Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

53 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I am going to reserve judgement until after I see what our new OL coach can do with him and any other guy the Bills bring in.  At least they are not sitting on their hands.

So you don't want to know over react until there is more info?   Makes too much sense.

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

I hope this is an approach to firm up the guard position.  As a center, one of the skill sets is to snap the ball consistently.

He does not do this.  

The coaches shouldn’t have let him play C with broken fingers even if he was cleared. 

He is by far better than most of our OL on the roster and you need solid depth. He is fairly cheap and can play both G and C, this changes no plans. There seem to be some good Cs in this draft and don't count out us going after a good FA Center Like Morse. He may be an adeqaute starting G for us as well. I really don't see us blowing tons of cash on a full new FA OL. I expect 1 or 2 bigger signings on the OL and a bunch of moves like this while we wait for rookies or our 1 yr players to develop more. 

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Great signing.  He is better than Miller, Groy and Bodine. 

Looks like an improvement over what we have, and gives us flexibility.

I read we had the lowest paid group of OLine players last year.

This signing might indicate to available players that we are willing to pay for better play.

The real question is whether our new OLine coaches are any good................

Their thoughts were undoubtedly included in the decision to sign Long.

Now the coaches need to produce ................

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Yep none of it seems true. I just wonder who the source was, and I'm guessing it was Elway. Smear the guy if you know you are going to lose him. 

7 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I hope this is an approach to firm up the guard position.  As a center, one of the skill sets is to snap the ball consistently.

He does not do this.  

Last year. With a finger injury.

Was a respected Center in Washinton and is an upgrade over Bodine but I have a feeling we shouldn't rule him out at RG

NYJ-Jets-Header.png

Yet another free agent signing gone awry. Spencer Long was always solid on the interior for the Redskins after he was third-round pick back in 2014. So far in New York, however,  he’s been disastrous. His 14 pressures allowed are more than he gave up in either of the past two seasons, and his 45.5 run-blocking grade doesn’t look much better.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-9

You have to wonder why he dropped off.  Scheme is one reason why. Playing through injury is another. I hope that’s it is one of those and that he’s healthy and a better fit here.

It also happens when players stop using PEDs or just get lazy.  I’m not insinuating it’s either of those, only that they round out the top reasons for a drop off this early in a career.  Here’s hoping we got some help.