Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

9 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Free Agency hasn't started.

The Draft hasn't started.

Beane literally signed the ONLY offensive lineman with starting experience available in February.  And people are freaking out like the front office is done adding players and ready to move into training camp. 

Besides.  The best veteran signings are always the ones that fly under the radar.  Remember all the criticism after we signed Jordan Poyer?  One of the priority moves of this regime was to sign a safety from a 1-15 team with a terrible secondary. 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c64133a774458302e

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The signing of a Jets starter that played so poorly last year that the new regime cut him tells me not much has changed since the Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley eras of bringing in scrubs and hoping that they can get the job done. 

Some Bills fans are upset at this signing and justifiably so when you hope to see high-quality upgrades on the line and now Beane signs a "maybe" player. Maybe it was an injury and maybe he is just another bum like all the rest they signed last year.

I know this is not the way I was hoping this FO would replace Eric Woods, Richie Incognito! The only position he might be a decent upgrade at is at RG as Mills is hopefully gone and even then I was hoping for better.

I want to see this franchise build a dominant offensive line. 

I mean what exactly is there to be upset about? You were hoping to see high-quality upgrades in February before free agency even started?

Free agency hasn't even started, so who exactly did the Bills pass up. They signed THE ONLY offensive lineman available who's had starting experience and they signed him for depth money. The Bills currently have Teller, Bodine, Sirles, Ducasse and Boettger under contract. They need a backup Center when Groy leaves and they need depth at the Guard position. What is the problem with signing a player that had a down year in NY but was a solid LG for the Redskins his first 2 years? He was forced into the Center role in DC but still was fairly solid.

The Bills aren't going to build a dominant OL completely through free agency, again which hasn't started, so I'm not exactly sure why you've pinned your hopes on that. 

he's an average to below average starting interior NFL lineman who is being given a below average starting NFL interior lineman contract.  If he suits the system he's an OK starter, solid back up, if he doesn't then he's a bad signing.

I get people not thinking he's a good or great player, but i really don't understand the comments on his contract.  What do you people think NFL Olinemen make?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, colin said:

he's an average to below average starting interior NFL lineman who is being given a below average starting NFL interior lineman contract.  If he suits the system he's an OK starter, solid back up, if he doesn't then he's a bad signing.

I get people not thinking he's a good or great player, but i really don't understand the comments on his contract.  What do you people think NFL Olinemen make?

I think people are worried about his annual salary being 8th highest on the Bills. That actually just says more about the Bills than anything , because they don’t have many big contracts. It’s not a big contract, at all, for a starting G or C. 

• Like (+1) 2

Here is some good analysis of his work from 2017 with the Redskins, from a Jets blog last year - notes are in reference to how he would fit with the Jets.

http://turnonthejets.com/2018/07/toj-new-york-jets-film-breakdown-spencer-long-2017-short-form/

An excerpt-

When Long is on the field he offers a very strong, smart and relentless player who offers loads of nastiness on the field. The trenches is a “punch you in the mouth” position and the Jets have severely lacked that the last few years and Long offers that to the offensive line. In a broad description of his weaknesses, they all stem from a lack of athleticism. Long isn’t a player who you want trap blocking, reach blocking or pulling as he is best in a “phone booth”.

Strengths-

• Big and long frame.
  • Plays with a good base.
  • Strong anchor.
  • Always drives legs.
  • Physical and nasty player.
  • Competitive.
  • Very strong.
  • Balance.
  • Creates push in run game.
  • Rarely gets beat by bull rush.
  • Doesn’t stand around in pass protection if not blocking, will knock somebody on their ass.
  • Good at getting in on blocks while maintaining zone.
  • Quick out of stance.
  • Keeps eyes in second level on combo blocks.
  • Times blocks well.

