Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

I'm not even sure that he's any better than Bodine, Groy, Miller, Ducasse or Teller, but OK. I hope the deal gives us an easy out if he doesn't return to where he was at in 2017 when he was average. He was terrible last year, but he may have been playing hurt. I don't know. His profile doesn't mention any injuries. 5ty year out of Nebraska. Drafted by 'skins 3rd round 2014. 6'5" 318 lbs.

We still need to draft a C/G in round 2, IMO.

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Seems their plan is to have him and Bodine battle it out for starting Center. 

If he doesn't win it I think he is one of your starting Guards. 

Both of our starting G's are better than Groy and Bodine. If he can't beat out Bodine, he'll be riding the bench.

Just now, njbuff said:

I thought McDermott was high on Boettger??

Coaches always talk up players if the player in question is trying. Only guys like Darius get trashed by them.

2 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I mean, the Bills can save 2.3 million by cutting him. 

2019 Contract details by year 27 $1,900,000 $500,000 $206,244 $200,000 $2,806,244 $500,000 $2,306,244($4,862,488)

Every time I see something like "can save $$$ by cutting a player" I wonder if the Pegulas think that way.  It seems like just pissing away money.  I know it is normal in the NFL, but it seems like such a waste.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Can't imagine Murphy is here much longer. 

I think you must have a limited imagination.   

Murphy's on the team because of his heart.   He's a role model of how to practice and play.  When they have other similar role models on the dline, then Murphy is expendable.   I don't think Hughes is that role model.   Star is, and Murphy.  Not Lawson, not the Phillips. 

I fully expect to see Murphy in a Bills uniform for another season.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Sounds like he was pretty good in Washington actually. Then he had one rough half-season with the Jets before moving back to guard and fairing okay.

Played Right Guard in college by the way which suits us perfectly...

this is how i see it. especially the College bit.  Keep Teller at LG. and give him a chance at RG. He can back up center. 

They still need to upgrade Bodine imho.
i would prefer a more solid signing for starting Center.
what does this say about Dawkins moving to guard though : ) ?
 My wager is Dion stays at T and Bills look to add /replace RT.

not thrilled. But don't hate it either.

waiting and seeing is my approach for now.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Nobody thought any of those scrubs was the answer to anything

and yet two of them were starters...

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this is true, as well as the comments by me and others that he's started his whole career and he's getting starter money.   I'd guess the Bills figure he's better than what they have but not necessarily the answer.   And as I've been saying since I heard McD say it, they want a veteran leader in every position room, and there isn't a veteran leader on the offensive line.   I'd guess Spencer is their first shot (this year) at filling that veteran leadership role.  

wasn't Bodine a vet ? Mills Ducasse ?

Just not leaders perhaps .

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think they may still try to go after Paradis or Morse..

If they get one of them Long moves to guard...

If they don't then Long will be the starting C and they draft one in the Top 50 to take over by 2020..possibly earlier if they get lucky...

If they are still pursuing one of those fellows? i am delighted and will consider this a very wise move if Long becomes center by default? i will be less pleased.

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you must have a limited imagination.   

Murphy's on the team because of his heart.   He's a role model of how to practice and play.  When they have other similar role models on the dline, then Murphy is expendable.   I don't think Hughes is that role model.   Star is, and Murphy.  Not Lawson, not the Phillips. 

I fully expect to see Murphy in a Bills uniform for another season.  

You don’t think jerry is the model of how to practice and play?  You don’t know jerry then. Just because he had a penchant for getting personal fouls a few years back doesn’t mean he’s not a dedicated and extremely hard worker.  His hustle, motor and dominance of the OL is praised every single offseason.