Marcel Dareus’ contract.

Tipster19

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He was def tops in the league in 2013 and among the top 3 in 2014.

Id still take him and his salary over Star and his any day of the week.

It's not even a question. Marcel is an elite talent, Star is a space eater. It wasn't Dareus fault, McDermott didn't use him properly. The Jags D became elite and got to the AFC Championship Game with Marcel anchoring the D-Line

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

It's not even a question. Marcel is an elite talent, Star is a space eater. It wasn't Dareus fault, McDermott didn't use him properly. The Jags D became elite and got to the AFC Championship Game with Marcel anchoring the D-Line

Really? It was the coaches fault Dareus became lazy?  Wasn’t Dareus also anchoring the d-line during their awful run last year. The logic in here is so absurd sometime. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

This is complete hyperbole on your part.   2014 was better in some aspects, they recorded more sacks and had a few more interceptions.  However, last years team gave up less yardage a game, especially against the pass.  Against the rush the difference is pretty negligible, the 2014 team has 2018 by about 8 yards a game.

2014 was not better in every aspect.  Just the highlights.   They werent even a higher ranked defense, in 2014 they were ranked 4th.  In 2018 they were ranked 2nd.  Again, its close and by no means was 2018 far better than 2014, but I would take Star every day of the week over the Captain Hat. 

That 2014 defense was able to impose their will because the defensive line was physically dominant. Only dominant DL we've had in 20 plus years. The 2018 defense was very, very good, but not really capable of dominating the LOS. That's why I'm hoping for a high impact defensive lineman to put them over the top.

Big defensive plays generally start up front and they're a precious commodity in today's NFL.

28 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

The Jags' defense was good before he joined them, he played about a third of the snaps, and the Jags gave up 42 points to the Steelers in the AFCDG.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Bills had the second ranked defense in the league last year with Star, they were never that good with Dareus.   Star also made 5 million less than Dareus last year.

I doubt we ever have to worry about Star being suspended by the league because he was feeling sad and couldnt obey rules, drag racing, eating himself out of shape, or being investigated for assault.

When I see the Dareus apologists on this board I wonder if I am the only fan who lived through his madness.   He hasnt been anything more than an average DT since 2014. 

Good lord stop. I get it, Dareus had to go. But this take is nuclear.

You don't need to go fiery hot on a Dareus take to convince "Dareus apologists" and anybody here he was dogging it on a stupid expensive contract and became virtually useless.

But our 2014 defense was studly.. it's why we had a winning record. 4th best defense both in points for and yards. Last year with Star, the defense was 18th in points against.. waaay too many games where our defense got ran over by a truck. 6-10 teams don't have the 2nd best defense in the NFL. 2014 defense was a factor in winning games, 9 lol. That was a better defense than last year's. Dareus was an All-Pro. I seriously doubt Star is All-Pro caliber.

The Bills defense was better in 2014.. which included Dareus.. a 1st team All-Pro. He sucked afterwards. We all know the story. 

Call me a 2014 Bills defense apologist. Those guys were legit!

peak Dareus > peak Star, Star's career > Dareus' career..

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Good lord stop. I get it, Dareus had to go. But this take is nuclear.

You don't need to go fiery hot on a Dareus take to convince "Dareus apologists" and anybody here he was dogging it on a stupid expensive contract and became virtually useless.

But our 2014 defense was studly.. it's why we had a winning record. 4th best defense both in points for and yards. Last year with Star, the defense was 18th in points against.. waaay too many games where our defense got ran over by a truck. 6-10 teams don't have the 2nd best defense in the NFL. 2014 defense was a factor in winning games, 9 lol. That was a better defense than last year's. Dareus was an All-Pro. Star will never win one.

The Bills defense was better in 2014.. which included Dareus.. a 1st team All-Pro. He sucked afterwards. We all know the story. 

Call me a 2014 Bills defense apologist. Those guys were legit!

Agree to disagree.   I think the defense has a reputation on this board because they had a ton of sacks and a cool nickname.  They were fun to watch, I agree with that.  But I also think the defense benefited a ton by playing end of career Vick twice, Tannehill twice, Manziel, Bridgewater, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Jay Cutler.

They also disappeared when they needed to pull it together against the Broncos, and 3-13 Raiders when the season was on the line. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Agree to disagree.   I think the defense has a reputation on this board because they had a ton of sacks and a cool nickname.  They were fun to watch, I agree with that.  But I also think the defense benefited a ton by playing end of career Vick twice, Tannehill twice, Manziel, Bridgewater, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Jay Cutler.

They also disappeared when they needed to pull it together against the Broncos, and 3-13 Raiders when the season was on the line. 

Oh they for sure blew it down the stretch. I just don't think this defense we just had was anything special either. But with a losing record and the offense being as useless as it was for so many games, arguing over how well the 2018 defense ranks is a pointless debate.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc said:

And that was all attributable to Dareus? 

Then again, maybe it was.  But again, he was a different player back then.  That ship has sailed.

Kyle was 4 yrs younger, Super Mario was there and Hughes was 4 yrs younger. Bradham, Spikes and Kiko at lb and Manny Lawson was playing well. Leodis and Gilmore at CB. Aaron William and Searcy at safety. All of that and I haven't even mentioned Dareus. IMO, not attributable to Darues. I do like him and hope he has good playing years ahead. It won't be here though. I like Star. He does what he was brought in to do. His contract doesn't bother me.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, teef said:

Really? It was the coaches fault Dareus became lazy?  Wasn’t Dareus also anchoring the d-line during their awful run last year. The logic in here is so absurd sometime. 

No the d fell off a cliff after he was traded

He was paid a huge contract to be a Aaron Donald type disruption.  He was paid to get after QBs, and to make plays in the run game - NOT to eat space in a 2-gap rex ryan scheme.  

Since his 1 all-pro year where he had 10 sacks (and subsequently got paid) - he has 8.5 sacks over 4 years.  His TFL, QB hits... every aspect of his game is worse over than it was.  

He's still a good player - and would be a valuable member of a rotation with every team in the league.  He's still quick enough to play 3T, and big enough to play NT.  He isn't scheme dependent - even if his best fit is in something more 4-3, he could still play any position on the line in a 3-4 and be just fine.  

I still wouldn't even consider bringing him back under any circumstances.  He's just not a fit with this bills team - especially with Kyle Williams no longer on the roster.