Marcel Dareus’ contract.

Tipster19

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...highly touted and then the wheels fell off...what happened?......

1) Blake Bortles.

2) Too many stars and not enough grinders on D.

3) Injuries and OL dysfunction.

4) Rest of their division got better and caught them by surprise.

5) Caught up in hype........which contributed to 1 thru 4

In some ways their D last year reminded me of those Bills SB years defenses...........loaded with stars trying to make big plays but not really into that "defend every blade of grass" thing that some of the better defenses are into.    Works fine when you have an offense that gives you leads...........but it wasn't the same defense they were playing the year earlier.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Blake Bortles.

2) Too many stars and not enough grinders on D.

3) Injuries and OL dysfunction.

4) Rest of their division got better and caught them by surprise.

5) Caught up in hype........which contributed to 1 thru 4

In some ways their D last year reminded me of those Bills SB years defenses...........loaded with stars trying to make big plays but not really into that "defend every blade of grass" thing that some of the better defenses are into.    Works fine when you have an offense that gives you leads...........but it wasn't the same defense they were playing the year earlier.

...all very valid points.....so I think it's safe to say theat despite all of the kicking and screaming as to how OBD effed up by not bringing in  Coughlin as the "cure all czar", a similar tenable situation in Bflo with no magic wand or rabbits in his top hat would have produced similar results......yet another example of "the name game" as being the right answer....

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...all very valid points.....so I think it's safe to say theat despite all of the kicking and screaming as to how OBD effed up by not bringing in  Coughlin as the "cure all czar", a similar tenable situation in Bflo with no magic wand or rabbits in his top hat would have produced similar results......yet another example of "the name game" as being the right answer....

Yeah I'm not that big of a fan of using guys like Polian or Coughlin as a "czar".........if the game hasn't passed them by they certainly are clinging to it by their fingernails.........but ultimately the Pegula's definitely needed better direction than they were getting from Russ.

Russ was a lousy football man and The Pegs were very, very casual football fans.    

When you live a few blocks from Rich Stadium and can't make it to a single game during the SB era.........you aren't that into it.

So we are enduring a learning curve with them as they get steered around by a BS'er like Rex and and a faith salesman like McD and we can only hope that at some point it either works out by chance(like Ralph with Polian) or they get a clear vision of how to run an NFL team.  

16 hours ago, Meazy26 said:

I feel like I remember Jacksonville having like 70+ mil in cap like 3 or 4 years ago... mismanagement of epic proportions lol 

Well they were in good shape - paid a big contract to... Malik Jackson, Calais Campbell, AJ Bouye, Andrew Norwell, Tashaun Gipson - traded for Dareus during a playoff run too.  Extended Telvin Smith, Marqise Lee.  When the roster is this top heavy, injuries just tank the whole year.  Not to mention they extended Blake Bortles for some odd reason.

They hit on Ramsay for sure - and jack seems like a solid LB.  Cam Robinson was alright in 2017 before missing most of last year.  But Fournette, Bortles, and Fowler have not made the impact that they needed to when all 3 were picked in the top 5.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:35 AM, GreggTX said:

Marcell could be the best DL in the NFL if he wanted it bad enough. What a shame. He'll regret it some day that he didn't get it together when he had the chance.

Doubtful.  He's made tens of millions and if he cared he would have busted his ass all along. 

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He was def tops in the league in 2013 and among the top 3 in 2014.

Id still take him and his salary over Star and his any day of the week.

I wouldn't.  Been there, done that.  And the 2014 season was 4 seasons ago.  He checked-out after that one/when he got the big contract.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2019 at 7:17 PM, apuszczalowski said:

I'm still puzzled by the Bortles extension. They could have been in better shape letting him go and either getting a FA place holder or draft someone.

Or Just let him play out his 5th year option and then decide. If he has a fantastic season, you franchise him.

The Bortles extension was the worst signings in recent memory

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

I wouldn't.  Been there, done that.  And the 2014 season was 4 seasons ago.  He checked-out after that one/when he got the big contract.

The Bills had the second ranked defense in the league last year with Star, they were never that good with Dareus.   Star also made 5 million less than Dareus last year.

I doubt we ever have to worry about Star being suspended by the league because he was feeling sad and couldnt obey rules, drag racing, eating himself out of shape, or being investigated for assault.

When I see the Dareus apologists on this board I wonder if I am the only fan who lived through his madness.   He hasnt been anything more than an average DT since 2014. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 2/14/2019 at 4:35 AM, GreggTX said:

Marcell could be the best DL in the NFL if he wanted it bad enough. What a shame. He'll regret it some day that he didn't get it together when he had the chance.

Although he will have more than enough money to live on, there is even more to be made when you are an NFL Hall of Famer.

Yeah, I completely agree.  I retirement he will essentially be a JAG who made a lot of money.  That is tough on an athelet when you fade quickly from people's memory.

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Bills had the second ranked defense in the league last year with Star, they were never that good with Dareus.   Star also made 5 million less than Dareus last year.

I doubt we ever have to worry about Star being suspended by the league because he was feeling sad and couldnt obey rules, drag racing, eating himself out of shape, or being investigated for assault.

When I see the Dareus apologists on this board I wonder if I am the only fan who lived through his madness.   He hasnt been anything more than an average DT since 2014. 

Very well said, TNR.  

Additionally, Star knows his place and job and isn't going to pout over wanting more attention.

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Last years defense compared to 2014s isn't even close.

The defense that year was better in every aspect. 

This is complete hyperbole on your part.   2014 was better in some aspects, they recorded more sacks and had a few more interceptions.  However, last years team gave up less yardage a game, especially against the pass.  Against the rush the difference is pretty negligible, the 2014 team has 2018 by about 8 yards a game.

2014 was not better in every aspect.  Just the highlights.   They werent even a higher ranked defense, in 2014 they were ranked 4th.  In 2018 they were ranked 2nd.  Again, its close and by no means was 2018 far better than 2014, but I would take Star every day of the week over the Captain Hat. 

Edited by thenorthremembers

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Last years defense compared to 2014s isn't even close.

The defense that year was better in every aspect. 

And that was all attributable to Dareus? 

Then again, maybe it was.  But again, he was a different player back then.  That ship has sailed.

• Thank you (+1) 1