Kipers predictions for last year Round 1

18 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes he is an entertainer like Skip Bayless or Stephen A. Smith...not a guy with a track record of accuracy.  If you find entertainment value in him, great, thats his job.  If you look to him for more accurate projections and insight, he's not very good at that compared to others even though he has a god complex about his own opinions like Stephen A. Smith.  

And you dont have to tell me the bolded, I proclaim that all the time.  GMs are wrong more than they are right...thats because its impossible to accurately predict the future at a high rate of success.  However, Kiper is no where near the realm of accuracy of successful GM's, yet he blasts them and blasts them hard when they pick a player Kiper doesn't agree with despite the fact those GM's know a massive amount more than Kiper does about Football, player projections and the players themselves.  Kiper has to review the entire college football program...GMs and Scouts spend substantial amounts of more time analyzing specific players they believe will specifically fit into that teams plans, schemes, and philosophy.  So they have a lot more insight when they pick a specific player than Kiper.

So once again, the reason Kiper gets so much flack is that he projects this god complex about his opinion over those who are paid a lot of money to know more than him about football, the draft, and the players.  He never accepts any accountability for how wrong he is so frequently, never apologizes to any teams he blasted that prove their pick was the right choice over his.  He just keeps going like he's never been wrong.  

Kipers only value is to help casual fans know some names they wouldnt really know if not for people like him.  However, there are more likable and more accurate sources for the same information out there.  Just like sports show hosts Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith...they are entertainment value for those who find their schtick entertaining...but if you want more accurate assessments, more grounded opinions (not rooted in click bait antics), and a deeper discussion of sports there are better choices out there than those two buffoons.  

In today's ESPN quick hit society ... please share your other sources for us "casual fans" who actually appreciate Mel and what he does.  You say above he is not a guy with a track record of accuracy.  He hit 8 of the top 10 picks last year (granted not by right team) .. the drop outs were Rosen and Edmunds.  You may not like his personality, but you have to respect the niche he created.

11 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

And what's even worse is predicting teams records before FA and the draft take place.

How many people really think the Bills will go 5-11 or 6-10 next this year when they have a full set of picks and 80 million in savings to spend on new talent this spring/summer?

Here at TBD ...  I'd say at least half a dozen.   

8 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

But...but...we have the AAF to watch.

Kidding,of course.

****er ...  I thought you were Gugny for a sec.   

well a few minutes.    

I look at the Avatars and not the name 90% of the time 

On 2/12/2019 at 12:50 AM, Da webster guy said:

Well, he got ONE out of 32 correct (saquon to the Gmen)

Interesting that he had Josh going first to the Browns and Tremaine going to daBears at 8.

I posted this because I forgot how ridiculously off the mark every mock is, every year without fail.   I think the only time I ever guessed right on the Bills was Dareus, and a lot of people saw that happening.

Kiper may be a blowhard, but he's well connected and he has a 97% fail rate. 

Right in the meaty part of the curve....

https://www.espnsa.com/2018-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-mel-kipers-picks-1-32/

It’s why I think mock drafts are a tremendous waste of time. Even those “in the know” don’t really know jack. You might as well just try to predict the order of a deck of cards. 

Don't get me started on the horrid track record of all of these draft experts.  I've said it before -- I can think of no other avocation besides "TV weatherman" for which there is less accountability for incorrect predictions.

It's why I pay absolutely NO attention to mock drafts.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

In today's ESPN quick hit society ... please share your other sources for us "casual fans" who actually appreciate Mel and what he does.  You say above he is not a guy with a track record of accuracy.  He hit 8 of the top 10 picks last year (granted not by right team) .. the drop outs were Rosen and Edmunds.  You may not like his personality, but you have to respect the niche he created.

One, my "casual fan" statement is not an insult to people who like him, I myself am also a casual fan of College Football where I won't know every prospect from every school.

