What do you expect from Trent Murphy in 2019?

GreggTX

45 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its really going to depend on whether he can stay healthy or not.

So,you expect him to play day in and day out next summer at SJF, how else can you pass judgement if he doesn't ?

He's damaged goods and has no push from his lower body...up top he's strong and has a wide wing but that does n'tcut in the NFL since these OT's are getting taller,bigger and stronger..with tree trunks for legs.

Trim the fat....

Edited by Misterbluesky

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

But he isn't healthy ...his  knee is shot.

That's the concern. I think the staff needs to do it's due diligence on the health of his knee and if it doesn't look good, perhaps cut bait. I've read that it was a team friendly contract. Lawson isn't the pass rusher that Murphy is, but he's available and he also made some strides last season. Maybe they keep both, but I could see them having to decide between these two young men.

Edited by BillsSB2020
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

That's the concern. I think the staff needs to do it's due diligence on the health of his knee and if it doesn't look good, perhaps cut bait. I've read that it was a team friendly contract. Lawson isn't the pass rusher that Murphy is, but he's available and he also made some strides last season. Maybe they keep both, but I could see them having to decide between these two young men.

Murphy is 8.5 this year..3.5 is dead cap.I agree 100% about Lawson,he had a great preseason last year and had a solid season with the real bullets flying..but I still want more out of him because of where Whaley selected him.

Who knows about Murphy...odds are arthritis has hit his knee by now.

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Murphy is 8.5 this year..3.5 is dead cap.I agree 100% about Lawson,he had a great preseason last year and had a solid season with the real bullets flying..but I still want more out of him because of where Whaley selected him.

Who knows about Murphy...odds are arthritis has hit his knee by now.

Yes. That's why I stated "when healthy." If I had to choose, I would take Lawson. Now depending on the draft, it's entirely possible they keep both. If they take a pass rusher early in the draft, I think one will go and that's where Murphy's health is a major player. I suppose he could bounce back. I've seen a guy coming off injury struggle to stay healthy the following year and then get back to full strength. The fact that he's been oft injured is a major concern though. I do believe he's a solid pass rusher which are hard to come by, which is why I would hesitate to up and cut him.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Man, everyone loved the Murphy signing before the season. Now everyone acts like they hated theove and Beane should be fired for it.

I think he can be an effective pass rusher when healthy. Let's hope he can get healthy and prove everyone right (sentiment from when we first signed him) and everyone wrong (current sentiment).

I don't remember loving it, but if you say everyone loved the signing, I guess I did.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Man, everyone loved the Murphy signing before the season. Now everyone acts like they hated theove and Beane should be fired for it.

I think he can be an effective pass rusher when healthy. Let's hope he can get healthy and prove everyone right (sentiment from when we first signed him) and everyone wrong (current sentiment).

Not everyone, I never liked it. I didnt like the Ivory signing or Star signing either. All these bloated contracts for what amount to average players boggles the mind while you simultaneously try to undo those same types of contracts. Although Ivory's isn't that bloated, but you can definitely get what he brings for much cheaper.

Perhaps some people were just hopeful given what Murphy did the year before in Washington & how he'd be lined up opposite Hughes. Perhaps others were just happy we signed someone. Gotta also remember that just about everyone before the season here was thinking playoffs last year as well. While not considering all the dead cap we ate & how unrealistic doing both would be. Such is the life of a Bills fan, glass is always half full when you Billieve until you smash it at the wall later.

However I will trust the process thru this next season. I still think we're in a better position now than we have been in a long time. And i hope Trent has a great season for sure