Looking Back I wish we traded for Mack

BillsFan1988

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would the Raiders care if Mack was on the Bills?  How would that hurt them?

Mack would not have made the Browns a SB this year.  Bears are better overall and they were not a serious contender this past season, it turns out.

It was about the conference as a whole, not specific teams. Same thing was reported with Amari Cooper. Don’t know why other than could be a Gruden thing. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Bears paid too much and have created a cap scenario that will force them to release some talent.  Mack is a great player but missed some playing time with an injury and the Bears defense was still awesome without him.  It begs the question, did they really need to spend the money to get him?  Sports reporters jumped all over the trade because it was a great story and it may prove to be if they can win a championship.  I have my doubts

The Bills have so many holes to fill, that it would be difficult to allocate the money and the draft picks to obtain him.  I guess the Darius contract has made me cynical.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would the Raiders care if Mack was on the Bills?  How would that hurt them?

Mack would not have made the Browns a SB this year.  Bears are better overall and they were not a serious contender this past season, it turns out.

Mack on the Browns this past year is definitely a playoff team. Mack on the Browns this year with an improved Baker, better coaching staff would be Super Bowl contenders this year. 

5 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Mack on the Browns this past year is definitely a playoff team. Mack on the Browns this year with an improved Baker, better coaching staff would be Super Bowl contenders this year. 

Just to get into the playoffs (forget being a "SB contender") Browns would have had to beat out, at least, the Steelers and the Texans.  Having Mack on that team would not have resulted in all those extra wins they needed. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Just to get into the playoffs (forget being a "SB contender") Browns would have had to beat out, at least, the Steelers and the Texans.  Having Mack on that team would not have resulted in all those extra wins they needed. 

The reason the Browns didnt' make the playoffs was because Hue Jackson and not starting Baker Mayfield on Day 1.

1 minute ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

The reason the Browns didnt' make the playoffs was because Hue Jackson and not starting Baker Mayfield on Day 1.

Nah.  Mayfield had a great year, no doubt.  But they went 6-7 in his 13 starts.  7-7 overall in games he played in. 

25 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

We should have drafted him, end of story. Gronk too. Homegrown elite talent does not come around here often. That's 0-2.  If the Sabres get Kane someday, at least that part will be forgiven.

I wouldn’t really call Mack ‘home grown’ talent.  He grew up in Florida.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nah.  Mayfield had a great year, no doubt.  But they went 6-7 in his 13 starts.  7-7 overall in games he played in. 

That's pretty remarkable considering he was saddled with the worst HC of all time for a majority of that.

Tied the Steelers
Lost to the Saints by 3
Lost to the Raiders by 3
Lost to the Bucs by 3
Lost to the Ravens by 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Most of these interior players don't even have 10 career sacks in college.  The outside guys there stats are nothing special.  I just don't see special players Polite not special, Ferrell & Sweat i would stay away from these prospects.

So first you were arguing they don't have the production and now you are arguing your eye test suggests they are nothing special. Which is it?

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yes because it is more important for us to upgrade our struggling D than our solid Oline and deep WR group.?

Elite pass rusher >>>> oline and receiver.  Those groups can be very easily found in the draft.  The Steeelrs rarely ever draft receiver high (I think JuJu, who we passed on, might be their highest drafted Wr in a long time) but they always can find guys.  

In in terms of nfl team construction, the hardest positions to find are qb, pass rusher, and cb.  The rest of the positions can fall into place after you have those other pieces. Mack wrecks teams by himself and he loves Buffalo.  I would have definitely given up the 9th this year and hopefully something like the 20th (fingers crossed) or so next year.  Honestly, it’s pretty much a no brainer.

9 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I wouldn’t really call Mack ‘home grown’ talent.  He grew up in Florida.  

True but he became the player he is at UB.  The only reason a guy from Florida ends up at UB is because he wasn’t that great in high school.

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

2-5-1 under Jackson. 5-3 under Williams. 

It’s not unrealistic at all for somebody to argue that Jackson’s coaching and sitting of mayfield is a primary reason they weren’t in the playoffs. 

