Interesting And Sad Coaching Tidbit

corta765

9 hours ago, dlonce said:

Ralph Wilson didn’t believe much in paying coaches, therefore he selected cheaper, less seasoned men.

We have a different regime, so throw history out of the window.

To be fair, one may argue Jauron was the more seasoned coach 

For most of my Bills fandom, I've found myself wondering why the hell we hired the guy we hired & why we kept him around for so long.  I was happy to see them pull the plug on Rex as quickly as they did, though hiring him in the first place was beyond idiotic.

If Allen is a bust in 2019, both Beane and McDermott will be gone.  If Allen continues to get better even a non-playoff year will get both of them another year.  The salary cap was a self-made crisis by Beane.  McDermott has yet to prove he can be a great gameday coach.  His team has been blown out of games with a fair degree of regularity.  The team was a league leader in penalties for most of the year.  But none of that matters if Allen proves he is a franchise QB.

In the vein of the topic, also sad is this little gem from Peter King this morning—since 2000, the Pats have of course had one HC. The rest of the AFC E has cycled through 26. Something’s gotta give here people! 

The blurb is under “Factoidness”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/10/julian-edelman-patriots-mvp-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

I think the biggest problem with this organization over the past 25 years has been the front office.

The inability to find and develop talent within the coaching staff, and players.

There have been several questionable decisions about head coaches, and their staff.

Sometimes it's hard to know if the draft choices were as bad as they were, or we just never had

a competent coaching staff that could develop players, the way NE and Pitt do.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, IgotBILLStopay said:

Still feel Son of  Bum (Wade Phillips) should have coached here longer - liked him a lot.

I agree, if Wilson would have kept his nose out of things he might have,  in fairness though he never excelled as a head coach in any of other opportunities.

17 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If Allen is a bust in 2019, both Beane and McDermott will be gone.  If Allen continues to get better even a non-playoff year will get both of them another year.  The salary cap was a self-made crisis by Beane.  McDermott has yet to prove he can be a great gameday coach.  His team has been blown out of games with a fair degree of regularity.  The team was a league leader in penalties for most of the year.  But none of that matters if Allen proves he is a franchise QB.

If Allen is a bust McD is not going to be fired. In fact it would take a season 4-12 or worse for that to be possible. The Pegula's want some stability and firing coaches constantly does not provide that. McD breaking the drought is a pretty sizable thing for his resume that will buy him a minimum of 4 years. Based off your comments on McD you don't seem to be a fan of the hire from day one so I will not go down that path with you. I am willing to give him 4 years to get his program him for better or worse unless they flat line this season. I am tired of recycling coaches every 2-3 years I want a guy to get his shot regardless of my view on what he does.

13 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

I think the biggest problem with this organization over the past 25 years has been the front office.

The inability to find and develop talent within the coaching staff, and players.

There have been several questionable decisions about head coaches, and their staff.

Sometimes it's hard to know if the draft choices were as bad as they were, or we just never had

a competent coaching staff that could develop players, the way NE and Pitt do.

Part of players flaming out and drafts not working is having a constant rotation of coaches where players do not fit scheme. This decade we went from Chans players to Marrone players to Rexs players to McD's players all in about a 6 year period. That many scheme changes makes you bleed players like there is no tomorrow.