Superstars Leaving A Team Question

corta765

With Antonio Brown on his way out of Pittsburgh can anyone remember such a short time frame when two mammoth stars (Brown & Le'Veon Bell) left a team and when a team had dysfunction to the point two of their best players who are two of the best in their position left a roster? I literally cannot recall such a shakeup in such a short period of time during my years of watching the NFL. The closest I can think of in regards to players just saying their done was when Jim Harbaugh left San Fran and like half their roster retired on spot.

• Like (+1) 1

The World Football League signed up NFL players with one year remaining on their contract, though many didn’t jump over.

Miami SB champs had Warfield, Csonka and Kiick sign up and then jump to the WFL after the next season

that was roughly 100 times worse than the Steelers thing 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

Not sure, but I definitely think what went down in SF was way more shocking.

Honestly, the exodus of players under McD seems like more of a red flag.  We've had a lot of players retire under mysterious circumstances.

Boldin and Davis, right? Was there anyone else?

44 minutes ago, corta765 said:

With Antonio Brown on his way out of Pittsburgh can anyone remember such a short time frame when two mammoth stars (Brown & Le'Veon Bell) left a team and when a team had dysfunction to the point two of their best players who are two of the best in their position left a roster? I literally cannot recall such a shakeup in such a short period of time during my years of watching the NFL. The closest I can think of in regards to players just saying their done was when Jim Harbaugh left San Fran and like half their roster retired on spot.

Danny Briere and Chris Drury

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

Ehh. He's a legitimate nut case. I wouldn't put him in the same category as Davis and Boldin who just upped and quit.

Yeah, I'm not worried about our locker room or anything.  I just think to an outside observer who doesn't follow the bills that along with all the trades raises some eyebrows.

12 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

Yeah, I'm not worried about our locker room or anything.  I just think to an outside observer who doesn't follow the bills that along with all the trades raises some eyebrows.

Both Boldin and Davis were past their best before date........old and slow.

They were not here long enough to matter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steve Billieve said:

Not sure, but I definitely think what went down in SF was way more shocking.

Honestly, the exodus of players under McD seems like more of a red flag.  We've had a lot of players retire under mysterious circumstances.

Call me Sherlock Holmes. Mystery solved. 

Incognito has serious mental issues. Proven by the fact that police had to be called to a funeral parlor when he was trying to force the undertaker to cut off his fathers head.

Boldin and Davis was at the very end of his career and knew their bodies couldn't handle another full season but struggled to believe it.

I can't think of anyone else but let me know if I missed anyone

Just now, ProcessAccepted said:

Call me Sherlock Holmes. Mystery solved. 

Incognito has serious mental issues. Proven by the fact that police had to be called to a funeral parlor when he was trying to force the undertaker to cut off his fathers head.

Boldin and Davis was at the very end of his career and knew their bodies couldn't handle another full season but struggled to believe it.

I can't think of anyone else but let me know if I missed anyone

I don't care how old/bad you are, retiring at half time is mysterious.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Steve Billieve said:

You said we had a lot of players retire under mysterious circumstances. Only Davis retired at half time. 

Honestly I think you're drawing a false equivalency between what's happening in Pittsburgh and the Bills under McD.

The only Bills related quitting I can think of was Marrone walking away which obviously has nothing to do with McD.

Just now, ProcessAccepted said:

You said we had a lot of players retire under mysterious circumstances. Only Davis retired at half time. 

Honestly I think you're drawing a false equivalency between what's happening in Pittsburgh and the Bills under McD.

The only Bills related quitting I can think of was Marrone walking away which obviously has nothing to do with McD.

No, I'm suggesting that there's nothing unusual happening in Pittsburgh or Buffalo.  Players are just individuals making decisions and two people leaving isn't even a pattern.

This has been Pittsburgh’s way for a long time now. 

They drop receivers like crazy and everyone thinks they’re nuts when they do it. 

They churn out receivers like nobody else in the league. 

Plaxico, sanders, santonio, bettis, and the list goes on. 

They have great scouts, some of these players become “bigger than the team” and they’re out. 

Rather it’s trades or not renewing contracts they have a proven track record of letting guys go and recovering just fine. 

They will be just fine without bell and brown. 

Conners looked good, JuJu looks good and they have a young receiver Washington who looks good. It’s not Pittsburgh per se but these players. They don’t deal with this diva stuff. Big Ben is what he is and you can argue he’s a diva like the rest but you have to keep the franchise. Brown is not the franchise. 

• Like (+1) 2

No, I'm suggesting that there's nothing unusual happening in Pittsburgh or Buffalo.  Players are just individuals making decisions and two people leaving isn't even a pattern.

OP has a point though about two stars in their prime walking on a good team...

Not sure how basic cuts in Buffalo can compare to the Brown and Bell maelstrom

and all the public hassles it created in the season

He should have retired when Ross undressed him the preseason.

I don't know if you were at the home opener but it was 95 degrees in the stands and probably 120 on the field.

He(Davis) found out in a hurry he had nothing left in the tank.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

OP has a point though about two stars in their prime walking on a good team...

Not sure how basic cuts in Buffalo can compare to the Brown and Bell maelstrom

and all the public hassles it created in the season

Totally agree the two are not related, and its definitely a huge deal for Pittsburgh.  I just don't think you can conclude the team is dysfunctional, sometimes people need a change.

Not all in the same year, but the ongoing purge/exodus of core players by Seattle has been somewhat noteworthy:

2016:  RB Marshawn Lynch ("retired"), LT Russell Okung (FA), LB Bruce Irvin (FA)

2017:  K Steven Hauschka (I had to throw him in here)

2018: DE Cliff Avril (retired), DE Michael Bennett (traded on the cheap), CB Richard Sherman (FA), SS Kam Chancellor (retired)

2019: FS Earl Thomas (can't get out of Seattle fast enough)

And they keep on making the playoffs.  So much for rebuilding.

• Like (+1) 1