Ravens trading Joe Flacco to Broncos

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Awesome news for us!  According to ESPN the Broncos only have $18.3 million in cap space remaining with Paradis as a FA.

Says they can cut Sanders for $10 million, but what receivers will that leave Flacco?  Unless Elway already knows he can't keep MP.

Great news all around for us.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25988157/grading-joe-flacco-trade-ravens-broncos-how-did-denver-get-here

In other salary cap news.............when are the Saints going to have to pay for being in "salary cap hell" for the past decade?

Oh yeah........never..........because salary cap excuses are mostly for teams that are actually just trying to make excuses for why they aren't going to win this year.

The salary cap is kinda' like a zero% credit card.

The Broncos can just push cap debt into next year or the following and eventually.......like the Saints.........they will hope to hit a couple decent drafts where they end up getting lot's of contributions from young players and UDFA's and cycle out some of the old guys and *poof* they never have to pay any interest on that credit card.

They may not get to the level of the Saints but I suspect they will never be engulfed with salary cap issues............we tend to forget that it used to be fairly common for a bunch of teams to be $30M over the cap going into the offseason.........teams don't often get that far out of line anymore.......to the point where now we think of teams that are $30M over as being too close to the cap for comfort.

30 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Awesome news for us!  According to ESPN the Broncos only have $18.3 million in cap space remaining with Paradis as a FA.

Says they can cut Sanders for $10 million, but what receivers will that leave Flacco?  Unless Elway already knows he can't keep MP.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25988157/grading-joe-flacco-trade-ravens-broncos-how-did-denver-get-here

Exactly what I was thinking

24 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

I guess the possible Free Agents can be looked at as a positive. 

But it's definitely a negative for anyone hoping for a trade-down, or for more non-QB talent to drop in the draft.

The QB needy teams now stand as:

#6 - New York Giants

#7 - Jacksonville Jaguars

#13 - Miami Dolphins

#15 - Washington Redskins

Out best bet was for either the Dolphins or Redskins to make a move to get ahead of Denver (drafting at #10).

It's still possible that Washington tries to move ahead of Miami.  But now they have other teams like Denver, Cincinnati and Green Bay to negotiate with, which drives down the price we can ask.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In other salary cap news.............when are the Saints going to have to pay for being in "salary cap hell" for the past decade?

Oh yeah........never..........because salary cap excuses are mostly for teams that are actually just trying to make excuses for why they aren't going to win this year.

The salary cap is kinda' like a zero% credit card.

The Broncos can just push cap debt into next year or the following and eventually.......like the Saints.........they will hope to hit a couple decent drafts where they end up getting lot's of contributions from young players and UDFA's and cycle out some of the old guys and *poof* they never have to pay any interest on that credit card.

They may not get to the level of the Saints but I suspect they will never be engulfed with salary cap issues............we tend to forget that it used to be fairly common for a bunch of teams to be $30M over the cap going into the offseason.........teams don't often get that far out of line anymore.......to the point where now we think of teams that are $30M over as being too close to the cap for comfort.

The Saints successfully maneuvered out of "cap hell" through excellent drafting.

In fact, you may not find a better drafting team over the past few years.

Teams with salary cap problems have trouble re-signing talent, adding free agents and may be forced to cut players under contract.

The Saints have been forced to do this.  You just don't notice the players they are losing, because they are easily replacing them with draft picks.

8 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The Saints successfully maneuvered out of "cap hell" through excellent drafting.

In fact, you may not find a better drafting team over the past few years.

Teams with salary cap problems have trouble re-signing talent, adding free agents and may be forced to cut players under contract.

The Saints have been forced to do this.  You just don't notice the players they are losing, because they are easily replacing them with draft picks.

Im not trying to disparage your entire point, because the Saints have drafted well at times. But man, it's tough to make that point after seeing their 2018 draft and giving up this year's 1st for... Marcus Davenport.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im seeing more "reports" that it is Flacco for a 4th Round Pick. (Probably just people echoing the same rumor, but still...)

If that is true, how good does it make Beane and trading Tyrod for the first pick in the 3rd Round look?

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

I guess the Ravens are all in on Jackson. In my opinion Jackson will struggle and ultimately fail. Why? Because he is not a passer, he is a runner. Defenses are going find ways to contain him in the pocket and force him to be a QB, like they always do, and he is not going function there.

50 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Im not trying to disparage your entire point, because the Saints have drafted well at times. But man, it's tough to make that point after seeing their 2018 draft and giving up this year's 1st for... Marcus Davenport.

It's too early to judge 2018.  But either way, it's really irrelevant to the point I was making.

They did kill the 2017 and 2016 drafts, which has allowed them to overcome the "salary cap hell" they were faced with.

For instance - They decided to trade away Brandin Cooks, knowing they would be unable to re-sign him in Free Agency the next season.  But they never missed Cooks at all, thanks to them landing Michael Thomas in the second round the same year.

• Like (+1) 1

I met a Broncos fan at the bar a few weeks ago and when she told me the team had no plan at quarterback I suggested this exact scenario. It makes a ton of sense. I don’t think the Broncos think of Flacco as their answer at QB. Instead, I think this tells us they don’t like the options at QB in the 2019 draft and they’re getting Flacco as a bridge to the 2020 draft. They’ll draft their rookie QB next year and he can learn under Flacco for a year.

This is actually bad news for anyone hoping Buffalo would trade down. If Denver is truly out of the QB market this year, there’s less incentive for teams like Washington to trade with Buffalo to jump ahead of the Broncos. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Get ready for 12 minutes of throws vs the Bills. Philip Gaines though ... 

Wow, that 2nd throw is not even a good throw. He underthrew into triple coverage. Luckily the defenders never looked and didn't expect the ball to be so underthrown. That's an INT 99/100 times.

• Sad 1