Ravens trading Joe Flacco to Broncos

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

this is awesome. its blows my mind how much a playoff run nearly a decade ago clouds peoples judgment on this guy.... he's been barely average ever since.

This from a Bills fan. We'd all trade Marv Levy's sack for Flacco's SB ring.

Nice little bonus... He's beaten Brady/Belichick twice at Gillette in the postseason.

4 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

This from a Bills fan. We'd all trade Marv Levy's sack for Flacco's SB ring.

Nice little bonus... He's beaten Brady/Belichick twice at Gillette in the postseason.

my bad. he's still good because of a 4 game run 7 years ago. great points here!.... what was I thinking. GEEZ.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

my bad. he's still good because of a 4 game run 7 years ago..... what was I thinking. GEEZ.

When's the last time our team did that...? 7 years ago...? Might as well be 60 here.

Nobody would be complaining with his record in Buffalo. 

Yeah, seven years ago was sooooo 18th century... talk about a short attention span.

Just now, Búfalo Blanco said:

When's the last time our team did that...? 7 years ago...? Might as well be 60 here.

Nobody would be complaining with his record in Buffalo. 

Yeah, seven years ago was sooooo 18th century... talk about a short attention span.

how in gods name does this have anything to do with how he's played over the last handful of years? Baltimore has moved on. soon so will the rest of the nfl. you are arguing that since a dude won a title almost a decade ago that it somehow makes him worthwhile now.... that's just really really stupid.

he hasn't been good. 

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The Saints successfully maneuvered out of "cap hell" through excellent drafting.

In fact, you may not find a better drafting team over the past few years.

Teams with salary cap problems have trouble re-signing talent, adding free agents and may be forced to cut players under contract.

The Saints have been forced to do this.  You just don't notice the players they are losing, because they are easily replacing them with draft picks.

Yep.........which is what I said.

And few have drafted and maneuvered personnel as well as Elway did in that rapid stretch where he converted the team with the NFL's highest scoring offense ever into the league's top defense without missing a beat.

Most teams don't do as well as Elway did then or Loomis did recently with the Saints..........but those other teams still never really pay some great price for their aggressive use of the cap.

Bills fans are just particularly vulnerable to the utterance of "salary cap hell" because Tom Donahue used the Bills serious cap issues as a cover to do much more damage than necessary in the name of re-sculpting the franchise into his preferred form...........and in the process set the drought period in motion by extracting the team's identity and winning culture.

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

how in gods name does this have anything to do with how he's played over the last handful of years? Baltimore has moved on. soon so will the rest of the nfl. you are arguing that since a dude won a title almost a decade ago that it somehow makes him worthwhile now.... that's just really really stupid.

he hasn't been good. 

Hey, when you see the big picture it's not that hard. 

But, you'd have to put yourself in Elway's shoes... He hires a defensive guru in Fangio as HC (30+ years in the league, top scoring D in CHI last season), already has some top defensive playmakers and an aging, veteran team. Drafting and developing a QB now is not a good decision currently for Denver, unlike say Buffalo. Bring in a great game manager, play great, aggressive defense and an above average running game. Balance... same sort of roster framework as when they won it all in 2015. Flacco has been fine... but he's a top game manager on a historically great defensive team. Super Bowl champs win with balance... not just a QB throwing 50 TDs.

But you're a "what have you done for me this milisecond" sort of dude... so relating to Denver re-creating their 2015 model must be like the 1950s for you.

6 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

Hey, when you see the big picture it's not that hard. 

But, you'd have to put yourself in Elway's shoes... He hires a defensive guru in Fangio as HC (30+ years in the league, top scoring D in CHI last season), already has some top defensive playmakers and an aging, veteran team. Drafting and developing a QB now is not a good decision currently for Denver, unlike say Buffalo. Bring in a great game manager, play great, aggressive defense and an above average running game. Balance... same sort of roster framework as when they won it all in 2015. Flacco has been fine... but he's a top game manager on a historically great defensive team. Super Bowl champs win with balance... not just a QB throwing 50 TDs.

