What do you want to see this offseason: TRADES

YoloinOhio

On 2/13/2019 at 8:25 PM, Aussie Joe said:

I would like to see Beane make a play for Mohamed Sanu...

I think he is still playing well, will just have turned 30 when the season starts, and would be a good leader for the other young guys on the team ( including hopefully a highly drafted prospect this year)..

His contract still has two years left at a very reasonable $6M per year which will probably be about half what Golden Tate ends up with..

I think a 5th would get it done...

Probably unlikely that Atlanta lets him go, but I think its more of a possibility then them letting Julio go...

Actually it is very likely Atlanta lets Sanu go. They are tight to the cap and have Ridley and Julio. 

On 2/15/2019 at 4:08 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

For some teams 10 draft picks would be a lot but the way this roster is structured they could easily find yobs on the 53 man for that many.

Wouldn't be surprised if a dozen rookies made the final 53  man roster next year..........going 0 for 8 in UFA last winter.......with only 1 guaranteed a roster spot......the virtually un-cuttable Star Lotulelei........ left a lot of opportunities.

Again, just because you keep saying it doesn't make it so...and some context is usually appropriate.  But I know that's not your strong suit.  Ivory wasn't a miss.  Star wasn't a miss.  And surprise, surprise, the bargain-basement shopping Beane had to do otherwise didn't yield great results.

I'd like to see what Beane can do now that the credit card bill has been paid off.  Yes, there are a lot of opportunities -- I expect a number of them to be filled by free agents.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, RochesterRob said:

Buffalo's leverage diminished greatly with the pending Flacco to Denver trade.

I'm not so certain that pick 9 was a hot spot for a QB anyway. There will probably be only 2 in the top 10. Haskins and Murray and they may go before pick 9. Someone will likely fall to #9 that is coveted by another team. I see Cleveland and Oakland as possible teams that would be able to move up.  Both currently have plenty of picks but that could change before the draft.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:32 AM, freddyjj said:

If we trade back in Rd 1, secure an additional 2nd and then jump back into the 1st to target a player that makes sense as we get a 5th year option year on that player targeted via trade up.

If we find willing trade partners, this is a great strategy. Virtually guaranteeing 2 starters for at least 5 years. Would we benefit from 2 new starters on Offense? Youbetcha!!

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Actually it is very likely Atlanta lets Sanu go. They are tight to the cap and have Ridley and Julio. 

I was thinking that.....and would hope the bills would be there to pounce......

Sanu is a LOT like Robert Woods especially in the blocking department......and I loved me some Robert Woods

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, eball said:

Again, just because you keep saying it doesn't make it so...and some context is usually appropriate.  But I know that's not your strong suit.  Ivory wasn't a miss.  Star wasn't a miss.  And surprise, surprise, the bargain-basement shopping Beane had to do otherwise didn't yield great results.

I'd like to see what Beane can do now that the credit card bill has been paid off.  Yes, there are a lot of opportunities -- I expect a number of them to be filled by free agents.

Agreed....I do not call these players "misses"

As a whole the team's core is young and developing......so the overall talent of the team was not great last year....they were were not signing players that were needed due to dead cap reasons.......

Ivory was not a miss

Star was not a miss

Were they impact players that made a difference in wins and losses?  No even though the D was pretty good and the O was flat aweful

On 2/15/2019 at 3:20 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

This years draft is pretty deep.

And while that may seem like a subjective take.........the fact that there is a record amount of underclassmen declared is a good indicator that next years might not be so good.

So a second rounder next year might net you the same kind of player you'd get in the 3rd or even 4th this year.  

That's to say nothing about the time value of the pick.

It would have to be a pretty great value to trade out of this draft, IMO.

Or.....maybe this is just the trend it appears to be with kids coming out early, maybe not even finishing a season.....and this is just one more negative take. 

But maybe not. Time will tell. I don’t pretend to know. I just watch and wonder, with an occasional opinion. 

On 2/15/2019 at 3:20 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

This years draft is pretty deep.

And while that may seem like a subjective take.........the fact that there is a record amount of underclassmen declared is a good indicator that next years might not be so good.

So a second rounder next year might net you the same kind of player you'd get in the 3rd or even 4th this year.  

That's to say nothing about the time value of the pick.

It would have to be a pretty great value to trade out of this draft, IMO.

I’m with Augie on this. We already have 3 more picks than the allotted 7. 5th -7th Rd. picks are always at risk to not even make their 1st club.

Every year, we hear ‘This is an AMAZING draft’ and ‘Next years draft is going to be AMAZING!’ POPPYCOCK! 

In the rare event we use all our picks this year and an even rarer event most become fine players, we’ll be in CapHell in 4 seasons trying to keep our core together.

See how silly this all sounds?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I understand the logic in trading down and the desire too.  You get to trade down and pick a prospect that you liked all along or a prospect of similar quality, while also picking up an extra few picks. 

