What do you expect from Trent Murphy in 2019?

GreggTX

8 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

A wild amount of hate for an average player.  Sure, he is over-payed, but that is how free agency works.  I haven't the slightest idea why people get so frugal when it comes to a team with soooo much cap space. 

If we upgrade, great.  But DE is by no stretch a NEED.  OL is a need.  WR is a need. DE is just a place for a possible upgrade.  Its hard to find better than average, and upgrading Trent will require assets that would be better used elsewhere. 

I'm not so sure DE isn't a need. Hughes and Alexander are getting up there, Murphy is solid when available, and Lawson isn't much of a pass rusher. They were not particularly good at getting sacks last season. I don't think you can ignore the entire defensive unit and edge players are the most important on the defensive side of the ball. It's somewhere between need and possible upgrade, but I personally believe it should be addressed this off season. I want to field a truly dominant defense and one additional pass rusher could put them right over the top.

A fella like Bud Dupree in free agency could help or perhaps the fella from Old Dominion in the 3rd if possible.

Edited by BillsSB2020

On 2/12/2019 at 3:44 PM, GreggTX said:

I was dissapointed that he didn't play better or hit doubl digit sacks, but historically, many guys ned more than 1 year to recover both physically and psychologically from such a serious injury. Besides, he wasn't that bad -- just average, really. He's still relatively young too.

Well the team has a deal it can easily get out of if they think he isnt worth keeping, so thats good.  But I think he will be here next year and play a bigger role too.  I dont know he gets to double digit sacks or not, but I think he can be a valuable player either way.  He didn't blow anyone away this year, but like you said, sometimes it takes a bit to recover mentally from big injuries, plus he got banged up some this year too.  He did however makes some nice plays here and there, so he has potential.  People wanted to dump Shaq last offseason and then he really proved his worth this year.  I think Trent could do that next year himself.  

39 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I'm not so sure DE isn't a need. Hughes and Alexander are getting up there, Murphy is solid when available, and Lawson isn't much of a pass rusher. They were not particularly good at getting sacks last season. I don't think you can ignore the entire defensive unit and edge players are the most important on the defensive side of the ball. It's somewhere between need and possible upgrade, but I personally believe it should be addressed this off season. I want to field a truly dominant defense and one additional pass rusher could put them right over the top.

A fella like Bud Dupree in free agency could help or perhaps the fella from Old Dominion in the 3rd if possible.

If you think the building of this team is finished this offseason you are going to be disappointed.

As to Hughes, Freeney and Mathis were both productive in their 30s and he doesnt have as much mileage

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

If you think the building of this team is finished this offseason you are going to be disappointed.

As to Hughes, Freeney and Mathis were both productive in their 30s and he doesnt have as much mileage

I expect a solid season in 2019 because I believe in what they've got going on. As far as our pass rush, it wasn't quite good enough last season and adding a pass rusher could push them over the top defensively. No reason not to add to a strength with so many resources.

Even if Hughes remains steady, I have some concerns about Murph's availability.

37 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I expect a solid season in 2019 because I believe in what they've got going on. As far as our pass rush, it wasn't quite good enough last season and adding a pass rusher could push them over the top defensively. No reason not to add to a strength with so many resources.

Even if Hughes remains steady, I have some concerns about Murph's availability.

We put plenty of pressure on the QB.  Murphy, Alexander and Shaq are sufficient.  What would put us over the top is a penatraiting DT at the 3tech.

24 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

We put plenty of pressure on the QB.  Murphy, Alexander and Shaq are sufficient.  What would put us over the top is a penatraiting DT at the 3tech.

Sufficient isn't what I'm looking for when it comes to rushing the passer. It's paramount for a dominant defensive squad and shutting down the real competition which always fields a top flight QB. I'd like a dominant pass rush. I have no problem adding a 3T AND an edge rusher. We can allocate all other resources to offense. Just get the pass rush humming. I believe they were near the bottom of the pack in the sack category.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I was looking at Spotrac and it appears he is due for a Roster bonus and part salary guarantee ($3Mil) on 17th March...

If he survives til then he will be there all season,,,

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/trent-murphy-14456/

Good point.  Thanks for the info.  

Given he was coming off injury, it might be reasonable to rework his contract.  If he doesn't accept a pay cut then cut him.  

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Not the defense McD plays.  I agree a DT that pushes the pocket back would be great. But I would add a pass rushing OLB as the first priority in the draft.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:44 PM, GreggTX said:

I was dissapointed that he didn't play better or hit doubl digit sacks, but historically, many guys ned more than 1 year to recover both physically and psychologically from such a serious injury. Besides, he wasn't that bad -- just average, really. He's still relatively young too.

I think his best game was Minnesota. I rewatched that game last night and was surprised how much of an impact T Murphy made. If we can get him playing like that every game we’ll be solid 

7 hours ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Sufficient isn't what I'm looking for when it comes to rushing the passer. It's paramount for a dominant defensive squad and shutting down the real competition which always fields a top flight QB. I'd like a dominant pass rush. I have no problem adding a 3T AND an edge rusher. We can allocate all other resources to offense. Just get the pass rush humming. I believe they were near the bottom of the pack in the sack category.

