Is the Bills Culture Strong Enough to Sign a Polarizing Star?

dezertbill

35 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It may be a job, but many of these guys become friends too. Would you be cool if one of your friends was cheated on and the person who they cheated with is being added to your group of friends? 

And theres an even better chance that teammates are not going to be supportive of a teammate losing his job because the team brings in someone who slept with his wife.

If I knew that my friend was "cheated on" before he got married to the woman with whom he cheated while he was previously engaged to another woman....and then cheated on the wife with a 3rd woman this past summer...........let's just say my attitude would be "bro, come on!".    I mean, how many tears would you shed for a "friend" like that?  That's a serious question.

And look, the Bills wouldn't have to cut Poyer.   If he can handle AB being there to help them, you know, win games...all is cool.  If he can't handle it, he can ask to be traded.  He can go to some other city with tons of coeds he can screw in the off season.

36 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Culture is most overrated term in pro sports.  Winning makes culture.  The stupid Pats have the best culture in sports because they have Brady and they still couldn’t keep a teammate from murdering people. 

This 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It may be a job, but many of these guys become friends too. Would you be cool if one of your friends was cheated on and the person who they cheated with is being added to your group of friends? 

And theres an even better chance that teammates are not going to be supportive of a teammate losing his job because the team brings in someone who slept with his wife.

Consider me a weird dude, but I’d be more upset with my buddy actually marrying the woman who cheated on him. In some relationships I guess what’s good for the gander is good for the goose, so it works for both parties. Personally, I just don’t get involved in that type of trashy drama, even with friends. Locker rooms are full of all types of cheating, I’m not really sure how much it phases these dudes. 

I think the Bills have a pretty strong culture in place, but here is my question -

Do the Bills have anyone in their locker room that could keep AB in check (if need be)? 

Outside of Shady, the Bills don’t really have any proven, big time star players at the moment (though we obviously hope to have some in the making...). 

Is there anyone that AB would respect enough to listen to? Could anyone put him in his place if necessary? Is he the type that views himself as a big time star and therefore above the other, less talented players? I have no idea. 

If Beane and McDermott think the locker room is equipped to handle a “risky” player, then I will trust their judgement. That is one area they’ve earned my trust, for the most part. 

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

I think the Bills have a pretty strong culture in place, but here is my question -

Do the Bills have anyone in their locker room that could keep AB in check (if need be)? 

Outside of Shady, the Bills don’t really have any proven, big time star players at the moment (though we obviously hope to have some in the making...). 

Is there anyone that AB would respect enough to listen to? Could anyone put him in his place if necessary? Is he the type that views himself as a big time star and therefore above the other, less talented players? I have no idea. 

If Beane and McDermott think the locker room is equipped to handle a “risky” player, then I will trust their judgement. That is one area they’ve earned my trust, for the most part. 

Agreed, I’d be more concerned about AB’s attitude than hurting Poyer’s feelings. I don’t think AB is a risk I’d be willing to take. Josh Allen will be a second year QB, and growing pains are to be expected. AB needs to play with an established QB imo. I’m not confident that he wouldn’t become a locker room problem if the team goes through a rough patch. If Allen were to have any difficulties getting the ball to AB, the drama could immediately begin. A superstar diva receiver in a young QB’s ear constantly demanding the ball could also hinder the QB’s development. All of the great ones have an attitude/swagger, but AB is entering T.O/OBJ territory with his act. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WideNine said:

Too much is made of this and I think it is more the stigma of losing in general and losing our Super Bowls in particular.

I have been to Green Bay WI, it's no great shakes...especially in the Winter. 2 hours from Milwaukee, and about 5 hrs from Chicago, but you don't hear the players complaining.

If someone is looking for International culture its 2 hours on the QEW to Toronto, or I guess you can stay inside and make babies...tough call.

I agree, but it’s mentioned an awful lot by media and some players outside of the organization. For instance, Micah Hyde stated one of the main reasons he chose Buffalo due to the community and not being a fan of the big city life. 

But, a lot the stars of the league like the night life and think they’re missing out on something. 

Edited by Captain Murica

7 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I consider Mr. WEO and ScottLaw's take to be the dumbest takes I have ever seen on a message board.  

You want to talk about losing a locker room?  How do you think the players would feel knowing that the staff was willing to bring in a guy that slept with your teammates wife?  They would look at the staff and say to themselves that the staff really doesnt care about them as players. 

