Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not sure I agree. Overall they will build through the draft but they aren't saving all that free cap space for 3-4 seasons from now. I would expect them to go for one or two big names in free agency this year and it just so happens that the biggest names are on the offensive line. Beane came right out and said he would love a veteran center protecting Allen. They don't want to rely on a rookie for that job. I expect them to go pretty hard after Paradis or Morse even if they have to overpay. Being smart with the salary cap allows you to overpay a couple free agents per year. I really think they are trying to build the team like that Patriots. Draft your own, establish your system, but go for a big free agent now and again when it fits a need.

I don't disagree with anything you said. What I would like to add is that I think this regime would be willing to spend some extra cash to get a dependable receiver for Allen. Getting a #1 caliber receiver is difficult to acquire from the market. Recognizing that there are some good quality #2 caliber receivers and TEs out there that should help put the our young qb in a better position to succeed. 

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not sure I agree. Overall they will build through the draft but they aren't saving all that free cap space for 3-4 seasons from now. I would expect them to go for one or two big names in free agency this year and it just so happens that the biggest names are on the offensive line. Beane came right out and said he would love a veteran center protecting Allen. They don't want to rely on a rookie for that job. I expect them to go pretty hard after Paradis or Morse even if they have to overpay. Being smart with the salary cap allows you to overpay a couple free agents per year. I really think they are trying to build the team like that Patriots. Draft your own, establish your system, but go for a big free agent now and again when it fits a need.

Shaw thinks there's not much difference between most o-linemen who are playing and he further believes that one can find fellas sitting on the couch waiting for a chance to play who are just about as good as the marginal olinemen who make up the bulk of the NFL. (This is how I recollect a conversation last year with him.) I just don't agree with his assessment of the position. Franchise success is largely related to how well you develop the qb position. Josh Allen has a much better chance of succeeding with a significant upgrade in talent around him. The oline should be priority number one. What's the point of being prudent or frugal while you have a potential franchise qb on a rookie contract? This is when you should go after the best veteran olinemen available. If Bills don't make a strong push for D. Williams and either Morse or Paradis, I'll be surprised.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't disagree with anything you said. What I would like to add is that I think this regime would be willing to spend some extra cash to get a dependable receiver for Allen. Getting a #1 caliber receiver is difficult to acquire from the market. Recognizing that there are some good quality #2 caliber receivers and TEs out there that should help put the our young qb in a better position to succeed. 

I agree with Gunner Bill that a fella like Golden Tate would provide the veteran leadership the wr corps presently lacks. In addition, I hope they expend an early pick (not necessarily in the first) on WR. My understanding is there is pretty good depth at TE in the draft, so there ought to be a good chance to improve there, but really, we need youth at all the skill positions on offense.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow, he looks a lot better than I expected. Moves really well. It's clear from these highlights that he's much better at Guard than Center, but either way, this guy is a major upgrade from Miller or Ducasse.

I see this move is a contingency plan for if we don't land a top FA OL. The backup plan would probably be Bodine at Center & Long at Guard.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What I would like to add is that I think this regime would be willing to spend some extra cash to get a dependable receiver for Allen. Getting a #1 caliber receiver is difficult to acquire from the market

I agree but yeah the market isn't there this year. If someone like AJ Green is available could see us swinging a trade for him. But I'm hoping they straight up buy an offensive line. I don't trust rookie linemen and we could use to replace everyone except Dawkins and maybe Teller.

49 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Can everyone calm down a bit now?

Ha ha.  Actually after hearing those contract numbers I'm excited about the signing.

If Long can compete for a starting G job and be a competent C backup AND it get's Bodine cut by

end of camp (or earlier)..................it's great.

55 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I mentioned the other day that when the national reporters tweet out contract #s immediately, it’s usually right from the agent and the agent wants it to look like the biggest contract as possible. It’s rarely how it appears when it is broken down. 

• Like (+1) 1

After seeing these contract numbers, there really shouldn't be a single Bills fan that's still upset about his signing. That is an OUTSTANDING value for a player of Long's talent (when healthy). And if he doesn't remain healthy or is unable to win a starting job, the Bills can easily cut him with no negative long term ramifications.

Awesome job by Beane.

Also, with these new numbers in mind, I no longer feel that Long's signing will preclude the Bills from signing other quality o-linemen.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Jesus...this

I know that this is a bit of a culture shock to folks given the last 2 years......but we just cleared out a HUGE amount of cap space to sign players....that is behind us....and we are in play for whoever we want that will take the bills money.

Then Beane being the shrewed guy he is.....signs a veteran OG/OC on the cheap.....more moves are coming folkd....lets throw money at Denver's center and play this guy at OG.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The ignore user feature is your friend.    Apply liberally...

Agreed Lurker.....I do need to use it more.

I am now thinking the real strife of our visiting ugly green team wearing folks is that their team paid SO MUCH for the guy while we paid so little.

Dont blame us because our front office is better

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

After seeing these contract numbers, there really shouldn't be a single Bills fan that's still upset about his signing. That is an OUTSTANDING value for a player of Long's talent (when healthy). And if he doesn't remain healthy or is unable to win a starting job, the Bills can easily cut him with no negative long term ramifications.

Awesome job by Beane.

Also, with these new numbers in mind, I no longer feel that Long's signing will preclude the Bills from signing other quality o-linemen.

Yes sir.  If this causes Bodine (who only plays Center) to be let go (2.3 million in cap savings) and Long is at 4 this year...........

...............Beane upgraded to a swing G/C who may start at G for an extra 1.7 million.

Great value move.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes sir.  If this causes Bodine (who only plays Center) to be let go (2.3 million in cap savings) and Long is at 4 this year...........

...............Beane upgraded to a swing G/C who may start at G for an extra 1.7 million.

Great value move.

I imagine Gunner would be quite happy with this (not meant as a poke....just following your thoughts on it Gunner)

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I mentioned the other day that when the national reporters tweet out contract #s immediately, it’s usually right from the agent and the agent wants it to look like the biggest contract as possible. It’s rarely how it appears when it is broken down. 

So, can I delete the 50 some posts from ledge jumpers that claim we’re doomed?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, Logic said:

Awesome job by Beane.

Looking at the contract numbers this is another Beane "steal" and well done. I don't see this player at center and in my view is a direct upgrade for Miller at RG. Which puts an actual warm body in that position as Miller will be gone as a UFA. 

• Like (+1) 1