Not sayinf they were some sort of shoe in. But it’s debatable they could have at least made it for sure. 

31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Elite pass rusher >>>> oline and receiver.  Those groups can be very easily found in the draft.  The Steeelrs rarely ever draft receiver high (I think JuJu, who we passed on, might be their highest drafted Wr in a long time) but they always can find guys.  

In in terms of nfl team construction, the hardest positions to find are qb, pass rusher, and cb.  The rest of the positions can fall into place after you have those other pieces. Mack wrecks teams by himself and he loves Buffalo.  I would have definitely given up the 9th this year and hopefully something like the 20th (fingers crossed) or so next year.  Honestly, it’s pretty much a no brainer.

True but he became the player he is at UB.  The only reason a guy from Florida ends up at UB is because he wasn’t that great in high school.

Who had more pressures last season Hughes or Mack.  I would gladly spend the ninth overall pick on a pass rusher.  Just not the 9th next years first and a big salary, when we have so many holes to fill on the side of the ball that needs attention.  As to your other take on Oline you must be correct because everyone in the NFL has a great line correct.  

There is actually a shortage of Oline in the NFL at the moment.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

12 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Who had more pressures last season Hughes or Mack.  I would gladly spend the ninth overall pick on a pass rusher.  Just not the 9th next years first and a big salary, when we have so many holes to fill on the side of the ball that needs attention.  As to your other take on Oline you must be correct because everyone in the NFL has a great line correct.  

There is actually a shortage of Oline in the NFL at the moment.

You enjoy your pressures.  I’ll take the guy who is in the discussion for DPOY every year he is healthy.  So would every non Bills fans.  

Mack is a great player and would have helped the pass rush.  No doubt.  Even though the Bills apparently tried to get Mack, the Bills roster was lacking in many areas to make the move at that time imo.  The bills still need 1 or 2 young affordable playmakers on defense, DE/OLB.

4 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

When u have a great player like this that wants to be in Buffalo wants to play for Buffalo and all it takes was 2 first rd pks and some cap space . Man we made a huge mistake not trading for Khalil .  Now we might spend this first on a DE that can't even play in the NFL. This class of DE's especially the ones projected to be on the board at #9 is not very good in my opinion. 

Just to think our defense finished #2 in the NFL but we only had 26 sacks on the season. Had we made that trade I think we had 50sks on the season and probably would of won 9 if not 10gms last yr. 

I realize Beane wants to build threw the draft but trading for Mack could of opened many doors for us especially in free agency.  I really believe players would look at the Bills as a prime destination.  We still would probably have close to 70mil to fill the holes. I'm pretty sure the Bills kicked the tires on Mack but weren't ready to pay the draft compensation required by the Raiders.

Looking back man I wish we traded for Mack.

In the illustrious words of the late Gord Downie, no one's interested in something you didn't do. Really? A huge mistake?

4 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills tried to trade for Mack. The Raiders wanted to trade him out of conference. 

We did? 

edit: Ah you provided a link too later in the thread. You are the best!

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The Raiders are going to end up in great shape. Instead of winning 1 or 2 more games (maybe) now they are loaded with firsts. 

But, if true, they would be in even better shape if they had accepted the Jets offer. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

One thing the OP has forgotten: At the time of the trade from Oakland to Chicago, the Bills were thinking they could have one of the worst teams in the NFL, while the Bears were thinking they could be a playoff contender with Mack.  What that means is the Bears believed they'd be offering the Raiders lower 1st round picks.  The Bills, on the other hand had serious deficiencies on offense & couldn't afford to risk what could be a top 5 pick, maybe even the #1 pick this year & another 1st rounder next year to get Mack.  As it turned out the Bears were who they thought they were & ended up in the playoffs, the Bills actually overachieved to get 6 wins and the 9th pick.  If the Bills had ended up with a top 5 pick or the top pick they would have been in a great spot to trade down for some serious picks, at 9 not so much.  So now the risk doesn't appear to be as severe, but at the time of the trade, the idea of giving up this year's #1 was viewed as too much for any one player who would do nothing to fill the serious voids on offense.  

• Like (+1) 1