Weaknesses

• Injuries.
  • Athleticism.
  • Struggles to get in most advantageous position.
  • Hard to be affective on screens, traps, pulls, reaches.
  • Slow feet.
  • Heavy legs.
  • Straight line speed.
  • Technique is inconsistent at times.
  • Upper body is straight up during some blocks.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is what it seems like to me. 

And it's precisely what Beane said would be their approach to free agency ... bring in guys to fill all the holes, so they don't have to draft from need.

And yet spend judiciously. 

That's what we've got here. He looks like a guy who if they can't bring in a Paradis or draft a Bradbury or someone like him, that this guy would be a guy you wouldn't mind as a starter, at guard or center. An upgrade on what we have. But if we do bring in some of those other guys Long would be a backup far better than what we have now.

People want Beane to go nuts and bring in tons of expensive FAs. That's not judicious. We'll be seeing a bunch of guys of Long's level brought in, IMO.

I'm responding to a lot of people and picked your post.   I think you're correct about bringing in guys to fill needs, not trying to hit home runs.

I think you get it, but a lot of people don't.  McBeane have been completely clear about their philosophy, and it seems people aren't listening.   They intend to get their good players in the draft and undrafted free agents, and they intend to use their cap money to keep good players they already have.   No one should expect that the Bills will sign stars in free agency.   Maybe one here or there, but that is NOT how the Bills intend to upgrade talent.   McBeane have said that over and over again.  

The FIRST consideration in looking at their cap room is "how much money are we going to need to keep Allen and Edmunds."   Really.   White.  Maybe Poyer and Hyde.   Then they recognize that in this draft and the next one they're going to find a couple of keepers, and they'll need to reserve cap money for them.  Then they work back from there. 

In free agency the Bills are going to sign guys they believe will be quality role players.  They even will spend more than fans think their worth, like on Star and Murphy.   They won't sign, I don't think, Pro Bowl players, at least not until the Bills get good and see a particular need to be a champion.  When they're good, yes maybe a Pro Bowl player at an important position of need.   

I know I'm a broken record, but they're doing what the Pats have done and do.  The Pats got good by (1) finding their QB and (2) getting a whole bunch of small-name role players in free agency.  The season they won their first Super Bowl, they signed 8 or 9 guys in free agency that year, all guys who appeared to be journeymen or failures somewhere else.  Vrabel was one of them.  These were 8 or 9 guys who were significant contributors.  Everyone wondered what they were doing.   

Look at the guys the Pats have signed from the Bills.   Overpaid (in most people's minds) for Hogan.  Overpaid (in most people's mind's) for Gillislee.  Some of those players become useful contributors, some don't.   Paid top dollar for Gilmore, but only when they had a championship and wanted a key piece.   When the Pats were getting good, around 2000, they didn't buy any big-name players.    

That's the forumla McBeane are using.   Spencer is one one of those guys for the Bills.   The Bills signed him, I'm sure, first because he's a competitor, he works his but off, and he'll commit to the process.   Second, because he has talent that appears to be an upgrade over what the Bills have.  We all scratch our heads because he isn't a star, because he's a cast-off from the Jets, but McBeane knew what they were doing.  Two years from now, if they Spencer has developed into a quality starter or been replaced by a younger player, they'll sign another free agent like him, looking to upgrade.  

People need to remember that MOST of the players on any team, including the good teams, are average or below average players.   There are 32 teams in the league, and there are fewer than 100 stars.  On average, each team has three.    A few teams might have 5 or 6 and a few only 0 or 1.  But that means that even the best teams are starting 15 or more players who are good or average or below average or prospects who are developing.   

If Spencer is an average NFL center or guard, the Bills will have made a good move, because they will have upgraded.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm responding to a lot of people and picked your post.   I think you're correct about bringing in guys to fill needs, not trying to hit home runs.

I think you get it, but a lot of people don't.  McBeane have been completely clear about their philosophy, and it seems people aren't listening.   They intend to get their good players in the draft and undrafted free agents, and they intend to use their cap money to keep good players they already have.   No one should expect that the Bills will sign stars in free agency.   Maybe one here or there, but that is NOT how the Bills intend to upgrade talent.   McBeane have said that over and over again.  

