Taron Johnson says he won’t get “soft” or “complacent” in 2nd year

YoloinOhio

Taron Johnson had a successful rookie season for the Buffalo Bills. The slot cornerback doesn’t expect that to change his mentality, though

Known as a tough, physical cornerback, Johnson proved a lot to his teammates early in his NFL career. In the preseason, many forget he took a cheap shot against Browns wide receiver Jarvis Landry.

“Listening to coach McDermott … something that stuck out to me, is just when you think you got it, you don’t got it. So that’s just what I’m taking with me. I understand I had a solid rookie (season), but I just know I have to keep with the growth mindset,” Johnson said.

“Everyone has shown flashes of what can come in the future if we continue to build and not get complacent,” Johnson added. “There’s a lot of work I have to do, especially, getting healthy, just learning the most I can about the defense. Just the fact that we all are so young – I definitely see the future very bright here in Buffalo.”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Great attitude. Great pick!

If you don't have that attitude, you don't stick with the Bills.  That's at the core of what McBeane are building. 

I heard JJ Redick talking about his career in the NBA.   When he was in high school, even in college, he never thought about playing in the NBA.   He didn't think it was possible.  Then in his junior year someone told him he might get drafted.   

He was kind of surprised he didn't get cut as a rookie.   Some time late in his rookie season he asked a veteran what he should do in the off-season.  The answer was work hard and learn how to do something in the game that you can't do now.   He was told that unless he gets better every year, he will be out of the league.   

That's the reality of competition for roster spots in professional sports.   If that isn't your attitude, you're going to be gone.  McBeane want a roster full of that attitude.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Anyone who cheap shots Jarvis Landry in one of his first games as a rookie is ok in my book 

Serious question:   Would you want Landry on the Bills?

He's a terrific receiver.   And his nastiest plays are usually legal.   Still, I think I would pass.   There's something about him that says he's just a bad guy.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He's a terrific receiver.   And his nastiest plays are usually legal.   Still, I think I would pass.   There's something about him that says he's just a bad guy.

No, not at his pay. He's getting paid as a number one when clearly he isn't. He's talented as they come in the slot, but hes not in the class of Brown, OBJ, Hopkins, Green, and Michael Thomas. 

I'd rather have Bobby Woods. He's a better blocker and doesn't need to make dirty hits on DBs. 

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don’t know. He makes some nice plays but he’s a lightning rod and he wasn’t as productive in Cleveland as he was in Miami