Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

Everyone is hanging their hats on Paradis. If he leaves the Broncos there are lots of teams that would be interested. The Bills can still sign him and move Long to guard. If the Bills cant land Paradis then they still have The Bills prob will not be bringing back Groy or Miller. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed. I would plug him in as the starting right guard right now. Let him play where he is comfortable and where he played in college. Outside of Saffold, Foster, Quinton Spain and maybe AJ Cann, there is not much better on the market at guard. Long is probably similar in value to Cann. Long makes sense because he offers them options and leverage. If they can't sign Morse, then they can chase a guard and leave Long at center. 

He was at his best in man schemes under Bill Callahan in Washington. Sure he can play in a zone, but he's no good there. It's why Gase got rid of him and I think Gase is going to go all in on Matt Paradis. 

Also makes sense in that he's a 'process' guy:  team captain in college and thought to be super-competitive which is nice on the OL.

• Like (+1) 1

this is a great signing, IMO.  The Bills can get rid of Groy, who looked lost.  We now have a swing backup.  We can still go after one of the top 2 centers in FA, along with drafting and OT or two.   Not bad for a backup center who could start at other parts on the line.  You need depth at center.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Also makes sense in that he's a 'process' guy:  team captain in college and thought to be super-competitive which is nice on the OL.

I think he might have been  a walk on and a pre med guy too. So super smart. Very processey. 

53 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Probably how it will go.  Unless they draft someone then I can see Bodine cut 

If this IS true, the Bills F.O. better start taking the O-line a lot more seriously or they are going to be looking for jobs in another couple years.

3 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Everyone is hanging their hats on Paradis. If he leaves the Broncos there are lots of teams that would be interested. The Bills can still sign him and move Long to guard. If the Bills cant land Paradis then they still have The Bills prob will not be bringing back Groy or Miller. 

Paradis is perfect for Adam Gase. He was drafted for Gase's scheme in Denver, they need a center as much as us. They have more cap than us. I think he's going to be a Jet. I could see Arizona and the Vikings making a huge push. 

I think our guy is Mitch Morse based on no actual proof. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I think you are absolutely correct.  He will be the 2019 version of Groy as the primary backup for center and guard.  The details of the contract will tell us a lot.

I'll bet anything that the contract is front loaded. The Bills have Dawkins, Teller on rookie contracts and whatever big OL FA or FA's they sign. That gives them wiggle room to back load the big contracts and front load Long's. That way Long is off the books when both Teller and Dawkins coming up as FA's

• Like (+1) 1

I see this as more of a depth signing because they knew what they had in Groy or at least what they thought they had because of the coaching at the O line position i think the Rams will pick Groy up now that Kromer is there & he will be a really good player for them .

At the end of the day, we MUST spend a minimum amount of cash in FA per NFL rules I believe.And if we can't entice some of the bigger names/contracts, the money has to be spent. So there's another aspect to consider.....and at this price, and position, I don't think it's beyond a reasonable contract

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, billspro said:

Hmmmm makes me think that we will draft a center in round 2. Seems like a veteran backup C/G. 

Hopefully it is not a competition between him and Bodine for starting C.

I disagree.... I think he will compete for Bidine as starting Center.  I don’t expect they’ll draft a Center.  

I could be wrong but you don’t give a 3 year deal to a depth player.  I think the Bills see him as a starter and perhaps think he can regain the form he had in Washington.  Say what you will, but he was regarded as solid during his time in Washington

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Paradis is perfect for Adam Gase. He was drafted for Gase's scheme in Denver, they need a center as much as us. They have more cap than us. I think he's going to be a Jet. I could see Arizona and the Vikings making a huge push. 

I think our guy is Mitch Morse based on no actual proof. 

If the bills offer the same amount of money I’d like our shot, and that’s an “IF”. He’s from a small town in Idaho and I’m not sure he’d like it in jersey as much. Maybe, that’s just me being hopeful. 

• Like (+1) 1