The FIRST consideration in looking at their cap room is "how much money are we going to need to keep Allen and Edmunds."   Really.   White.  Maybe Poyer and Hyde.   Then they recognize that in this draft and the next one they're going to find a couple of keepers, and they'll need to reserve cap money for them.  Then they work back from there. 

In free agency the Bills are going to sign guys they believe will be quality role players.  They even will spend more than fans think their worth, like on Star and Murphy.   They won't sign, I don't think, Pro Bowl players, at least not until the Bills get good and see a particular need to be a champion.  When they're good, yes maybe a Pro Bowl player at an important position of need.   

I know I'm a broken record, but they're doing what the Pats have done and do.  The Pats got good by (1) finding their QB and (2) getting a whole bunch of small-name role players in free agency.  The season they won their first Super Bowl, they signed 8 or 9 guys in free agency that year, all guys who appeared to be journeymen or failures somewhere else.  Vrabel was one of them.  These were 8 or 9 guys who were significant contributors.  Everyone wondered what they were doing.   

Look at the guys the Pats have signed from the Bills.   Overpaid (in most people's minds) for Hogan.  Overpaid (in most people's mind's) for Gillislee.  Some of those players become useful contributors, some don't.   Paid top dollar for Gilmore, but only when they had a championship and wanted a key piece.   When the Pats were getting good, around 2000, they didn't buy any big-name players.    

That's the forumla McBeane are using.   Spencer is one one of those guys for the Bills.   The Bills signed him, I'm sure, first because he's a competitor, he works his but off, and he'll commit to the process.   Second, because he has talent that appears to be an upgrade over what the Bills have.  We all scratch our heads because he isn't a star, because he's a cast-off from the Jets, but McBeane knew what they were doing.  Two years from now, if they Spencer has developed into a quality starter or been replaced by a younger player, they'll sign another free agent like him, looking to upgrade.  

People need to remember that MOST of the players on any team, including the good teams, are average or below average players.   There are 32 teams in the league, and there are fewer than 100 stars.  On average, each team has three.    A few teams might have 5 or 6 and a few only 0 or 1.  But that means that even the best teams are starting 15 or more players who are good or average or below average or prospects who are developing.   

If Spencer is an average NFL center or guard, the Bills will have made a good move, because they will have upgraded.  

Bravo!

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's the money line right there. 

If Spencer Long is even average, the Bills have found an upgrade. 

To have found a likely roster upgrade (let's be honest, his best film with Washington showed a player who is superior to Miller/Bodine/Groy at this juncture) in February, for such a reasonable cost, has to count as a win for the Bills. If he gets hurt again or his level of play doesn't return to what it was in 2017, then he's a good depth piece and, again, isn't tying up much cash.

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This should be the start of its own thread. 

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you are largely correct. I have equally been saying do not look at all the cap space this year and think it will all be used. That is not going to happen - they are looking at this as a long term thing.

I do think they need to use this offseason as a bit of an opportunity though. At this point they have a young Quarterback they are excited about. They have him for 4 more years of a rookie deal. It has been proven in the modern NFL that one of the best times to make a run is when your QB is playing on a rookie deal. They have to find deals in FA (and before) that bring in good players on a contracts where any guarantees are upfront and where there is not much left on the books after the 2020 season when they begin starting to pay their own: - Milano, Dawkins, White, Edmunds, Allen etc.

The unit that most prevented this team from winning more games in 2018 was the offensive line. They have to be aggressive there and both McDermott and Beane admitted as much in their end of season press conferences. I expect they will look to find another young starter in the draft, I suspect they will give Wyatt Teller every opportunity to win a starting gig in 2019 too and then they will start from the premise that the line is three of their own - but that still leaves spots to be filled. Spencer Long adds to the competition and is a reasonable chance worth taking but they need to bring in at least one guy on that unit who is a slam dunk. Because if Teller doesn't kick on and Long is not as good as they hope you are back in the 2018 position where your offensive line is contributing significantly to losses and to allow that would be to waste a year of the opportunity that Josh's rookie deal provides.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you are largely correct. I have equally been saying do not look at all the cap space this year and think it will all be used. That is not going to happen - they are looking at this as a long term thing.