Two, its ok to appreciate what Mel does, just like its ok for me to not like him. I have friends who enjoy Stephen A. Smith while myself and plenty others cant stand him.  People dont have to take it so personal that others dislike the guy.  He is a putz in my book, thats just my opinion.  

Three, why does everyone keep talking about the top 10?  I mean who cares, everyone gets most of the top 10 right in terms of what players are chosen.  Thats NOT a hard thing to do, there is ALWAYS a clear picture of who the most likely first 10 players are going to be.  Its not like someone projected to go 25th suddenly gets taken 3rd overall very often unless you are the Raiders drafting.  

This "top ten picks" keeps getting bought up as some kind of "validation" of Kiper, yet I beat him last year as a casual fan as I had 9 of the 10 players right.  The only person I had in top 10 that didn't go was Minkah and he went 11th, the guy I had not mocked top 10 was McGlitchey even though I had him top 15.  So I guess that makes me better than Kiper.  So no disrespect, but I could care less if he got 8 out of 10 right, just about everyone did the same thing or better.  Kiper also got most the teams wrong in the top 10, I beat him there too decisively...and I am no one special nor am I paid to do this for a living.  

I would like to see  the following, which would be a good way to evaluate the evaluators.   My assumption  is that teams may have special needs, but that mainly best player available is going to be  at lest twice as important and will win out.  Thye should be smart enought to know if say DE are good or really need this year and adjust accordingly.      [1]  Make a list of draft-experts order of players selected.. [2] make a list of players selected in what order. [3] Compare the two.   [4]  score how successful they were and grade them on various methods.  For example:   #1  correct draft slot = 5 points,,,,,,,,, +/- 1 gives 4 points, ,,,,,,+/- 3 gives 2 points..............etc.   You can try different statistic smoothing function=  #n boxcar, triangular, linear etc. to grade how much a "miss' is counted. (background in statistical process control- sorry, but I'm retired now).     Maybe I'll try some analysis and write up after the next draft.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

One, my "casual fan" statement is not an insult to people who like him, I myself am also a casual fan of College Football where I won't know every prospect from every school.

Two, its ok to appreciate what Mel does, just like its ok for me to not like him. I have friends who enjoy Stephen A. Smith while myself and plenty others cant stand him.  People dont have to take it so personal that others dislike the guy.  He is a putz in my book, thats just my opinion.  

Three, why does everyone keep talking about the top 10?  I mean who cares, everyone gets most of the top 10 right in terms of what players are chosen.  Thats NOT a hard thing to do, there is ALWAYS a clear picture of who the most likely first 10 players are going to be.  Its not like someone projected to go 25th suddenly gets taken 3rd overall very often unless you are the Raiders drafting.  

This "top ten picks" keeps getting bought up as some kind of "validation" of Kiper, yet I beat him last year as a casual fan as I had 9 of the 10 players right.  The only person I had in top 10 that didn't go was Minkah and he went 11th, the guy I had not mocked top 10 was McGlitchey even though I had him top 15.  So I guess that makes me better than Kiper.  So no disrespect, but I could care less if he got 8 out of 10 right, just about everyone did the same thing or better.  Kiper also got most the teams wrong in the top 10, I beat him there too decisively...and I am no one special nor am I paid to do this for a living.  

TRUE  how many times do we see a 3rd round pick being the start 3 years down the road.  ?  If I had more time, I would figure out what round the all pro teams were drafted.

• Like (+1) 1

Rating mock drafts based on if they accurately predict correct player to correct team is the wrong way to look at it. That's damn near impossible. Especially outside of the top 5 picks. And even the top five picks can get screwy as we often see. The way to judge a mock is how many players they correctly projected in the first round. And the order in which each player is taken at a specific position. If you have one player being the first taken at his position but he ends up being taken 5th in reality that will drag your Mock down. That's the way I look at it at least.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Since you're a self proclaimed casual fan .. and you beat Mel head to head .. still waiting to hear the other resources you referenced in your post that you use for your pre draft intel as its obviously good given your draft picking acumen.