Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

here's his combine / draft scouting report from NFL.com

OVERVIEW

Native Nebraskan. Walked on and redshirted in 2009. Did not see action in '10. Stepped into the lineup in '11, starting all 13 games at right guard. Played through a torn right meniscus in '12, starting all 14 games at RG. In '13, started the first six games at RG before tearing his right MCL against Purdue and undergoing season-ending surgery and did not work out at the NFL Scouting Combine because of it (medical exclusion). Elected not to lift at the combine because of an appendectomy. Team captain.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Very solidly built with a good frame. Good leg drive -- can create a push in the run game and position-sustain. Solid in pass protection -- good anchor, shadow and mirror. Good base and balance -- controls and steers defenders. Flashes some nastiness. Intense, competitive battler. Smart and instinctive. Lunchpail worker will do a lot of extras and is very ambitious and driven to succeed. Excellent weight-room strength -- can squat a small house. Good versatility -- has played inside and outside. Very tough and played much of final two seasons through knee injuries. Possessed the biggest hands of any offensive lineman at the combine.

WEAKNESSES

Average athlete. Is tight-ankled and heavy-legged -- lumbers to the second level. Struggled with the quickness of Minnesota's Ra'shede Hageman (though he was noticeably playing through a knee injury that required surgery and forced him to miss the rest of the season after leaving the Minnesota game). Labors to cut off the inside rush. Struggles to adjust and pick off linebackers and is not efficient pulling and trapping.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 3-4

BOTTOM LINE

Big, tough, physical, ornery blocker with starter-quality positional traits and intangible qualities. Is best in a phone booth, where he excels as a run and pass blocker, and is smart and savvy enough to contribute outside in emergency situations.
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

May or may not have anything to do with Paradis or any other Center. They may have signed him to replace Groy and compete for a G position with versatility to back up at C. I agree 3 years says starter more than backup, but that’s not too surprising since he’s always been a starter. 

At 3 years up to 15 mil? I don't think so.

25 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Bills depth on the offensive line is terrible. As it sits right now, the Bills are starting Russell Bodine, Vlad Ducasse, Jeremiah Sirles, Dawkins, and Teller with Ike Boettgger and Conner McDermott as the primary backups. It is straight up pathetic.

My guess is the Bills will try him at Center and if he can't handle it they will use him as a swing Center and Guard backup because they do need some former starting depth as well as starters.

I think you are absolutely correct.  He will be the 2019 version of Groy as the primary backup for center and guard.  The details of the contract will tell us a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

He's the swing IOL who will be offered a chance to compete to start. Not enough money to pencil him in as a starter. He was making 27M on a 4 yr deal with the Jets.

He is our new Groy. Solid in a pinch at G or C. My guess is he'll be competing with a rookie C. There are a few good ones coming out that can be had in rounds 2 and 3.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

He's the swing IOL who will be offered a chance to compete to start. Not enough money to pencil him in as a starter. He was making 27M on a 4 yr deal with the Jets.

I see.  That gives this signing some perspective.  

1 minute ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I think you are absolutely correct.  He will be the 2019 version of Groy as the primary backup for center and guard.  The details of the contract will tell us a lot.

I think Groy was supposed to start at G and backup at C but was never able to solidify that so made him the 6th man

2 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

There is no reason that Long would not start at G immediately as of now, depending on who else is signed and drafted 

• Like (+1) 3