Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

6 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I'll be shocked if Paradis doesn't re-sign in Denver.

If said it a few times, but I don't think he is a Munchak type of lineman. Munchak likes his guys to be huge.  Also, I read somewhere that Elway made him a laughable, low ball offer. I'm assuming that the story about Paradis being a selfish, crappy teammate came literally from the horse's mouth as a way to justify letting him go. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Great signing.  He is better than Miller, Groy and Bodine.  Relatively cheap deal and position flexibility.  

Bonus for those who care:  he won't count in the comp draft picks formula :).  

The fact that he is probably better then what we had gets completely missed on folks.....want pro bowlers at every postion

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He was at his best in man schemes under Bill Callahan in Washington. Sure he can play in a zone, but he's no good there. It's why Gase got rid of him and I think Gase is going to go all in on Matt Paradis. 

The worth of this deal.......like most.......is the guarantees.

I have hopes for both Teller and Boettger.......more specifically that at least one of them will become a good starter........ but the reality is that right now Long is a proven option.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed. I would plug him in as the starting right guard right now. Let him play where he is comfortable and where he played in college. Outside of Saffold, Foster, Quinton Spain and maybe AJ Cann, there is not much better on the market at guard. Long is probably similar in value to Cann. Long makes sense because he offers them options and leverage. If they can't sign Morse, then they can chase a guard and leave Long at center. 

He was at his best in man schemes under Bill Callahan in Washington. Sure he can play in a zone, but he's no good there. It's why Gase got rid of him and I think Gase is going to go all in on Matt Paradis. 

At his best he is a nice pulling guard. Very agile and fluid movement. Usually guys with those skill sets fit a zone blocking scheme better. He was introduced as a finesse sort of player. I’m sure he’ll have the same production in either scheme though. And would love Paradis btw but doubt he even hits the market. My 1A option if Paradis isn’t coming to FA is Mitch Morse.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Have you seen what starting guards make? 

He's been a starter pretty much his whole career. We just signed him to a 3 year deal up to 5 mil a season. I don't want him to be the starter either. But as it stands now, he's the 8th highest paid player on the whole team. I can't fathom paying that for a backup Center.

Especially when you see what they were paying Groy and Bodine to be their starter(s) last season. It's more than both of them combined.

But for the sake of argument, let's say he is depth. Do you really see them going out and signing one of the top Centers to a big time FA deal with that contract already on the books? No way they invest that much in to one position.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I disagree.... I think he will compete for Bidine as starting Center.  I don’t expect they’ll draft a Center.  

I could be wrong but you don’t give a 3 year deal to a depth player.  I think the Bills see him as a starter and perhaps think he can regain the form he had in Washington.  Say what you will, but he was regarded as solid during his time in Washington

Ddepends on whether or not year 3 is garuanteed. Groy signed a two year deal, and another two year deal after McD was hired. Yeah, his second contract was only $5 million, but was fully garaunteed. So depending on the language of the contract, it may very well just end up a middle of the road deal. This doesn't mean we don't draft/acquire more bodies at Center, or Guard for that matter

9 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

If the bills offer the same amount of money I’d like our shot, and that’s an “IF”. He’s from a small town in Idaho and I’m not sure he’d like it in jersey as much. Maybe, that’s just me being hopeful. 

Interesting thought. Even we New Jerseyans don't like it in Jersey. ?

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's been a starter pretty much his whole career. We just signed him to a 3 year deal up to 5 mil a season. I don't want him to be the starter either. But as it stands now, he's the 8th highest paid player on the whole team. I can't fathom paying that for a backup Center.

Especially when you see what they were paying Groy and Bodine to be their starter(s) last season. It's more than both of them combined.

But for the sake of argument, let's say he is depth. Do you really see them going out and signing one of the top Centers to a big time FA deal with that contract already on the books? No way they invest that much in to one position.

I said he isnt depth.... I said before even seeing the numbers that he’s Groy replacement but he can start on the interior - but it very well could be at G with the versatility to backup at C. That’s my whole point - it’s a great deal for a starter and I think he will at least start at G.

Edited by YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If said it a few times, but I don't think he is a Munchak type of lineman. Munchak likes his guys to be huge.  Also, I read somewhere that Elway made him a laughable, low ball offer. I'm assuming that the story about Paradis being a selfish, crappy teammate came literally from the horse's mouth as a way to justify letting him go. 

It's funny because Denver's mascot is a horse but also John Elway looks like a horse.

• Like (+1) 3