Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

You gotta hand it to Beane, he sure knows how to rile up the fan base for no reason before they understand what might have really happened. I just hope they do not think they have just solved one of the four starting jobs they seem to me and others to need.

FWIW, my Jet fan friends do agree that his hand was the main culprit last season and that he isn't entirely awful, which is a glowing recommendation.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think people are mad about this signing because they might think that the Bills are continuing the bargain basement shopping routine for OLmen.

Vlad and Bodine are examples of this.

If the Bills think that Allen is going to be a franchise QB, the days of shopping at Walmart for your OLmen have to be over.

Thats why people are mad.

If McBeane still had TT, than you can almost understand this line of thinking about the OL

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You gotta hand it to Beane, he sure knows how to rile up the fan base for no reason before they understand what might have really happened. I just hope they do not think they have just solved one of the four starting jobs they seem to me and others to need.

FWIW, my Jet fan friends do agree that his hand was the main culprit last season and that he isn't entirely awful, which is a glowing recommendation.

You need to upgrade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I agree but yeah the market isn't there this year. If someone like AJ Green is available could see us swinging a trade for him. But I'm hoping they straight up buy an offensive line. I don't trust rookie linemen and we could use to replace everyone except Dawkins and maybe Teller.

I wouldn't mind getting another prime rookie prospect with one of our two top picks. I have been touting Jonah Williams because although he isn't the most physically imposing player he is the most technically sound player of the prospects. He's a plug and play player. I don't care where he plays on the line I consider him a worthy pick. 

This is a good depth signing. We still need 2 more O-lineman. The better they are the better this signing will look. 

If we are fortunate enough to sign Mitch Morse and Ja'wuan James/ Daryl Williams all of a sudden our offensive line is looking like a strong point. Add in a potential #9 pick in Jonah Williams and all of a sudden we could be really cooking. Though my preference would be to draft BPA and that likely is someone on defense. 

Dawkins - Teller - Morse - Long - James/Williams starting. Bodine is a capable depth center. Who else do we have signed? 

Edited by Iamkrgr

1 minute ago, Iamkrgr said:

This is a good depth signing. We still need 2 more O-lineman. The better they are the better this signing will look. 

If we are fortunate enough to sign Mitch Morse and Ja'wuan James/ Daryl Williams all of a sudden our offensive line is looking like a strong point. Add in a potential #9 pick in Jonah Williams and all of a sudden we could be really cooking. Though my preference would be to draft BPA and that likely is someone on defense. 

Dawkins - Teller - Morse - Long - James/Williams starting. Bodine is a capable depth center. Who else do we have signed? 

Bodine-Sirles-Boettger is somewhat decent depth, but should be upgraded with draft picks. 

Swing tackle to get in UFA is Josh Wells. No one really knows about him, but he's started quite a few games for the Jaguars at both right and left tackle. He is the definition of the perfect swing tackle. Smart, versatile, and won't get anyone killed out there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I think people are mad about this signing because they might think that the Bills are continuing the bargain basement shopping routine for OLmen.

If the Bills think that Allen is going to be a franchise QB, the days of shopping at Walmart for your OLmen have to be over.

If McBeane still had TT, than you can almost understand this line of thinking about the OL

Vlad and Bodine were starters in previous stints whether folks think highly of them or not.

And they were signed while the Bills had cap constraints.  They were affordable veterans,

with starting experience.

Free agency has not begun yet.   Long was suddenly available.  He has versatility and a lot of starting

experience, whether folks think highly of him or not.  He takes up peanuts against the cap. The Bills need

depth/competition up and down the line.

Free agency has not begun yet.

This has been a message...  If this were a real emergency please wait until March to get upset about

a signing or lack thereof when free agency actually begins.  This has been a message...

On 2/13/2019 at 12:37 PM, Turk71 said:

Right, so this cast off from the Jets who was a disaster last year and is now the Bills highest paid o lineman by double was in high demand and the Bills, because their o line is so God awful, had to overpay. Got it.

So glad smart guys like you are there to help us dummies. Wondering if you can help with this engineering project I'm working on. There is a lot of physics involved.

read the rest of the posts in response to yours, you lil cranky pants!

anyone we add to our OL will be paid more than what we have because we have just about the lowest paid OL in the NFL. 

same thing for CBs too!  i'll have you know that it is very possible we sign a cb who is not as good as trey white for more than we are paying trey white, and it could be a good move.  isn't that crazy!?

is your rule to look at what the team pays for current players rather than what the average price or going rates are for the players a team signs?  in reference to your homework project, consider position vs speed vs velocity, and shine up an apple and stand straight!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

Vlad and Bodine were starters in previous stints whether folks think highly of them or not.

And they were signed while the Bills had cap constraints.  They were affordable veterans,

with starting experience.

Free agency has not begun yet.   Long was suddenly available.  He has versatility and a lot of starting

experience, whether folks think highly of him or not.  He takes up peanuts against the cap. The Bills need

depth/competition up and down the line.

Free agency has not begun yet.

This has been a message...  If this were a real emergency please wait until March to get upset about

a signing or lack thereof when free agency actually begins.  This has been a message...

I am with you.

I am just pointing out the reason why people who are upset. And I don't blame them either.

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

So, can I delete the 50 some posts from ledge jumpers that claim we’re doomed?

only if you can promise we are not doomed.

signed

Doomed

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

it also may be a Mother Hen reaction. We might have the Franchise QB starting next season !

and i do not want any one putting hands on him or shoving him to the ground !

Protect Josh at any and all costs

: )

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Iamkrgr said:

Stop getting me all stoked for next season lol

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, colin said:

read the rest of the posts in response to yours, you lil cranky pants!

anyone we add to our OL will be paid more than what we have because we have just about the lowest paid OL in the NFL. 

same thing for CBs too!  i'll have you know that it is very possible we sign a cb who is not as good as trey white for more than we are paying trey white, and it could be a good move.  isn't that crazy!?

is your rule to look at what the team pays for current players rather than what the average price or going rates are for the players a team signs?  in reference to your homework project, consider position vs speed vs velocity, and shine up an apple and stand straight!

I was pretty cranky that day. Turns out it was a great contract for the team and Beane did a great job. Hope he turns out to be a good player. My complaint about Long being the highest paid o lineman and Bodine and Ducasse next in line was more about the lack of talent on the Bills line. Last year's fa pickups were uninspiring to say the least and I was concerned this year would be more of the same. If they are gonna spend for talent in fa I am hoping the line is a major focus. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like this signing a lot after seeing the contract numbers.

If he works out, he could be a cheap starter for the next 3 years. If not, there is really nothing lost. Very little dead cap hit.  I don’t see the downside here... all in all a pretty good signing, especially for mid February. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

I am with you.

I am just pointing out the reason why people who are upset. And I don't blame them either.

I hear you.  I'm just saying that It seems some people get upset just to get upset.  If FA was under way and Paradis or Morse and Williams, etc. were available, and Long was the first signing I can see folks being upset.  But being upset because Beane signed a guy, at a position of need, who came available In the middle of February?  I say good.  It tells me Beane is awake.  

The fact that Long jumped so quickly on what amounts to a prove it deal tells me he's bought into Beane and McD, and their vision for the organization; that's also a good thing.