Is the Bills Culture Strong Enough to Sign a Polarizing Star?

dezertbill

It's been McD's motto since he arrived.

Now entering his 3rd year, it seems all the players have bought into his "culture" philosophy.

McD has his trusted leaders that run the locker room, and they are very familiar with his message.  It's been engrained in their brains and the team has pretty much filtered out any player who doesn't subscribe to it.

Is McD's "culture" strong enough where....if we signed a player like Kareem Hunt or AB, that the locker room would be strong enough to handle the drama and outside noise to a point where it wouldn't affect the team?

• dezertbill changed the title to Is the Bills Culture Strong Enough to Sign a Polarizing Star?
7 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

It's been McD's motto since he arrived.

Now entering his 3rd year, it seems all the players have bought into his "culture" philosophy.

McD has his trusted leaders that run the locker room, and they are very familiar with his message.  It's been engrained in their brains and the team has pretty much filtered out any player who doesn't subscribe to it.

Is McD's "culture" strong enough where....if we signed a player like Kareem Hunt or AB, that the locker room would be strong enough to handle the drama and outside noise to a point where it wouldn't affect the team?

Kareem already signed with the Browns so he's off the table.

IMO, not yet.

I don't think anything about the culture will start to feel permanent until they start winning and can therefore be sure that McBeane will be around for awhile. I think they'll be here for quite a while, myself, but right now that's only a guess. They'll have to have an idea that that culture and those leaders are not going away in a couple of years, and that their approach brings success. Once they see that, the culture will start to seem permanent.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

The process does not include drama queens and trouble makers.

Agreed. We not only haven’t seen it yet, we’ve let a couple go.

We draft 4 year starters and team captains from college as a rule. There may come a time where one key acquisition puts us in SB conversation, but we’ll have enough process guys by then to keep it under control, imo.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it depends on the player and their respective value proposition. Antonio Brown and his act would be too distracting and diminish McDermott's stature if he pulled the late arrivals and skipped camp dorm for Air BnB. 

I would welcome the prospect of 5 years of Leveon Bell in his prime or the last few productive years of Desean Jackson. 

I think "not ever."  McD preaches his culture and "the team game" philosophy.  "Me first" guys are out the door. I don't see this FO bringing them back in. Judging by the drafts, FA signings and cuts, having 11 guys playing together is infinitely more important than having 1 guy playing for himself, no matter how good he is.  We want stars, not prima donnas and you can't be both here.  They want 52 Kyle Williams if they can get them.

McD and beane are trying to build what the Carolina panthers were when they went to the superbowl a few years back. None of those guys (that I can remember) were me first, diva type guys. I'd say newton was closest to it, but he never had off field issues.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

AB would never get picked up by us even if we had the money, etc.  He’s said so many negative things over social media about players, coaches, strategy.  If I remember he had taped some discussions in the locker room.  He’s not worth it.

The guy slept with one of our best player's wives. I cannot even fathom how AB to the Bills could possibly be on the table for anyone on this message board. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the real question posed by the OP is whether the Bills now have a "self-policing" culture -- because that's what is really required.  The Pats*** have it.  I used to think the Steelers did, but not any more.  It's a rare beast.  The Ravens, I think, have it.  Perhaps the Seahawks.

And my answer would be no, the Bills don't have this culture in place -- yet.  I think they have to experience winning and Allen has to become the true leader of the team.

• Like (+1) 2

Really good question OP.  I believe that as the roster is now, no they are not ready.  Take away Zo, House Money and we might be one of 5 youngest rosters in the league.  

Allen and Tremaine must emerge as the core leaders on team first.  Zo will be gone next year and Shady so will be a need for leaders.

AB will likley only fit in on team in the hunt, with a coach that knows him and with a veteran QB who can get him the ball.  Tampa with Arians and Winston may be the fit.

It depends on how the player is polarizing. This team could probably absorb a Richard Sherman type that talks a lot, but works his tail off and sets an example with his “work ethic”. I’d say “hard no” on keeping guys with massive off field problems (Everson Griffen or Hunt) out of trouble though.

IIRC McDermott said every team can handle a couple big egos. I think a few guys like that are needed as confidence can be infectious. However, I don’t think Josh Allen has enough clout and presence to deal with a Primadonna receiver yet. In a way it comes down to established vet presence.... I guess I’d say our defense is likely capable of taking on a massive personality, but our offense isn’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

McD and beane are trying to build what the Carolina panthers were when they went to the superbowl a few years back. None of those guys (that I can remember) were me first, diva type guys. I'd say newton was closest to it, but he never had off field issues.

Newton is amazingly stable

• Like (+1) 1

I dont think that's an issue on whether they are good/strong enough to sign someone polarizing.

It's not the type of player this coaching staff/front office want to have on their team. They do not believe that talent will out weigh the distraction/potential issues of polarizing players.

It's not that they can/cant handle it, they just dont want to have to handle it