I got WEO blocked.  When all you do is repeat the same thing and resort to insults and imoji laughs when youre losing a debate you get blocked.  I dont mind a disagreement, I dont mind changing my mind but I have no use for anyone that doesnt offer anything of substance.  Their greatest point in an arguement is that your wrong because they are right Lol.  Its a strong arguement and very convincing huh.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude.

Poyer isn't half the player Bryant is. I'd gladly exchange Poyer for Bryant.

Your obsession is scaring me Teef. You want my address too?

If he isnt going to cause problems I agree, but dont under estimate Poyers value.  Chemistry is very important in team sports especially football.  He is part of one of the best safety tandems and secondaries in the NFL.  Dude should have made the ProBowl the last 2 years.  AB is an AllPro though.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

52 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think that browns unlikely. We’ve discussed green/Julio 1000 times (notes as wr not head cases)... what about OBJ as a young explosive guy at a position of need but drama filled?

I think that he’s more likely than AB. He has drama too but not directly related to the Bills. He isn’t toxic. Glazer seems to think OBJ is getting dealt this offseason. 

I would like if the Bills moved back and then dealt a 1st for him. Ideally they would trade 9 for 24 & 27 in that scenario. They can send the Giants 24 and one of their 4ths. I think something like that may get it done. Even if it’s 24 and our 3rd so be it. The Bills can always move back up into round 3 if they want. 

I would be cool going into Day 3 of the draft with:

OBJ

Risner 

Simmons

Pierschbacher 

FWIW, Arthur Moats said AB was a great teammate today on One Bills Live.

Said it didn't matter if you were a league minimum guy or making 100 million,  was one of the guys who treated everyone well. 

It was only a radio interview, but when asked about L' Bell, Moats seemed to think his situation divided the locker room wayyyyyy more than Brown's.   

edit: just my interpretation of his comments.  

Edited by stony

Man I would love Antonio Brown here. We would deal with his diva attitude in exchange for his top 5 WR skills for the next couple of seasons. But that can't happen because Jordan Poyer's Instagram model wife slept with him the day before their wedding. What a ridiculous world we live in...

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

If Poyer wants no part of being his teammate and Beane would rather have brown, trade Poyer and picks for brown.  LOTS of safeties available.  I LOVE Poyer, but AB is a franchise changer.

I had the same line of thought when I first considered the idea, but this would be like throwing a grenade into the locker room. Poyer is a leader on our defense. He's friends with White and Hyde. Trading him away and bringing in the guy that slept with their friend's wife would be the end of this regime. I'm done dreaming about Antonio Brown coming here. It has as much chance of happening as the Redskins signing Reuben Foster's girlfriend.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Man I would love Antonio Brown here. We would deal with his diva attitude in exchange for his top 5 WR skills for the next couple of seasons. But that can't happen because Jordan Poyer's Instagram model wife slept with him the day before their wedding. What a ridiculous world we live in...

If your wife sleeps with someone the day before your marriage, the other guy isn’t really the problem. Just adding a little perspective. 

I get it’s a real issue, and all the other crap, but.....

That’s not even considering the football/locker room/ ego stuff. Just the real life stuff. 

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I had the same line of thought when I first considered the idea, but this would be like throwing a grenade into the locker room. Poyer is a leader on our defense. He's friends with White and Hyde. Trading him away and bringing in the guy that slept with their friend's wife would be the end of this regime. I'm done dreaming about Antonio Brown coming here. It has as much chance of happening as the Redskins signing Reuben Foster's girlfriend.

I doubt we go after him due to his volatility, but that doesn’t mean we couldn’t succeed with with him

I'd say guys like Shady, Hughes, & Alexander could keep a polarizing talent in line but a primma donna is a different story & AB has shown that as being that player that if he doesn't get what he wants he's taking his ball & going home, I for one hope they don't bring him here if that is intact what he has shown us to be .

As long as a player is a team first guy then sure bring in that bigger than life guy because he won't be a distraction but leave the guy out that has the it's all about me attitude I think that was why Sammy was let go he had those statements about paying him what he was worth before he was let go but had little to show for it so they knew he could be trouble .

Which if AB was brought in here he would immediately be the consensus #1 WR so it could be a good fit i guess ??