But you're a "what have you done for me this milisecond" sort of dude... so relating to Denver re-creating their 2015 model must be like the 1950s for you.

right. me not liking one playoff berth since 2012 and a 1.4 td/int ratio over the last 3 seasons is "what have you done for me this millisecond" type of thinking. BTW that ratio is ranked 34th during that span. theres a myriad of other numbers he's been subpar at as well if you want me to list them......

but ya, because I think a below average qb that's passed his prime isn't gonna take a defense that's passed its prime to the playoffs i'm a "this millisecond" type of thinker.... get a clue, man. denvers defense hasn't been elite since that run..... but then again you are still talking about flaccos run from 7 years ago.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

right. me not liking one playoff berth since 2012 and a 1.4 td/int ratio over the last 3 seasons is "what have you done for me this millisecond" type of thinking. BTW that ratio is ranked 34th during that span. theres a myriad of other numbers he's been subpar at as well if you want me to list them......

but ya, "this millisecond".... get a clue, man.

Oh, I've got a clue... and just explained what I believe Elway's strategy is... 

I can trade stats with you all day... that can be skewed for any argument.

The fact is, he's a former SB MVP who has beaten the Patriots dynasty twice in Foxboro in the playoffs... I believe Mark Sanchez is the only other QB who can claim that. He can win under pressure. That's the bottom line.

Again, a bunch of Bills fans railing on a SB MVP QB... hilarious...  

3 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

The fact is, he's a former SB MVP who has beaten the Patriots dynasty twice in Foxboro in the playoffs... I believe Mark Sanchez is the only other QB who can claim that. He can win under pressure. That's the bottom line.

from 7 years ago..... that literally pertains to the present time 0%.... you're hilarious. 

who else should the broncos go get because they were good at one time a decade ago? this is fun. I like this.

this might be a foreign concept to you. novel, i'm sure..... but you can realized a player was good a while ago and understand now that they aren't the same player and havnt been for quite some time.... ITS A CRAZY CONCEPT, RIGHT???!!!

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I would have bet money Elway had finally learned his lesson about re-tread QB’s and was going to draft one this season. 

He's not Buddy Nix-drafting a QB because he "has to".  In a bad QB draft where any decent QB will be gone by the time he picks and in no mood to trade up in this class what else is he supposed to do?  The smart thing is to do what Buddy should have-have a veteran start this season & wait until next year.  If Elway really likes someone next year, then draft him, otherwise if Flacco works out he sticks with him, if not,  major tank in 2020 for Lawrence. 

10 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

from 7 years ago..... that literally pertains to the present time 0%.... you're hilarious. 

who else should the broncos go get because they were good at one time a decade ago? this is fun. I like this.

this might be a foreign concept to you. novel, i'm sure..... but you can realized a player was good a while ago and understand now that they aren't the same player and havnt been for quite some time.... ITS A CRAZY CONCEPT, RIGHT???!!!

Let me ask you this... The Broncos have to pay him NO guaranteed money (assuming there's no new negotiations) and have allegedly given up only a 4th rd pick. With a thin QB draft class and a Broncos team that (as I explained) would rather win now, while they still have some great veterans... where's the risk? Free agency doesn't look so great for QB options...

6 hours ago, FluffHead said:

They reportedly love Drew Lock, I don’t think this rules them out from still taking him 

Yeah, not sure I understand the reactions here.  Flacco is a day 1 starter while a rookie holds the clipboard and learns (like QBs used to do).   

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is so Elway. He has no clue how to draft and develop a QB.

This post is clueless. 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...unfortunately as long as the Bowlen family owns the Broncos ("Papa Pat" derailed by severe Alzheimers), Elway will forever walk on water no matter how many gaffes he makes...."Teflon John" .......

He has done a really good job including winning a super bowl with the broncos. 

41 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

This post is clueless. 

He has done a really good job including winning a super bowl with the broncos. 

Who has Elway brought in that would show he has any clue about evaluating QBs? Aside from Manning at the end of his career, and now Flacco, those are the best QBs he has had.

I've never understood the dislike for Flacco. But apparently Vegas feels the same cause before the deal Broncos were 100:1 odds for SB, now they are 125:1

2 hours ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

Benny from the Bronx,

i think the point is, yes Flacco had some great runs, but that was a long time ago and it doesn’t appear he’s even close to that player anymore. 

Joe Namath was a Super Bowl MVP QB - do you want him to trot out as the starting QB for the Bills in 2019?

• Thank you (+1) 1