I do think they need to use this offseason as a bit of an opportunity though. At this point they have a young Quarterback they are excited about. They have him for 4 more years of a rookie deal. It has been proven in the modern NFL that one of the best times to make a run is when your QB is playing on a rookie deal. They have to find deals in FA (and before) that bring in good players on a contracts where any guarantees are upfront and where there is not much left on the books after the 2020 season when they begin starting to pay their own: - Milano, Dawkins, White, Edmunds, Allen etc.

The unit that most prevented this team from winning more games in 2018 was the offensive line. They have to be aggressive there and both McDermott and Beane admitted as much in their end of season press conferences. I expect they will look to find another young starter in the draft, I suspect they will give Wyatt Teller every opportunity to win a starting gig in 2019 too and then they will start from the premise that the line is three of their own - but that still leaves spots to be filled. Spencer Long adds to the competition and is a reasonable chance worth taking but they need to bring in at least one guy on that unit who is a slam dunk. Because if Teller doesn't kick on and Long is not as good as they hope you are back in the 2018 position where your offensive line is contributing significantly to losses and to allow that would be to waste a year of the opportunity that Josh's rookie deal provides.

Thanks for your comments and the other positive feedback.  If we just listen to McBeane, they tell us what they're doing.

But even on the offensive line, I think we may see less change than people want.   I think it's important to remember that more than any other position group, the offensive line succeeds or fails AS A GROUP.   It's more about teamwork than it is about talent.   (I'm not saying they don't need talent, just that it's less important than a lot of people think.)   I think the offensive line needs a couple of anchor players and three decent players, all of whom have mastered the teamwork necessary.  

McBeane have told us it's about teamwork.  And a tell-tale sign is that one of the first off-season moves they made was to change the offensive line coach.  They decided they didn't have the right guy in the job.   

Two years ago the Bills had their two anchor players and a collection of young guys who weren't great talents.    They lost Wood and Incognito, none of the returning guys stepped up, and the Bills' principal move, Bodine, wasn't good enough, at least not alone, to pull everyone up.   

I never thought Wood was a star, but he was an anchor.  Spencer might be that, too.   

I think the Bills will go after one or two more quality offensive linemen with some combination of free agent signing and high draft pick.   If they can find two quality starters (like, for example, Spencer and a first-round pick), and if the new coach is better than the old one, I think the o line can improve significantly.   Two quality starters and some combination of Dawkins, Mills, Groy, MIller, Ducasse and Bodine can get the job done.  If somehow the Bills get three new starter, the talent upgrade is great, but the teamwork suffers, because you have three players learning the system, instead of just two.  Still, McBeane will take the third new starter if they can find him.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for your comments and the other positive feedback.  If we just listen to McBeane, they tell us what they're doing.

But even on the offensive line, I think we may see less change than people want.   I think it's important to remember that more than any other position group, the offensive line succeeds or fails AS A GROUP.   It's more about teamwork than it is about talent.   (I'm not saying they don't need talent, just that it's less important than a lot of people think.)   I think the offensive line needs a couple of anchor players and three decent players, all of whom have mastered the teamwork necessary.  

McBeane have told us it's about teamwork.  And a tell-tale sign is that one of the first off-season moves they made was to change the offensive line coach.  They decided they didn't have the right guy in the job.   

Two years ago the Bills had their two anchor players and a collection of young guys who weren't great talents.    They lost Wood and Incognito, none of the returning guys stepped up, and the Bills' principal move, Bodine, wasn't good enough, at least not alone, to pull everyone up.   

