What do you want to see this offseason: Free Agency

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Soooo..you're not a fan of the AAF....

Yeah....that’s fine....whatever. I’m a fan of the BILLS! 

Unlike my younger days, I watch few games where the Bills are not playing. I used to watch the best game on TV, every week. Any day of the week. Now, if it’s not the Bills, I only see the key matchups. 

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

Unlike my younger days, I watch few games where the Bills are not playing. I used to watch the best game on TV, every week. Any day of the week. Now, if it’s not the Bills, I only see the key matchups. 

I just deleted all of our'18 games on my Directv box earlier...just like you,I'm ready for free agency to begin..right now,we're just chewing on meatless bones.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Ditto.

What’s happened to us??

Mitch Morse 

Daryl Williams

D-Line Depth (Vinny Curry?)

Slot WR (Cobb or Brown?)

Re-Sign Jordan Phillips

this would

A) Solidify the offensive line

B) Add another guy into the d-line rotation

C) add a veteran to the WR group 

D) Allow is to go BPA at #9 or trade down (I think they’ll be in a prime spot to trade down with Washington or Oakland)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ditto.

What’s happened to us??

Maybe it’s that I used to watch everything that was available, but now it’s constantly available so it feels like less? We have Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night, Red Zone, Fantasy coverage, etc. I used to get a couple games cable would show me, and that was that. Halftime of the Monday night game gave you all the highlights, so it was must see TV. NOW? It’s hard to avoid the constant coverage. 

That....or I just got old? 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think it's important that they help Allen immediately.

Tyrell Williams would be a huge upgrade, immediately becoming our top WR and our best deep threat. He's a huge target- 6'4" that understands how to get open when plays break down and may always be Allen's strength.  He's only 27, so he has plenty left in the tank.

I would be happy to add Jesse James at TE. He's improved as a blocker which is important in this offense, but what I really like is his fire. He's gutsy and gritty, and that's always been a part of the DNA in the best Bills teams. 

I would love to add Travis Swanson at center if he doesn't get resigned by Miami. He probably will, but he's young, smart, and a really good run blocking center. I think he would be a great fit and could be in Buffalo for a while if things break down in talks with Miami. 

1. Preston Smith Defensive End Washington- Wont have to break the bank like you will for Clowney or Lawrence.  He is young, hasnt missed a game, and athletic.  I think his best football is ahead of him.
  2. Ja'Waun James Right Tackle Miami- Would almost prefer Daryl Williams here but the injury history scares me a bit.   James has more starting experience and is the same age.  Probably will cost a bit of money but he would solidify the right side for the foreseeable future. 
  3. Jesse James Tight End Pittsburgh- Could start or provide depth.  Most likely going to need two tight ends either in free agency or the draft.
  4. Jordan Phillips Defensive Tackle Buffalo-  He isn't a gamebreaker but he does provide solid depth.  Figure on him being a late signing because I think he is looking for more than Buffalo is offering.  Again, probably need two defensive tackles this offseason.
  5. David Mayo Outside Linebacker Carolina- Was a Beane and McDermott guy in Carolina.  Can add to special teams and provide depth.

I like Tyrell Williams but I dont think he is a number one wideout, would rather draft one in the first round and develop them.  Even if they fail you spend a lot less money on the player than you would if you get one in free agency.   I am glad the front office is planning to be smart.  Dont overpay in free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/11/2019 at 1:39 PM, Steve Billieve said:

All I want is to avoid contracts like Star's.

I kinda disagree . He is essential for McD defense , he demands a double team and frees up DL and LB. I know Taron,Levi and Edmunds had a big impact but he was our biggest fa aquisition and a big reason we were #2 in ypg. Slightly overpaid , but definitely nowhere near as bad as ppl on here say. His numbers will never reflect his impact on this defense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I kinda disagree . He is essential for McD defense , he demands a double team and frees up DL and LB. I know Taron,Levi and Edmunds had a big impact but he was our biggest fa aquisition and a big reason we were #2 in ypg. Slightly overpaid , but definitely nowhere near as bad as ppl on here say. His numbers will never reflect his impact on this defense

There are other people who do what he does, but they don't make what he does.  There's not even an upside to the contract, it started out bad and can only get worse.  Isn't he our highest paid player this year? You can't play role players like that!  A couple more contracts like his and we'll be headed for another cap hell repeat of this year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/13/2019 at 9:36 AM, HogWildBill said:

Tyrell Williams would be a huge upgrade, immediately becoming our top WR and our best deep threat. He's a huge target- 6'4" that understands how to get open when plays break down and may always be Allen's strength.  He's only 27, so he has plenty left in the tank.

