What do you expect from Trent Murphy in 2019?

GreggTX

I expect him to be retained in 2019..

He oozes "The Process" with his attitude and work/training ethic, so I suspect he might be a McDermott favourite...

All I'm really hoping for on the field is that he has long periods of availability so we can see what he has....

I don't see cutting him to save a couple of million in 2019 happening .. 2020 might be a different story though if he is still regularly injured this season..

4 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

But he isn't healthy ...his  knee is shot.

I understand that last season he injured the other knee ( amongst other injuries) and not the knee he really effed up in 2016...

Maybe the dude was just unlucky..

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bills-trent-murphy-injury-marred-season/

Edited by Aussie Joe

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

He sucked early on but appeared to find a groove as the season warmed up. I am cautiously hopeful he will give us 8 sacks this year because of Hughes and the stud we are going to draft.?

I didn't see any noticeable improvement over the course of the season. What do you base that claim on?

5 hours ago, BillsSB2020 said:

That's the concern. I think the staff needs to do it's due diligence on the health of his knee and if it doesn't look good, perhaps cut bait. I've read that it was a team friendly contract. Lawson isn't the pass rusher that Murphy is, but he's available and he also made some strides last season. Maybe they keep both, but I could see them having to decide between these two young men.

I think having a rookie at DLE with Murphy and Shaq gone is a real possibility if we sign a guy like Gerald McCoy and a really good pass rusher falls to us at #9, but I really think we'll be going after a WR or LT in the 1st round.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

He oozes "The Process" with his attitude and work/training ethic, so I suspect he might be a McDermott favourite...

All I'm really hoping for on the field is that he has long periods of availability so we can see what he has....

I don't see cutting him to save a couple of million in 2019 happening .. 2020 might be a different story though if he is still regularly injured this season..

The best ability is Availability. He hasn’t been available for 2 years now. I’m not optimistic he’ll be available on the roster come Opening Day.

I expect he will make millions of dollars irregardless of if he is any good at what he does. If he wants to be really good it will be up to him. If not he will make more next year than most will make in a lifetime anyway.

Edited by Turk71

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just hope he stays healthy. Seems hampered by injury all year. Will they keep both him and Shaq (assuming Hughes stays too) plus draft a pass rusher high? 

Interesting point - barring injury concerns with Murphy, I could see us keeping both and drafting a pass rusher, and keeping all three. Again, don't know the specifics of his contact, but for Murph it looks like he'd cost 3.5 against this year, and half that the following year. He's guaranteed 2.5 plus a 500k signing bonus this year so in the grand scheme of things I'm not sure they would care to let him go, again barring injury. It'll be more interesting with Shaq and his 5th year option. Shaq is going to cost about the same (~3.5 mil against) for this year. Drafting a third and going through the next year wouldn't be out of the question given the cap cushion. 

While McD's scheme of rotating DL guys is more heavily focused on the interior, I can see cause for keeping both and adding a pass rusher this year to identify a solid group going forward. Shaq has shown willingness and ability to convert from a 5 to 3 tech which, in my mind, adds value to McD's scheme for the DL. 

It's all speculation, but if we're sitting pretty at 9 with no trade down offers, it may be the case an interior DL guy becomes our BPA, versus an edge rusher or WR/OL, and I couldn't see why they would pass up the opportunity to add someone here. But it depends firstly on FA, and secondly how Beane and scouts approach BPA for us this year in assessing player value.

16 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I didn't see any noticeable improvement over the course of the season. What do you base that claim on?

I think having a rookie at DLE with Murphy and Shaq gone is a real possibility if we sign a guy like Gerald McCoy and a really good pass rusher falls to us at #9, but I really think we'll be going after a WR or LT in the 1st round.

16 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Yes. If they go DE in RD 1, there's a chance BOTH are gone and a cheap replacement is found as depth. I believe they would keep one even if they went DE. I'm starting to believe the pick is going to be DK Metcalf, so that would certainly change the calculus.

26 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Yes. If they go DE in RD 1, there's a chance BOTH are gone and a cheap replacement is found as depth. I believe they would keep one even if they went DE. I'm starting to believe the pick is going to be DK Metcalf, so that would certainly change the calculus.

I think Shaq's money is guaranteed in 2019 and considering he played OK in 2018, I cant see that he will be cut this year irrespective of who they draft..

19 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Ugh, Process guys.  How about we get guys who have more than one good season, no serious injury, and a past PED suspension?  That’s an awful process.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think Shaq's money is guaranteed in 2019 and considering he played OK in 2018, I cant see that he will be cut this year irrespective of who they draft..

I always lose track of Shaq's contract. There is no reason he won't be on the roster based upon your statement. I suppose Murphy would be the odd man out if they were to go DE early. That's if they cut one, which will also depend on what they do in free agency. So many moving parts! I like Murphy as a player, but it's really tough to justify paying the guy when he's so frequently injured.

Edited by BillsSB2020

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ugh, Process guys.  How about we get guys who have more than one good season, no serious injury, and a past PED suspension?  That’s an awful process.

Any free agent they sign at that money is ticking their "process" box...

Just some offseason speculation on my part as to what I think they will do..

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Any free agent they sign at that money is ticking their "process" box...

Just some offseason speculation on my part as to what I think they will do..

And I get your point.  Personally, I think the process should not include guys who got suspended.  I’m a huge Stanford guy but Murphy has had one really good season in the nfl.  Then when you add the injury, PED suspension, and fact he looks 40, I don’t have high hopes for him.  I think that money could be spent better but hopefully, he lights it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

Nada. Was average when healthy and was barely healthy. 

I think he was maybe slightly above average when healthy and pass rushers are hard to come by. I don't think it was a terrific signing, but if they determine his knee is healthy, I think you could make a case for keeping him around. There's no way to predict injury, but they could at the very least get the docs to take a good look at that knee.

8 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I always lose track of Shaq's contract. There is no reason he won't be on the roster based upon your statement. I suppose Murphy would be the odd man out if they were to go DE early. That's if they cut one, which will also depend on what they do in free agency. So many moving parts! I like Murphy as a player, but it's really tough to justify paying the guy when he's so frequently injured.

Personally, I'm not all that concerned if they think they can replace Murphy via FA or the Draft for 2019...

I think though that will require them spending reasonable money on someone on FA, or spending a high Round pick ( possibly First round)... 

I don't think picking someone like Joe Jackson in the third or fourth means that they will move on from Murphy in 2019..  

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Personally, I'm not all that concerned if they think they can replace Murphy via FA or the Draft for 2019...

I think though that will require them sending reasonable money on someone on FA, or spending a high Round pick ( possibly First round)... 

I don't think picking someone like Joe Jackson in the third or fourth means that they will move on from Murphy in 2019..  

I like that fella from Old Dominion in perhaps the third round. Not sure that would be the kind of investment that would move Murphy from the roster entirely. I'm not a fan of cutting guys just because you're not terribly happy with the contract. It's already a done deal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I think he was maybe slightly above average when healthy and pass rushers are hard to come by. I don't think it was a terrific signing, but if they determine his knee is healthy, I think you could make a case for keeping him around. There's no way to predict injury, but they could at the very least get the docs to take a good look at that knee.

He had injured that knee twice within the last 4 years before...injuring it yet again.

From a health and dollar standpoint, this signing made no sense from the day it got announced. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

He had injured that knee twice within the last 4 years before...injuring it yet again.

From a health and dollar standpoint, this signing made no sense from the day it got announced. 

I totally agree that it was not a terrific signing. I'm just pontificating on the best course of action now that the deal is already done.