Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Holy crap! This appears to be an AWFUL signing. What do we need to do, bring in an offensive consultant? Man o man. They gotta do better than this.

Sorry I just asked this question and then I saw this......it sounds like swing OL potential OG starter money to me......

Just for reference.....we did NOT have average OG play last year from the RG position.   I am thinking we match this with a OL in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

He's not good and the fact that Beane just paid him 3 years/13M is awful. YUCK!

Sounds like he was pretty good in Washington actually. Then he had one rough half-season with the Jets before moving back to guard and fairing okay.

Played Right Guard in college by the way which suits us perfectly...

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure
  • Like (+1) 2

Meh.  He's probably the equal of Bodine.  He's a bit younger though.  He'll replace either Bodine or Groy on the roster.  I think the Bills are looking to draft a young center, and Long could start if the youngster needs a little time to acclimate to the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

44 starts in a 53 game career, only ended up a FA due to coaching changes. This will be the end here for Groy. Long and Bodine compete for the starting center gig. 

I feel faint at the thought of such quality going at it..

No doubt Josh will feel the same 

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Holy crap! This appears to be an AWFUL signing. What do we need to do, bring in an offensive consultant? Man o man. They gotta do better than this.

If they are getting the healthy 2017 Spencer Long it's a steal in the current Market...

If they get the guy that struggled through injury with the Jets last year it's a bit too much...?

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Sounds like he was pretty good in Washington actually. Then he had one rough half-season with the Jets playing a new position.

Played Right Guard in college by the way which suits us perfectly...

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is no reason that Long would not start at G immediately as of now, depending on who else is signed and drafted 

Agreed. I would plug him in as the starting right guard right now. Let him play where he is comfortable and where he played in college. Outside of Saffold, Foster, Quinton Spain and maybe AJ Cann, there is not much better on the market at guard. Long is probably similar in value to Cann. Long makes sense because he offers them options and leverage. If they can't sign Morse, then they can chase a guard and leave Long at center. 

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yes he is a zone player lol.

He was at his best in man schemes under Bill Callahan in Washington. Sure he can play in a zone, but he's no good there. It's why Gase got rid of him and I think Gase is going to go all in on Matt Paradis. 

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Meh.  He's probably the equal of Bodine.  He's a bit younger though.  He'll replace either Bodine or Groy on the roster.  I think the Bills are looking to draft a young center, and Long could start if the youngster needs a little time to acclimate to the NFL.

Long is 29 and Bodine is 27.

What?

• Like (+1) 1