While I like Jesse James, going to have to disagree with ya here for Williams. Apologies for the long-winded response forthcoming...

While Williams wouldn't be a downgrade in terms of options for Allen, he certainly wouldn't be the upgrade you've pegged him to be here either. Especially considering the paycheck we'd have to give him to get him here as he's made it public he's seeking WR1 money, despite regressing since his 2016 season.

Where I differ here is I don't believe he's actually done anything to demonstrate he deserves that kind of money and responsibility in an offense. Granted, if his strengths lie in stretching the field, then perhaps there may be jaded conversation surrounding his recent performances considering Rivers' arm strength. But I sincerely doubt that being the case, and to that end, to put up the middling numbers he has the past couple of seasons under a River's led Chargers offense that has always had a solid running game, and other receiving targets during his tenure to allow Williams to shine more, is pretty telling in terms of his current ability and production. He has seen about 20 fewer targets per season since his 1000+ yd performance in 2016, but 

As for the deep threat - I'd actually say there is more potential upside with Duke fulfilling this role, as our only barometer for his play thus far is from the CFL and in a more dominant manner. I'd take his potential as a deep threat over William's demonstrated, and translatable, performance. Simply put, he's just not worth the money we'd have to spend for the production he'd ultimately provide. Beyond preferring Duke for the deep threat role, I'd much prefer most any of the WRs in this draft as an addition to the corps over Williams as each would provide more potential upside for a fraction of the price.

Edited by ctk232

Look, I know I am a broken record with Alabama players. I am sorry too, but these are the only kids I see play every game.

I think that DJ Fluker is a UFA. He was ranked high and drafted early when he came out. He was a right tackle in college but due to his height he was more suited to play guard in the NFL. He has been hurt quite a bit but he is a physical beast. DJ is probably one of the strongest players in the NFL. Opponents feared him in college. I'm under the impression that he had a decent year for the Seahawks and is now a UFA. The Bills could probably sign him for less than a fortune.

If Fluker is healthy, Bills Fans would love to watch him play. When healthy he really can overpower defensive linemen.

• Like (+1) 1

At least 2 other 4.3 speed guys at WR. For reasons unknown, this hasn’t seemed critical for past few regimes. We’ve had Glass Goodwin and Foster as an UDFA. Glass would knock himself out of the line up falling on the ball and Robert -who certainly finished with a flurry- was kicked to the curb before getting a second chance out of pure necessity. We’re still one injury away from facing 9 in the box, in spite of Josh. 

#GarnerSomeSPEED!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't have any specific favorites to sign. Center, tackle/guard, tight end and WR would be obvious targets in FA. Keep in mind too that the Bills need to make a decision soon on Dion Dawkins. While he is under contract for 2019 and 2020, if you acquire another LT to take over the position and move Dawkins to either RT or say LG, keep in mind that with good LT's being in such short supply in the NFL, someone else is bound to offer him more money than the Bills would likely be inclined to pay him, and he would leave in FA for sure in 2021. I don't believe that Dawkins or his agent would be too crazy about his position being changed either. So far, his play at LT has been ok, but not outstanding. The question is can the Bills do better at LT?

Some great ideas here.

I’ll  will only add we should do not overpay for big names just because we have cap space.    The current regime has shown ability to draft and develop players.   I think we are one step from a legitimate Wild Card team, and then another step to get to a legitimate contender.  

So I would save some cap space for the year after next to help sign our own players and to fill holes in 2020.  

Git ’er done Beansie.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1