Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3 year deal

One Buffalo

From my buddy who is a Jets fan...

"When the Jets got him, my friend who is a Redskins fan told me I would hate him more and more every week. He wasn't wrong. He was the first guy I wanted cut after the season ended."

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I sure hope it's for depth/competition and that he's not going to be counted on as our for-sure starting center. My understanding is that he did NOT have a good year with the Jets, hence his release.

The three-year deal is a bit telling. They must like him.

Good signing in February, I guess. Like I said, I just hope they don't think "problem solved!" at the center position.

I agree, the 3 year deal is telling. I don’t think they make that signing if they are going to spend big money on a guy like Paradis. That looks more like the type of player you bring in to compete with a rookie. There are some really good C prospects in round 2. Hopefully that is the plan. 

We might not see a huge splash signing and rather filling out the needs with solid players in free agency. 

5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

44 starts in a 53 game career, only ended up a FA due to coaching changes. This will be the end here for Groy. Long and Bodine compete for the starting center gig. 

F/A hasn't even started, draft is two months away, offseason trades may occur, and you already have the center competition down to two players?

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills depth on the offensive line is terrible. As it sits right now, the Bills are starting Russell Bodine, Vlad Ducasse, Jeremiah Sirles, Dawkins, and Teller with Ike Boettgger and Conner McDermott as the primary backups. It is straight up pathetic.

My guess is the Bills will try him at Center and if he can't handle it they will use him as a swing Center and Guard backup because they do need some former starting depth as well as starters.

• Like (+1) 3

In my opinion he is a guard. Trying to make him a center hurt him, and he played better when the Jets played him at guard. I would have no issue with him being our starting right guard. Sign Morse and Daryl Williams. 

I will say this, Long is not a zone player, so I hope that this means we are going to more of a power run attack. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

He was hurt for much of last year. I hope that he is here to fill the Groy role. Let him be the depth guy on the interior.

That was my thought too - They aren’t re-signing Groy and Long has similar versatility in the interior, but with more experience. 

1 minute ago, One Buffalo said:

From what I am reading from his time with Redskins, looks like he was better at G than C.  Maybe they will put him back at G?  

He and Dawkins as our guards, then upgrade the other 3 spots. It would be a high talent/high priced oline, but a weakness would become a strength in one offseason if we can find some tackles.

I started a thread about this being a possibility a week ago and my thread got closed. I was sad because though I personally knew little about him I figured the Bills might pursue him strictly on the basis of his exp and being healthy now. But hey their signing of him validates my thoughts so that's good I guess. I think he was a cap casualty in the Jets and his poor play had to do with a broken finger so he couldn't really snap the ball In a shotgun position. I'd like to see the salary or contract numbers to see if the bills are considering him a starter or a backup roll.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2