Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Very odd?? Why sign a guy for 3 years who basically has identical pff ratings as Groy. Groy is #36, Long #37.

Might just be to lock him up for a bit if he returns to form. If they didn’t give him much in the way of a signing bonus or guaranteed money then the three years are not a problem if they cut him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ducej11 said:

From my buddy who is a Jets fan...

"When the Jets got him, my friend who is a Redskins fan told me I would hate him more and more every week. He wasn't wrong. He was the first guy I wanted cut after the season ended."

So, you’re sayin’ there’s a chance.?

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

As pointed out elsewhere, he has ties to DaBoll and Johnson. He started at RT for the Lions as was okay. At least he'd be good depth.

I'm not familiar - do you know what type of blocking scheme Johnson uses? 

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i am hoping that is where Dawkins lands.

I’m hoping Dawkins stays at LT and has a quality LG next to him like he did his rookie year. No fault of anyone but Richie, but imo losing RI next to him had a big impact on Dawkins play year 2.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

I may be in the minority, but I think his pay rate indicates that he IS being looked at as a probable starter. I also think the fact that the Bills list him as a C/G and not just as a G means that they think he has a shot to win the starting center job. Recall Beane's recent comment about "sleeping better at night" if you have a veteran C.

For those counting on the Bills ALSO getting Paradis or Morse: with the signing of Long, I sincerely doubt that's gonna happen. 

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was also pretty good in 2016. 

He was ranked #9 in pass protection by PFF, and finished with an overall rank of 29 out of 72 ranked centers. 

The main thing that worries me about long are his run blocking grades.

It looks like he’s been pretty good in pass protection for most of his career. 

Another factor to consider with regard to his drop in level of play last year? His offensive line coach, none other than Rick Dennison, he of the zone blocking scheme. Here's hoping a scheme and scenery change and a return to full health will pay dividends for Long.

• Like (+1) 7

I think the other point on this is that we likely have every intention of drafting interior OL high in the draft, but can't be dependent upon them in 2019.    I'll be shocked if this guy is getting a huge signing bonus, so the risk is limited if things either go south with his play or go really well with our potential rookie IOL class.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen is doomed 

2 hours ago, sunshynman said:

As long as it's cheap and a depth move, OK. Surprised its a 3 year. Would have thought it would be a prove it type 1 year.

Almost 5 million a year for this clown ???