Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

I know nothing about the guy.  However, after his rookie year, every game where he was in the lineup, he started.  That says something to me - that he isn't  marginal talent.   The coaches wanted him on the field.   That, at least, is a good sign.  

We'll see. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Cant figure out if he is penciled in as a low priced starter or high priced backup. How much is guaranteed? If a significant chunk of the 13 mill is guaranteed, you are looking at a low priced starter. If not, he is a short term backup, who can potentially prove he is worth keeping.

That contract makes him the 16th highest paid center, or the 19th highest paid guard.  Thats close to the middle of the league at both positions.  I'd put my money on him being the starter at one of those positions.    Not a lot of 4.3 million dollar backups in the NFL at Oline.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

From a 2017 CBS article...

Spencer Long

At the midseason point, I was very impressed with Spencer Long. After all, he had just come into the starting lineup in Week 3 to strengthen the team’s weakness at center. In our midseason grades, I said the following of Long:

When Spencer Long stepped into the starting lineup for the Washington Redskins, everything changed. The team immediately improved their run blocking, but they especially improved their pass blocking. Opposing teams were no longer able to get a ridiculous amount of pressure on Cousins and that really helped the quarterback.

Since Long has been in the lineup, Cousins has had the time to improve his decision making and accuracy . Long has been rock solid in all aspects of the game, and it really makes you wonder why the team did not put him in the lineup sooner.

Long has also been a versatile player for the Redskins. He has mostly played center, but he has filled in at guard on some snaps, and he has been solid at both positions. Essentially, he is a good quality starting interior lineman who should only improve with more playing time.

All of that rings true to the end of the season. Long has continued to play well, though he was slowed down by a concussion at the close of the season. He has earned the right to be the team’s starting center moving forward, and definitely should be a solid player moving forward.

Long’s Season Grade: B

Improved cousins accuracy, you say? Well, there you have it, folks. Bills FO admitting Allen has accuracy issues and are bringing Long in to help fix them.  Proof. Cancel your SB parties. Doomed. 

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's been a starter pretty much his whole career. We just signed him to a 3 year deal up to 5 mil a season. I don't want him to be the starter either. But as it stands now, he's the 8th highest paid player on the whole team. I can't fathom paying that for a backup Center.

Especially when you see what they were paying Groy and Bodine to be their starter(s) last season. It's more than both of them combined.

But for the sake of argument, let's say he is depth. Do you really see them going out and signing one of the top Centers to a big time FA deal with that contract already on the books? No way they invest that much in to one position.

I think your right but I wonder if the FO thinks the price for vet lineman is going to raise this year so they're willing to pay more for a vet backup swingman. There seems to be many articles claiming that the college lineman coming out now days aren't prepared to play in the NFL. I don't know if this is true or not but maybe the Bills want to insure they have some vet presence to go along with the lineman they'll be drafting this year.

4 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

I think your right but I wonder if the FO thinks the price for vet lineman is going to raise this year so they're willing to pay more for a vet backup swingman. There seems to be many articles claiming that the college lineman coming out now days aren't prepared to play in the NFL. I don't know if this is true or not but maybe the Bills want to insure they have some vet presence to go along with the lineman they'll be drafting this year.

I think this is true, as well as the comments by me and others that he's started his whole career and he's getting starter money.   I'd guess the Bills figure he's better than what they have but not necessarily the answer.   And as I've been saying since I heard McD say it, they want a veteran leader in every position room, and there isn't a veteran leader on the offensive line.   I'd guess Spencer is their first shot (this year) at filling that veteran leadership role.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think they may still try to go after Paradis or Morse..

If they get one of them Long moves to guard...

If they don't then Long will be the starting C and they draft one in the Top 50 to take over by 2020..possibly earlier if they get lucky...

This is a good point...

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

He was also pretty good in 2016. 

He was ranked #9 in pass protection by PFF, and finished with an overall rank of 29 out of 72 ranked centers. 

The main thing that worries me about long are his run blocking grades.

It looks like he’s been pretty good in pass protection for most of his career. 

As long as he keeps Allen up right I will be happy. It was painful watching Allen get hit on every passing attempt.

• Like (+1) 1

Based on what OL the Bills have under contract for next year, I like this move.  Long has 44 NFL starts and is described as versatile and solid.  At a minimum, sounds like he will be a 6th or 7th lineman.

If the Bills draft a couple of OL, he can be a veteran presence.  He sounds like a tough guy, playing through injury last year, and is smart too.

• Like (+1) 2

Could just be a stop-gap veteran measure and the guy they really want will be a FA in 2020, or they could have their sights on someone like WI Biadasz in next year's draft. Or as others have mentioned he could be used at guard.

3-years is a stop gap kind of contract in my mind, at least I am hopeful this is not an example of the long-term upgrades Beane is planning to make as signing an oft-injured under-performing center leaves me underwhelmed.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Seems their plan is to have him and Bodine battle it out for starting Center. 

If he doesn't win it I think he is one of your starting Guards. 

...and Bodine is a UFA after next season too so I guess depth could be a going concern if they have no plans to resign him.