Plastic grocery bags -> Sleeping mats for homeless

Hapless Bills Fan

34 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Anyone else paying for their plastic bags yet? Last year they started charging us a nickel a bag. First time I came across the bag charge was in San Fran a few years ago, not sure how widespread it's become.

The ghetto stores (Price Rite, Aldi) sell large, reusable plastic bags for 10 cents/each.

Regular bags at regular grocery stores?  No.

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The ghetto stores (Price Rite, Aldi) sell large, reusable plastic bags for 10 cents/each.

Regular bags at regular grocery stores?  No.

County law since the beginning of last year. I don't think the neighboring county is doing it yet. Pretty much all stores too.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:56 PM, Seasons1992 said:

Yep, same here. Don't know why those moon boots weren't waterproof but they weren't.

I dont think the moon has puddles of water or snow so waterproofing them is a waste of time....

On 2/11/2019 at 3:57 PM, Cripple Creek said:

so we should weave outfits using the bags, good call

Not a bad idea

But would the store name on the bag be the brand name? Would only the elite homeless get to wear Trader Joe or Whole Foods? Those bags would be the trendy reusable ones so they would be of higher quality.......

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Anyone else paying for their plastic bags yet? Last year they started charging us a nickel a bag. First time I came across the bag charge was in San Fran a few years ago, not sure how widespread it's become.

They have been doing it up here in Southern Ontario for years. 

On 2/11/2019 at 11:01 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know how I feel about this.

On the one hand, I think it's cool someone is trying to do something useful with those ubiquitous plastic bags.  On the other hand, having spent nights of my young life sleeping on thin closed-cell foam mats while backpacking, I can say 1/4" or even 3/8" thick is neither very warm nor very comfortable and less so if they compress under body weight.  Maybe 4 of the mats stacked up might amount to something.

It sort of seems like an effort designed more to make the people crocheting feel good than to actually benefit homeless folks.  OTOH, I'm not out there helping the homeless myself, so who am I to criticize someone who is trying to help.

Discuss.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/02/10/plastic-bags-multiplying-like-bunnies-in-your-closet-heres-something-you-can-do-with-them/?utm_medium=more_stories

So without reading the article they want homeless to be like children and "accidentally" put them in their mouth or on their head.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Suffolk county on Long Island is now charging for the bags, its a pain, but after seeing them in the trees, the water, clogging up drains, I really don't complain about it. I wish there was a way to recycle them along with other annoying plastics into something useful. (Do we have any chemical engineers here who could figure out a way to compress/heat and mold large quantities of this stuff into decking, guardrails or planking?)

2 hours ago, Guffalo said:

Suffolk county on Long Island is now charging for the bags, its a pain, but after seeing them in the trees, the water, clogging up drains, I really don't complain about it. I wish there was a way to recycle them along with other annoying plastics into something useful. (Do we have any chemical engineers here who could figure out a way to compress/heat and mold large quantities of this stuff into decking, guardrails or planking?)

I'm in Suffolk too. Took a while to remember to bring the re-usable bags to the grocery store, but not really a big deal. Until the chemical engineers come up with a better solution I think it's a worthwhile attempt to reduce plastics.