Interesting And Sad Coaching Tidbit

corta765

I was thinking about this on the way to work. Outside of the Bills crashing to the bottom of the NFL this year Sean McDermott should be the head coach for at least four years for the Buffalo Bills. That got me wondering how many Bills coaches have made it four years or more. Well its a short list:

Dick Jauron 2006 to 2009: 4 seasons fired mid way into his last and the only one of the four to not ever make the playoffs

Marv Levy: 1986 to 1997

Chuck Knox: 1978-1982

Lou Saban: 1972- 1976 and 1962-1965

That is it. The plus side is other then Jauron any coach who has went at least four seasons made the playoffs two times and had a decent record of success relatively speaking. Historically that does bode well for McDermott.

Only five coaches excluding the ones above and not including McDermott made it three seasons: Joe Collier 1966-68, Kay Stephenson 1983-1985, Wade Phillips 1998-2000, Greg Williams 2001-2003, and Chan Gailey 2010-2012.

Edited by corta765

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I was thinking about this on the way to work. Outside of the Bills crashing to the bottom of the NFL this year Sean McDermott should be the head coach for at least four years for the Buffalo Bills. That got me wondering how many Bills coaches have made it four years or more. Well its a short list:

Dick Jauron 2006 to 2009: 4 seasons fired mid way into his last and the only one of the four to not ever make the playoffs

That is it. The plus side is other then Jauron any coach who has went at least four seasons made the playoffs two times and had a decent record of success relatively speaking. Historically that does bold well for McDermott.

Only five coaches excluding the ones above and not including McDermott made it three seasons: Joe Collier 1966-68, Kay Stephenson 1983-1985, Wade Phillips 1998-2000, Greg Williams 2001-2003, and Chan Gailey 2010-2012.

Still feel Son of  Bum (Wade Phillips) should have coached here longer - liked him a lot.

• Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Still feel Son of  Bum (Wade Phillips) should have coached here longer - liked him a lot.

I like him as well, but he has admitted in retrospect that he just isn't a very good head coach.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, eball said:

I like him as well, but he has admitted in retrospect that he just isn't a very good head coach.

While that may be the case, everything’s relative. He’s a better defensive coordinator than a head coach, but he was a better head coach than 90% of the mostly sorry lot that has coached the Bills throughout their existence.  :unsure:

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, eball said:

He struggled with offensive strategy and personnel. Just needed to hire someone who could "own" that and feel comfortable delegating that area.

Maybe he struggles with that - have no idea.

Wade is a bit hard on himself and never was one to sling mud around when trying to meet the expectations of some hard to please and at times meddlesome owners he has worked under.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

That is it. The plus side is other then Jauron any coach who has went at least four seasons made the playoffs two times and had a decent record of success relatively speaking. Historically that does bode well for McDermott.

Is it just starting to sink in that we have been an irrelevant mediocrity of a franchise for almost our entire existence?

I'd determine coaching sadness in a franchise as how many coaches you've had for X amount of years. So having Marv Levy for as long makes us less sad than many other franchises.

Not sure if making it to 4 seasons bodes well for McD in a vacuum. Would have sucked with Rex (I'm not trying to say they're the same whatsoever just an example).

If he earns is 4th year next year then we simply hired a good coach. If he Juaron's his way to marginal improvement by year 3 and stagnation then it's more wasted seasons. 

I think he was all but guaranteed 4 years when we got him and Beane on a rebuild singing the process tune. It's great to have a plan starting out.. something we should continue to strive for going forward if god forbid we have to get another coach (and plans don't always = rebuild, McVay & co had a plan). But the plan should unequivocally show us if he's got the chops to stay onboard by years 3 or 4 (I personally don't think 3 is unreasonable to make a sober evaluation).

Just like JA, Tremaine Edmunds, McD himself was a new rookie head coach that has made some serious errors in judgement while showing strong leadership qualities and a great defensive mind and defensive back player evaluation.. and ostensibly showing he's learning from some of his mistakes. So, like JA, if McD is better by the year I'm alright. We should have all coaches not named Rex Ryan get at least 3 years, McD has certainly earned year 3, but this is a very important year for him. I'm at the point of evaluating him on a year to year basis if I'm want him back the next. He definitely fielded a scary bad team first half of the season and I need to see us start out and finish as strong as we're capable of being. Coaching a team for 4 years doesn't make you great. But at least it gives you a chance to be great.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dlonce said:

Ralph Wilson didn’t believe much in paying coaches, therefore he selected cheaper, less seasoned men.

We have a different regime, so throw history out of the window.

That's what I was thinking since at no time in Bills history has the team ever been able to entice the hot young assistant who is looking for his 1st head coaching job.  If they wanted one Ralph was looking to lowball him.  All 4 of the longest tenured HCs all coached in the league prior to their time in Buffalo.  Knox was the only one who wasn't fired elsewhere.  

3 years has seemed to have become the standard length a coach lasts without making the playoffs.  Though do think after three years if there's obvious improvement, buys them an extra year.  Barring a return this coming season to like 2 or 3 win season. McDermott making the playoffs in his first season likely buys him a 4th year.  I also think Pegula strikes me as wanting to be a patient person, even though he got rid of Ryan quickly with good reason.

In the case of Williams and Galley, seemed after three years things had got worse not better too.  Also in Galley's case, wasn't he hired by Marv but he was gone by the time he was fired?

Don't see Fred Smerles favorite coach listed Hank Bullouh (sp)  If Fred had ever been inducted into the HOF, I'm sure Hank would have been his presenter.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Is it just starting to sink in that we have been an irrelevant mediocrity of a franchise for almost our entire existence?

Well that is a matter of perspective and two decades of irrelevance. Up until the drought Buffalo was a relatively respected market with the 60s being good, 70s not great but OJ was a star, 80s good early-rough middle-great late, and 90s great throughout. The problem with the Bills with Ralph was his willingness to be cheap in the weirdest ways and times such as not keeping Chuck Knox despite Knox fulfilling exactly what he promised but then in the mid 2000s spending a boat load of money of OL FA's like Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker.

If the Minnesota Vikings are the definition of a model franchise who has done everything but win the big one, Buffalo is like the bizzaro world version inverted where they walked into success not necessarily intentionally with some really strange moves along the way.

10 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

it is sad, all we can do is hope mcdermott works out.

also, the word you are looking for is "bode".

The autocorrect on here is nuts lately. I get "corrected" to different words a couple of times every post, it seems.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Yes and all he needed to do was compromise on Ronnie Jones. He should have told Ralph he would find a new special teams coordinator and "promote" Ronnie to an offense or defense assistant role.