What do you expect from Trent Murphy in 2019?

GreggTX

1 minute ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I like that fella from Old Dominion in perhaps the third round. Not sure that would be the kind of investment that would move Murphy from the roster entirely. I'm not a fan of cutting guys just because you're not terribly happy with the contract. It's already a done deal.

I cant say I know much about that guy from OD ( I looked it up - Ximines)... I have seen him going in the 2nd in a couple of mocks though... I might have to do some research...

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/12/2019 at 6:44 PM, GreggTX said:

I was dissapointed that he didn't play better or hit doubl digit sacks, but historically, many guys ned more than 1 year to recover both physically and psychologically from such a serious injury. Besides, he wasn't that bad -- just average, really. He's still relatively young too.

1 pass defensed

2 forced fumbles

1 fumble recovery

4 sacks

14 solo tackles

10 assisted tackles

5 tackles for loss

13 games played

$8.5M cap hit in 2019

Lots of griping about Trent Murphy in this thread.

While I agree that his health struggles were disappointing, I felt he DID make an impact when he was on the field.

He and Shaq Lawson had exactly the same amount of defensive snaps at 440.

What I want to know from the people that don't like Trent Murphy, and Star Lotulelei, for that matter: Do they not get any credit for the Bills' #2 ranked defense? They were both on the field for between 40-50% of the defensive snaps on the  season. I find it hard to reconcile our defense's success against the "failures" of these two key acquisitions.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I expect him to be a training camp cut.  I expect them to draft an OLB in the first round. I expect Shaq and Lorax to split time at DE.  

I was looking at Spotrac and it appears he is due for a Roster bonus and part salary guarantee ($3Mil) on 17th March...

If he survives til then he will be there all season,,,

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/trent-murphy-14456/

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

We need inside pressure way more than we need outside pressure especially with Kyles retirement. Focus on getting pressure up the middle so the outside guys don’t have to do everything. 

Trent looked good in pass rush which is what he was brought in to do. He just missed out on a few sacks this season which would have made his numbers look better and help soothe the minds of those that stare at stat columns. Priority for him is obviously to be healthy. 

Pressure from the DT positions is the top priority. Without that, the outside players will have a tough year. 

I thought he played really well when he was in there. IN terms of the injury stuff, first year back from a torn ACL and a PED situation, sometimes a guy has to workout the kinks. I'm optimistic that he will be better and the fact that McDermott rotates guys makes me feel good about that. All that said, his contract does not keep them from possible cutting him this offseason if they see fit. If they would prefer to allocate that money to someone like Trey Flowers, they can easily move on. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Ideally another guy opposite Hughes and someone inside. 

Pass rush was extremely inconsistent last season. 

Shaq Lawson is emerging and I think they will give Trent Murphy another season which means those two will occupy that side with Alexander thrown into a few situations.  I see them maybe adding a DE later in the draft especially if the top 3 pass rushers go off of the board on the edge.  The DT position could be the position that falls into our laps at 9 just based on how many there are at the top of this class.  That's the position I see us addressing if we stay at 9. I think Buffalo will address a lot of our offensive holes in FA so we can go into the draft taking the top talent.  That being said they are definitely hoping to find someone to trade down with and take something to help Allen.  

I don't see them acquiring a starting level DE.  A rookie in the middle rounds to learn from Hughes would be the ideal way to go for this offseason IMO.  The DE market is going to be set so high this offseason with so many guys available, plus we'd have to overpay to get someone on top of that...draft a rookie.  We need to get younger there too.  

A penetrating DT is clearly the bigger need with Williams retiring and Buffalo not creating enough havoc up the middle last season.  There's a lot of depth in this class to draft one if they can find a trade partner to move down from 9 but if they can't, we will likely select a DT at 9.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

He made a couple of really good plays due to his motor he never seems to give up so given the fact as the OP said that it takes a yr to get back after the injury he had to being 100% healthy & not worry about reinjuring your self i think this yr he could become really good player for the team & if nothing else push Lawson once again to be better like he did this past season ...

Edited by T master

A wild amount of hate for an average player.  Sure, he is over-payed, but that is how free agency works.  I haven't the slightest idea why people get so frugal when it comes to a team with soooo much cap space. 

If we upgrade, great.  But DE is by no stretch a NEED.  OL is a need.  WR is a need. DE is just a place for a possible upgrade.  Its hard to find better than average, and upgrading Trent will require assets that would be better used elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

I expect him to put decent pressure on the QB when he plays, similar to this year.  If he plays the whole year (or is even on the team) I expect 7-12 sacks.  He didn’t look terrible when he played. Problem being, he didn’t play very much. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I expect him to put decent pressure on the QB when he plays, similar to this year.  If he plays the whole year (or is even on the team) I expect 7-12 sacks.  He didn’t look terrible when he played. Problem being, he didn’t play very much. 

I agree with this.....thought he looked good (not dominating) when he played.....but he was out of the lineup way too much.