I also understand why people would believe that trading down is an opportunity.  In McDermott's first draft we traded down to get Tre White in the 1st, in Beane's first draft we traded up to get both Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds.  The front office here is one of the much more progressive regimes in the NFL, if not the most progressive when it comes to trading. 

I would love to trade down and I also believe that it's a viable option that could come with many beneficial outcomes. However, when did it become a foregone conclusion that the Bills will trade down in this draft and there's no question too it? The amount of posts regarding the draft, or personal mock drafts and what not suggesting that the Bills will trade down is absolutely ridiculous.  It has to be upwards of 50% of the posts. 

When you're talking about trading down, another team has to be looking to trade up. What are they looking to trade up for at the 9th overall pick? 

A quarterback?  It's widely sensed that there's only one QB in this draft worth a top ten pick, and with the Giants and the Jaguars (and even the Bucs) selecting ahead of us, it's likely that Haskins will be gone. 

An elite offensive lineman? Isn't that one of the most pressing needs for the Bills to begin with?  Why would we trade out of a position to select an offensive lineman with a team that intends on selecting that offensive lineman? 

A #1 WR? Again, isn't this one of the most pressing needs for the Bills right now? Even so, this draft lacks a true #1 receiver.  Some may point towards DK Metcalf, but you can't convince me that a team is going to trade into the top ten to select a receiver that's had both season ending foot and neck injuries.  Especially after you consider just how deep this receiving class is, you're talking about maybe 15+ receivers capable of being a starter one day. 

A shutdown CB? While I personally think that DeAndre Baker is  going to be a lockdown corner, the consensus around the league is that their isn't necessarily one in this draft.  Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy and Baker have all sort of been grouped into the same tier of talent, making it not worth it too trade up for one of the three.

A premier defensive lineman? This is the deepest spot in the draft, and by pick 9 you're still looking at a couple of defensive lineman that could be elite on the board after the 9th pick. 

The best scenario for the Bills to trade down would be if Ed Oliver slipped to #9 and the Bills wanted to forego the possible "headache," trading down with a team that let the talent outweigh it. And even that has to go with the assumption that a.) Ed Oliver slips, and b.) after Oliver slipping, a team decides he's still worth the top ten pick despite 8 other teams already passing on him.  

Maybe I'm too sensitive to a minor topic after what's already been a long off-season just a few weeks in, but I think it's time for a lot more discussion on what player the Bills are looking at with the 9th overall pick rather than who they may be looking at in the middle of the round after they've definitely, undoubtedly traded down already. 

This is what I think when I see mocks with us trading down. All trades need a willing partner, and we're looking for the same positions as some teams that would do so. Also, there's far too much to learn about incoming players between now and the draft to determine which players we might be interested in, let alone predict a trade. 

Speculating about which players we could draft is interesting and useful for those of us who don't know as much about college prospects, but even GM's aren't even close to finishing their draft boards. Though I generally like the theory of trading down, actually predicting them at this point is a fruitless exercise.

^^ I don’t understand the reasoning for the merging of those threads. 

Trading down in itself is something to discuss outside of just trades in general, it’s a concept of trading down v trading up v staying put and draft day trades in general.  The pro’s, the con’s, the teams who do and the teams who don’t. This thread is about trades, mostly for players, more than anything else.  Two very different topics and could’ve been a good discussion considering the immense amount of people on the board that support the Bills trading down in this draft. 

57 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Simple trade.

Bills get AB and the two teams swap 1’s.

The Steelers don’t have leverage any more because they now have to trade Brown.

Swapping picks with the Bills might be the best value they can get.

Stay tuned.

This would be fantastic, which is why I doubt it..

What is Rodak thinking?,,

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/32889/why-bills-should-consider-trading-sacks-leader-jerry-hughes

Trade Jerry?

If 

The Bills' defensive line is in a state of flux. Stalwart defensive tackle Kyle Williams retired at the end of this past season, and rotational backup Jordan Phillips will become an unrestricted free agent March 13. Defensive end Jerry Hughes' contract expires after the 2019 season, as does that of fellow end Shaq Lawson.

then why make it worse?

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

Simple trade.

Bills get AB and the two teams swap 1’s.

The Steelers don’t have leverage any more because they now have to trade Brown.

Swapping picks with the Bills might be the best value they can get.

Stay tuned.

The Steelers have Brown under contract for the next 3 years. They don't have to trade him if they don't want to and he can sit out the next 3 years if he wants to. He wont make any money sitting out and his value will be gone after that. So they do have some leverage. If they trade him before June 1st they take a 21 mil dead cap hit this year, if they trade him after that the dead cap is 7 mil per year for 3 yrs. The first scenario they only gain 1 mil in cap space this year, the post June 1st trade they gain 15 mil in cap this year. 

• SDS unpinned this topic