't they already have that with Keenum AND they would have kept their draft pick and save money on their cap?

13 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I guess the possible Free Agents can be looked at as a positive. 

But it's definitely a negative for anyone hoping for a trade-down, or for more non-QB talent to drop in the draft.

The QB needy teams now stand as:

#6 - New York Giants

#7 - Jacksonville Jaguars

#13 - Miami Dolphins

#15 - Washington Redskins

Out best bet was for either the Dolphins or Redskins to make a move to get ahead of Denver (drafting at #10).

It's still possible that Washington tries to move ahead of Miami.  But now they have other teams like Denver, Cincinnati and Green Bay to negotiate with, which drives down the price we can ask.

I believe Foles has a greater effect on the QB market than Flacco.  Not sure many teams were interested in a 34 year old QB who's stats were declining with a bloated contract when you can draft a young stud for value over the next 5 years that can be a better player.