Superstars Leaving A Team Question

corta765

11 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Not all in the same year, but the ongoing purge/exodus of core players by Seattle has been somewhat noteworthy:

2016:  RB Marshawn Lynch ("retired"), LT Russell Okung (FA), LB Bruce Irvin (FA)

2017:  K Steven Hauschka (I had to throw him in here)

2018: DE Cliff Avril (retired), DE Michael Bennett (traded on the cheap), CB Richard Sherman (FA), SS Kam Chancellor (retired)

2019: FS Earl Thomas (can't get out of Seattle fast enough)

And they keep on making the playoffs.  So much for rebuilding.

This has got nothing to do with rebuilding. Rebuilding isn't a tactic for every year. It's for when you absolutely suck or for when you've been mediocre for a long time. Of course they haven't rebuilt.

But the Seattle renaissance absolutely started with a rebuild.

18 hours ago, corta765 said:

With Antonio Brown on his way out of Pittsburgh can anyone remember such a short time frame when two mammoth stars (Brown & Le'Veon Bell) left a team and when a team had dysfunction to the point two of their best players who are two of the best in their position left a roster? I literally cannot recall such a shakeup in such a short period of time during my years of watching the NFL. The closest I can think of in regards to players just saying their done was when Jim Harbaugh left San Fran and like half their roster retired on spot.

Would Incognito - Martin count?

Did anyone else get angry at the same time Barry Sanders retired? Or Megatron? I can't remember it. Did anyone leave the Steelers when Kevin Greene or Joey Porter got out? I don't remember it?

Probably not many simply because the teams hold the whip hand, not the players. Leaving is a long, tough struggle, except if you retire, especially back before free agency, but even now unless your contract is up, and even then there are the tags.

And honestly, I'm not convinced there's a ton of dysfunction there at Three Rivers. The Bell thing is mostly about money. That's not dysfunction. And I'm not clear what Brown's problem is but I think it's quite possible it's a problem with Brown himself. Is that dysfunction? Honestly, I don't know. Two very serious problems at the same time, that's for sure, but is it team dysfunction?

Edited by Thurman#1

15 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

This has been Pittsburgh’s way for a long time now. 

They drop receivers like crazy and everyone thinks they’re nuts when they do it. 

They churn out receivers like nobody else in the league. 

Plaxico, sanders, santonio, bettis, and the list goes on. 

They have great scouts, some of these players become “bigger than the team” and they’re out. 

Rather it’s trades or not renewing contracts they have a proven track record of letting guys go and recovering just fine. 

They will be just fine without bell and brown. 

Conners looked good, JuJu looks good and they have a young receiver Washington who looks good. It’s not Pittsburgh per se but these players. They don’t deal with this diva stuff. Big Ben is what he is and you can argue he’s a diva like the rest but you have to keep the franchise. Brown is not the franchise. 

Antonio Brown is not just another WR. The guy already holds a bunch of NFL records including most consecutive seasons with 100 yard catches and he will go down as HOF. That is a bit different then Santonio or Plaxico.

Also JuJu benefited greatly from Brown being double teamed weekly, there is a laundry list of WR's who had great numbers right up until they faced the real pressure like AB has. Washington was the same guy Big Ben just berated this season for dropping catches. 

My overall point is that the Steelers are letting two of their best players who are cornerstone type players for any team go in a super small amount of time. The majority of NFL teams work so they keep that group together for as long as possible. The Bell portion makes sense because it is money, but AB is a whole different animal. For as much credit as people always seem willing to give PIT they missed the playoffs this last season with drama that makes them look like the NFL Kardashians and they are getting worse at both skill positions on offense with a QB who is only getting older. That doesn't sound like a very good situation.

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Antonio Brown is not just another WR. The guy already holds a bunch of NFL records including most consecutive seasons with 100 yard catches and he will go down as HOF. That is a bit different then Santonio or Plaxico.

Also JuJu benefited greatly from Brown being double teamed weekly, there is a laundry list of WR's who had great numbers right up until they faced the real pressure like AB has. Washington was the same guy Big Ben just berated this season for dropping catches. 

My overall point is that the Steelers are letting two of their best players who are cornerstone type players for any team go in a super small amount of time. The majority of NFL teams work so they keep that group together for as long as possible. The Bell portion makes sense because it is money, but AB is a whole different animal. For as much credit as people always seem willing to give PIT they missed the playoffs this last season with drama that makes them look like the NFL Kardashians and they are getting worse at both skill positions on offense with a QB who is only getting older. That doesn't sound like a very good situation.

I think you may be overhyping AB a little bit. But we’ll find out this year if/when he’s traded. 

His numbers and key plays have been amazing and maybe he is HOF bound one day. My point is just that Pittsburgh throws the ball 50+ times a game and Ben isn’t afraid to toss the ball to him in bad spots and let AB make the play. That’s probably not going to happen on a very large portion of teams. Let’s say he goes to SF.. I would have my doubts jimmy G is targeting him 20+ times a game, or that he’ll put up anywhere near as good of numbers. It’s much easier to be amazing when you have a HOF quarterback and a team that throws constantly. 

Matter of fact one could argue a huge problem for Pittsburgh during AB’s time there is the fact they throw so much and don’t utilize the run game enough. 

21 hours ago, corta765 said:

With Antonio Brown on his way out of Pittsburgh can anyone remember such a short time frame when two mammoth stars (Brown & Le'Veon Bell) left a team and when a team had dysfunction to the point two of their best players who are two of the best in their position left a roster? I literally cannot recall such a shakeup in such a short period of time during my years of watching the NFL. The closest I can think of in regards to players just saying their done was when Jim Harbaugh left San Fran and like half their roster retired on spot.

Raiders with Mack and Cooper and maybe Carr soon.

Gruden and Raiders clearly have some hard to discern dissfunction but nothing compared to Steelers.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cba fan said:

Raiders with Mack and Cooper and maybe Carr soon.

Gruden and Raiders clearly have some hard to discern dissfunction but nothing compared to Steelers.

the surprise is anyone isn't running for his life away from the Raiders if they have a choice to

On 2/12/2019 at 1:22 PM, corta765 said:

San Fran is a great example.  

It’s not just the mega stars going, but still in their prime as well. 

However Pitsburgh didn’t seem to miss Bell and have the best WR scouting dept in the NFL, imo  

On 2/12/2019 at 12:22 PM, corta765 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-49ers-offseason-2015-6.     That has the big players that retired or left in the off-season 

Well Chip Kelly dismantled a pretty good roster in Philly & he wasn't around very long if that qualifies ?

But this i think is more of a money grab thing for Leveon, he saw what Cousins did by playing the game with the Skins & decided to try it & see how it would work for him but by turning down $14 million to play one season asks the question how greedy can you be ? He is looking for unprecedented money for his position & the Steelers proved by having there back up step that he can be replaced !

AB I'm not real sure how to think of his situation he's a great player & has been a corp player for the Steelers but Ju Ju also showed that you can be replaced so i think the Steelers will be okay as they usually are because of the way they draft & the stability at the HC position.

If Tomlin was Chip that could be a different story but i think they will be fine once all this other stuff goes away !! 

29 minutes ago, iinii said:

They were no longer in their prime. 

Fair point. Only other one I can think of then is the Raiders this year, but that was an intentional breakdown to rebuild. Didn't the Marlins do something like that when they won the World Series, and traded away like half the team?

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe