Antonio Brown officially requests trade; expected to be moved by 3/8

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Bills2ref said:

I would start considering it for a 3rd. Probably do it for a 4th. Problem is, what kind of motivation is he going to have? If you bring him in he will want a new contract with new guaranteed money. Without it, he could very possibly hold out. 

We have the cap space....what else are we going to spend the money on? I would trade for him and then give him the extension.

6 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

We have the cap space....what else are we going to spend the money on? I would trade for him and then give him the extension.

What happens when he isnt the highest paid receiver in the NFL in one-two years and demands a new contract. He might even hold out or trash your entire team in the media in the process. 

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Antonio Brown, Levon Bell, and Ben Roethlisburger in their prime couldn’t win the games that matter most.

i agree that he’d help them win a couple games, but it’s worth it to me for the lasting effect it’d have on Darnold and the whole Jets team.

The Steelers were still a perennial playoff team, primarily because of those guys. They were a train wreck last year, for sure, but don't forget all the years of winning, even if they never got to the Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

What happens when he isnt the highest paid receiver in the NFL in one-two years and demands a new contract. He might even hold out or trash your entire team in the media in the process. 

You deal with it then. Two years of Antonio Brown at the top of his game is better than anything else we will come up with either in free agency or the draft. I get what McDermott is trying to do in building a certain locker room culture, but realistically personalities do not win football games.

38 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

We could invest in the oline. Need quite a few fellas and there are some decent options in free agency.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

We could invest in the oline. Need quite a few fellas and there are some decent options in free agency.

Agreed. As fun and splashy as this would be, it’s a Rex Ryan/Russ Brandon type move. It would sell tickets and the fans excited but really not fix anything. If you don’t build the line it won’t matter what WRs are running around when Allen is on his back. The Steelers have had a great OL and it is meaningful to the success of their offense. While Allen has shown that he can extend plays with his legs when protection breaks down, it’s still ultra important to provide him time and (I wish I could highlight this a hundred times) establish a running game to help him out. OL must be upgraded this offseason as top priority.

Didn’t fact check this but heard on radio that AB has never caught a TD from any other QB than Ben btw. Not to say he never will but it gives me pause. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Steelers were still a perennial playoff team, primarily because of those guys. They were a train wreck last year, for sure, but don't forget all the years of winning, even if they never got to the Superbowl.

For sure. I remember that throughout those years of winning were stupid losses where they couldn't get over the hump. I guess I just mean that with Brown on that team, the issues seem likely to outweigh the positives. 

Also, the point that I was making is that when you have that much talent and you cant finish games and win games that matter the most, that tells me something about the mental toughness of the team. 

Edited by whatdrought

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

Raiders, IMO - 3 first round picks and a ton of cap room.  Guess we about to find out... :beer:

Yep that’s my prediction too. They’ve been in it from the beginning and prob the only team with the picks to feel ok about giving a 1st

• Like (+1) 1

I don't doubt that the Raiders are the front runners, but damn if that team isn't poorly managed...

Trade Khalil Mack and replace him with Josh Allen/Rashan Gary/Montez Sweat/etc.

Trade Amari Cooper because you didn't know how to get anything out of him and replace him for an older WR with attitude issues. 

Idiots.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jkirchofer said:

You deal with it then. Two years of Antonio Brown at the top of his game is better than anything else we will come up with either in free agency or the draft. I get what McDermott is trying to do in building a certain locker room culture, but realistically personalities do not win football games.

Is he at the top of his game though? He'll be 31 at the start of the season. Lot's of mileage. I don't think he is worth the risk of throwing Allen under the bus and causing problems. He needs to either go to a team with a stopgap QB like Denver with Flacco or an elite and established QB like Rodgers, Wilson or Brees.