Yup at the bottom of the pack in sacks and I believe near the top in Ints.  Do you think you end up with the top pass D with no passrush.  Sacks are overrated.  When we had the best PassRush in the league how deep did we go into the postseason  in 2014.  Unless you got Mack or Hughes in front of you go DT or OL.  BPA in the Draft and that will likely be a DT or OL.

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Good point.  Thanks for the info.  

Given he was coming off injury, it might be reasonable to rework his contract.  If he doesn't accept a pay cut then cut him.  

Not the defense McD plays.  I agree a DT that pushes the pocket back would be great. But I would add a pass rushing OLB as the first priority in the draft.

Didnt Kawaan Short play 3T in McDs defense.  We do need a replacement for Zo after this season.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Kyle Williams was our penetrating DT and now he has retired.  We need another penetrating DT.  Who else do we have: Star, maybe Jordan Phillips and Harry.  There's not a reliable penetrating DT there.  A penetrating DT like they had with the Panthers in Kawonn Short who had 11 sacks in 2015 is definitely a higher need.  We already have a pass rushing OLB in Zo who will need to be replaced but we have him signed for this upcoming season, so that position isn't the bigger need.  We also have Shaq, Murphy and Hughes on the edge which covers that area enough where it isn't the biggest need.  All of those players will benefit from the QB being flushed out by a penetrating DT.  

Let's not undervalue what Kyle Williams brought to this defense with his penetration skills, which need to be replaced.  Both positions are needs but Williams is gone and Alexander is still here.

On 2/13/2019 at 8:46 PM, Cripple Creek said:

1 pass defensed

2 forced fumbles

1 fumble recovery

4 sacks

14 solo tackles

10 assisted tackles

5 tackles for loss

13 games played

$8.5M cap hit in 2019

Yeah that's horrible

On 2/14/2019 at 11:17 AM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

A wild amount of hate for an average player.  Sure, he is over-payed, but that is how free agency works.  I haven't the slightest idea why people get so frugal when it comes to a team with soooo much cap space. 

If we upgrade, great.  But DE is by no stretch a NEED.  OL is a need.  WR is a need. DE is just a place for a possible upgrade.  Its hard to find better than average, and upgrading Trent will require assets that would be better used elsewhere. 

All of you just did this 2 days ago with Charles Clay. Trent's contract is on the upper end for rotational 2/3 DE. It's actually IMO the worst contract on the team. At least Shady was super productive before this clunker of a season. He's due for nearly 9M (13th highest in the league!) this upcoming season to do what, get 4 sacks and miss 3-4 games...

If you don't think our pass rush needs an upgrade, idk what to tell you. That was probably the weakest part of the defense. Pass rush only played well a few times last year. 

Edited by Elite Poster

50 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Yeah that's horrible

All of you just did this 2 days ago with Charles Clay. Trent's contract is on the upper end for rotational 2/3 DE. It's actually IMO the worst contract on the team. At least Shady was super productive before this clunker of a season. He's due for nearly 9M (13th highest in the league!) this upcoming season to do what, get 4 sacks and miss 3-4 games...

If you don't think our pass rush needs an upgrade, idk what to tell you. That was probably the weakest part of the defense. Pass rush only played well a few times last year. 

Is Trent's contract stopping us from signing someone else? Aside from the principle of the thing, is there a reason we need to be concerned about how much he is getting paid? Can you at least accept that free agency is what it is and guys ARE going to get overpaid?  

Could we use an upgrade? Sure! However, we were still the #2 defense in the league. DE was clearly not the reason we weren't winning games.  Instead, we weren't winning games because WR and OL were inadequate.  Those positions are the needs.  DE is like the second tier of needs. 

On 2/12/2019 at 7:48 PM, IgotBILLStopay said:

He sucked early on but appeared to find a groove as the season warmed up. I am cautiously hopeful he will give us 8 sacks this year because of Hughes and the stud we are going to draft.?

He put up almost all of his stats in the first 6 weeks, so I'm not sure how he got better when he was either injured or not making plays.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:42 AM, ScottLaw said:

Good post. 

Their signings last offseason were all bad to mediocre signings. 

I kinda agree. I feel they overpaid Star and wasn't thrilled about Murphy, but then I remember that our D was pretty good. Add a couple very disruptive players at DT and LDE and this D could really be special.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/14/2019 at 6:30 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

And I get your point.  Personally, I think the process should not include guys who got suspended.  I’m a huge Stanford guy but Murphy has had one really good season in the nfl.  Then when you add the injury, PED suspension, and fact he looks 40, I don’t have high hopes for him.  I think that money could be spent better but hopefully, he lights it up. 

I think Beane knew Murphy was a gamble and is hoping he will return to where he left off. Otherwise, he'll end up like Merriman. I was really pulling for him too.

Here's hoping he recovers from 2017 knee surgery and his 2018 dings.  Would like to see a pass rush package with Jerry and Him at DE and Shaq and Zo inside at DT.  Murphy could slide inside on pass downs too I guess.

OBD will draft or sign an Edge player to hedge bets on Jerry or Shaq leaving after 2019.  Gives them a year to learn the D.