10 years ago today

\GoBillsInDallas/

17 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Freezing rain and they were allowed to take off? I'll have to read more about this....

It was a non-issue, turns out.

The issue was an overtired, non-qualified duo up front that set the autopilot incorrectly, then went against the controls as the plane tried to fix the issue automatically. They also broke the law in violating the "sterile cockpit" rule by talking about non-flight-related topics below 10,000 feet. 

15 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

It was a non-issue, turns out.

The issue was an overtired, non-qualified duo up front that set the autopilot incorrectly, then went against the controls as the plane tried to fix the issue automatically. They also broke the law in violating the "sterile cockpit" rule by talking about non-flight-related topics below 10,000 feet. 

Yeah, the more I read the more it sounded like a training issue.

They concluded that fatigue wasn't part of the probable cause, but it sounds like one of the chairman was trying to push that for political reasons.

With icing conditions in the forecast, the pilots should've never been on autopilot. Then they were not prooperly prepared for the trouble that came.

Sad story.

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The crash site is about 10 minutes from my house.  The sad thing is that the whole incident was completely avoidable.  

About the same distance from my place of work at Main and Transit, and from my folks’ home in Lancaster.

Terrible, unnecessary tragedy - I’m surprised that only that one guy on the ground got killed.