Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

In my opinion he is a guard. Trying to make him a center hurt him, and he played better when the Jets played him at guard. I would have no issue with him being our starting right guard. Sign Morse and Daryl Williams. 

I will say this, Long is not a zone player, so I hope that this means we are going to more of a power run attack. 

If that's the case, maybe Miller gets re-signed. He played much better in that scheme than in a zone. Just a thought...

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

I was and still am hoping we go for Paradis.  This is a good add for competition and depth at least I guess.

Unless they brought him in to play G I doubt they go after Paradis, especially because I don’t think Beane is the type to overpay in Free Agency and Paradis will be way over paid. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

In my opinion he is a guard. Trying to make him a center hurt him, and he played better when the Jets played him at guard. I would have no issue with him being our starting right guard. Sign Morse and Daryl Williams. 

I will say this, Long is not a zone player, so I hope that this means we are going to more of a power run attack. 

When I read he doesn't fit Gase's style I thought this might be the case-- glad to hear you say it! New England showed this year that the climate ia favorable for a power running game right now against these smaller, pass-oriented defenses.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, billspro said:

Unless they brought him in to play G I doubt they go after Paradis, especially because I don’t think Beane is the type to overpay in Free Agency and Paradis will be way over paid. 

Yeah true... either way, we need to see some serious attention to the OL, good to see them starting early.

12 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

44 starts in a 53 game career, only ended up a FA due to coaching changes. This will be the end here for Groy. Long and Bodine compete for the starting center gig. 

No he’s an FA because he was extremely mediocre. He was the one responsible for flinging snap after snap over Darnold’s head. He broke two fingers and Bowles kept him in for some ungodly reason so he’s not necessarily as bad as that stretch of games suggests but still very mediocre. You guys better hope he’s a back up. Good riddance to that guy.

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yes he is a zone player lol.

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

No he’s an FA because he was extremely mediocre. He was the one responsible for flinging snap after snap over Darnold’s head. He broke two fingers and Bowles kept him in for some ungodly reason so he’s not necessarily as bad as that stretch of games suggests but still very mediocre. You guys better hope he’s a back up. Good riddance to that guy.

Well mediocre is a huge upgrade for our oline. At this point we just need to add some NFL talent to the oline, even if it is only mediocre. Hopefully he will end up as a backup after the draft. I think that is where we are going to address the C position. But at least we have a guy that can play and not get our franchise QB killed. Last year was embarrassing, it was the worst oline I have witnessed.

Edited by billspro

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We are supposed to GAF what a jets fan says lol

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Family full of Jets fans.

Solid Guard, not so much at Center....  struggles with shotgun snap. Good depth signing, could start at one of the Guard positions.

We need to fill 4 positions on the oline, at least this signing gives us some breathing room. 

11 minutes ago, billspro said:

I would like Paradis as much as the next guy......but lets face facts...Denver will probably resign him.

Gots to have back up plans

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He was hurt for much of last year. I hope that he is here to fill the Groy role. Let him be the depth guy on the interior.

This. My guess is he is being brought in to provide versatile depth as a C/G backup. He is an improvement over Groy.

From a 2017 CBS article...

Spencer Long

At the midseason point, I was very impressed with Spencer Long. After all, he had just come into the starting lineup in Week 3 to strengthen the team’s weakness at center. In our midseason grades, I said the following of Long:

When Spencer Long stepped into the starting lineup for the Washington Redskins, everything changed. The team immediately improved their run blocking, but they especially improved their pass blocking. Opposing teams were no longer able to get a ridiculous amount of pressure on Cousins and that really helped the quarterback.

Since Long has been in the lineup, Cousins has had the time to improve his decision making and accuracy. Long has been rock solid in all aspects of the game, and it really makes you wonder why the team did not put him in the lineup sooner.

Long has also been a versatile player for the Redskins. He has mostly played center, but he has filled in at guard on some snaps, and he has been solid at both positions. Essentially, he is a good quality starting interior lineman who should only improve with more playing time.

All of that rings true to the end of the season. Long has continued to play well, though he was slowed down by a concussion at the close of the season. He has earned the right to be the team’s starting center moving forward, and definitely should be a solid player moving forward.

Long’s Season Grade: B

• Like (+1) 4