I never thought Wood was a star, but he was an anchor.  Spencer might be that, too.   

I think the Bills will go after one or two more quality offensive linemen with some combination of free agent signing and high draft pick.   If they can find two quality starters (like, for example, Spencer and a first-round pick), and if the new coach is better than the old one, I think the o line can improve significantly.   Two quality starters and some combination of Dawkins, Mills, Groy, MIller, Ducasse and Bodine can get the job done.  If somehow the Bills get three new starter, the talent upgrade is great, but the teamwork suffers, because you have three players learning the system, instead of just two.  Still, McBeane will take the third new starter if they can find him.  

I think looking back to two years ago doesn't help because that line needed upgrading as was. The right years to look at are the Rex years. That line had two studs on the left side in Cordy (top 8-10 LT) and Richie (top 10 LG). They then had a solid serviceable anchor at C and two average to below average players on the right. They need to get that sort of balance. At the moment we have one serviceable starter. They either need Dawkins to step up from serviceable to stud or they need to find two immediate impact players of that level. I still think Quinton Spain should be signed.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Worth saying to those freaking out over this just step back and consider our interior OLine position before this signing:

2018 Starters

John Miller - UFA - unlikely to be back

Wyat Teller - Under rookie contract - 2nd year player with 7 below average starts under his belt

Russell Bodine - Under contract - To cut him would cost $500k in dead money but produce cap savings of $2.3m

2018 Depth

Ryan Groy - UFA - unlikely to be back

Vlad Ducasse - Under contract - To cut would cost less than $100k in dead money and produce cap savings of $2m

Jeremiah Sirles - Extended for 1 year - Can be cut at $0 cost and might not make the roster

Ike Boettger - Under contract - 0 NFL Starts can be cut at $0 cost.

The only and I genuinely think ONLY one of those who is guaranteed to be on the 2019 roster is Wyatt Teller. The rest could all be disposed of with a cost of less than $600k in dead money. They need to be turning over every stone to find people to improve the OL. Taking a chance on a guy who had a bad year playing injured but has been a serviceable above average starter elsewhere in the past is fine in my book. If by the end of the draft this is the only move they have made then that is a different story.

Thought Wyatt played a little better then below average but other then that I totally agree with all of it

Edited by John from Riverside

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I need to see the contract details before giving my opinion.  If it's really a one year prove it deal like the contract he signed with the Jets. (say it's three million base with four million guaranteed with no dead cap money if w release him after one year), I'll be happy with that.  If he surprises and becomes a solid starter then we won't have to worry about signing him again next two years as you would with a one year prove it deal.  That's a solid signing then.

If most of this is guaranteed then it's likely an awful move.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Worth saying to those freaking out over this just step back and consider our interior OLine position before this signing:

2018 Starters

John Miller - UFA - unlikely to be back

Wyat Teller - Under rookie contract - 2nd year player with 7 below average starts under his belt

Russell Bodine - Under contract - To cut him would cost $500k in dead money but produce cap savings of $2.3m

2018 Depth

Ryan Groy - UFA - unlikely to be back

Vlad Ducasse - Under contract - To cut would cost less than $100k in dead money and produce cap savings of $2m

Jeremiah Sirles - Extended for 1 year - Can be cut at $0 cost and might not make the roster

Ike Boettger - Under contract - 0 NFL Starts can be cut at $0 cost.

The only and I genuinely think ONLY one of those who is guaranteed to be on the 2019 roster is Wyatt Teller. The rest could all be disposed of with a cost of less than $600k in dead money. They need to be turning over every stone to find people to improve the OL. Taking a chance on a guy who had a bad year playing injured but has been a serviceable above average starter elsewhere in the past is fine in my book. If by the end of the draft this is the only move they have made then that is a different story.

Doc and Gunner's post is all anyone needs to know about this signing.

If posters want to get on either extreme of these facts it seems to me they have an "agenda".