Rookie Grades series at NFL.com

GreggTX

The main focus of the article seems to be the draft picks of AFC East teams, but the omission of Levi Wallace is still pretty glaring.  As far as Josh Allen is concerned, I can't really disagree with what he said.  From the skeptic's perspective, he has much to prove and needs a lot of work in his passing.  As a fan, what I see is a QB who was not even expected to start, who came in and was on an accelerated learning curve.  He was a far better QB in December than he was in September, and he possessed essential traits that suggest the learning curve is likely to continue through next season and beyond.  It is not unreasonable to hope that eventually he's going to be really good.  In particular, in comparison with Sam Darnold, Josh Allen seems to be far more of a natural leader, to go with his superior athletic ability.

• Like (+1) 1

I will say that Bills fan's opinion of Josh Allen seems to have been steadily growing since the regular season ended. He went from a promising rookie with great running ability but a lot to work on in the passing game, to practically a sure-fire franchise QB.

I think fans might be a little disappointed to see a Josh Allen that still needs development, still makes mistakes, still misses some throws, etc. when next season starts. And I foresee a lot of fans scratching their heads and wondering if they were wrong about him.

I think the truth is he is a promising QB with a lot of upside but a lot to work on. He won't be anywhere near a finished product by next season.

That said, yes it was a lazy article that didn't do justice to the promising rookie class of the Bills 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

the Jets should be thrilled with Darnold, he looks great and I have no doubt he'll be a star.    I think Allen will turn out to be a very good QB as well, but right now , Darnold is ahead, but not by much.

At this point I would agree. Darnold turned it on late but had struggled alot up to that point. For Allen to be in the same ballpark is more impressive as he was expected to be behind the other QBs and was extremely raw coming out of college.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I don't get too worked up over this stuff.  Its hard to track every player in the league, much less a below 500 team's undrafted rookies, even if they provided significant contributions.  

yeah - it's hard to do one's job I guess ?

15 hours ago, klos63 said:

the Jets should be thrilled with Darnold, he looks great and I have no doubt he'll be a star.    I think Allen will turn out to be a very good QB as well, but right now , Darnold is ahead, but not by much.

I'd also have Darnold ranked above but only by a pinch - I just give him the edge as a passer and that is why he shades it for #2 rookie QB behind Mayfield for me. But to be honest if you are going to say the Jets are thrilled with Darnold you should probably have a similar view of how the Bills feel about Allen. I think the Bills are legitimately thrilled with him.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

yeah - it's hard to do one's job I guess ?

His job is to cover the NFL generally.  I suspect that no one outside of the Bills' fanbase cares about our overachieving un-drafted rookie corner.  He is catering to the NFL audience as a whole.  He did that just fine here, with or without a few severely minor missing pieces.  

It doesn’t matter to me if Darnold is considered by the national media to be the Boy Wonder QB of the NFL.  I don’t suppose Allen pays any attention to the national media’s wishful, wanderlust opinions. He’s had to deal with the second guessing ever since Wyoming.  What else is new.

19 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I don't get too worked up over this stuff.  Its hard to track every player in the league, much less a below 500 team's undrafted rookies, even if they provided significant contributions.  

I get that... However, when you are doing a specific article on the AFC East, and AFC East only teams, that article is only requiring you to look at 35ish players, you should do your freaking home work on those 35 or so players.  Not the 500+ in the entire league.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd also have Darnold ranked above but only by a pinch - I just give him the edge as a passer and that is why he shades it for #2 rookie QB behind Mayfield for me. But to be honest if you are going to say the Jets are thrilled with Darnold you should probably have a similar view of how the Bills feel about Allen. I think the Bills are legitimately thrilled with him.

I agree,  I think the Bills are thrilled with Allen, as am I.

After an extensive investigation, it turns out that sports beat writer, Nick Shook, had done all of his research on not the Buffalo Bills, but on Mr. Bill's Bowling Lanes, a defunct bowling alley in Columbus, Ohio. When confronted about leaving Levi Wallace out of his report, Shook was quick to remark: "That twerp couldn't break 150 if his life depended on it." 

20190212_150020.jpg

On 2/11/2019 at 3:30 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Links are your friend.

Why would he privide a link to an article he says people shouldnt bother reading.

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think we should keep real life politics out of the forums is what I think.

I usually end up getting warning points when they come in.

On 2/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

His job is to cover the NFL generally.  I suspect that no one outside of the Bills' fanbase cares about our overachieving un-drafted rookie corner.  He is catering to the NFL audience as a whole.  He did that just fine here, with or without a few severely minor missing pieces.  

Well another national media guy found time to have Wallace drafted in the first in a mock redraft.