What do you want to see this offseason: DRAFT

YoloinOhio

For the entire draft I'd like to see the focus on Offense, almost entirely, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think that they should go Offense with the first pick.

The way I look at it is that the best OL and WR prospects available at 9 arent enough value for their draft position. I think Hockenson at No. 9 is too high, but that would be the only offensive player to consider at 9 in my opinion because I think Josh Allen could really benefit from a solid TE that is damn good in both the run and pass game.

Best Option - Attempt to trade Down in first round.  Depending on the partner and position you trade into (No. 15 with Washington is a good target because I think the value of additional picks for moving down to a position where you can take advantage of a player that slipped down to you) you take the best available:

1.a coveted DT/DE ends up being available still then you take the DL player

2. Hockenson/Devin Bush if they move into the late 1st

3. Best OL player remaining on the board.

I'm just not sold on any WR in this class being worth a 1st round pick.  I'd be pissed if the picked Jonah Williams at 9, but less upset if they picked him late in the first and moved him inside (I feel the same way about Jawaan Taylor - although I think Taylor is probably a better prospect for Tackle than Williams in the NFL, but both would probably do better on the interior).  I don't think he is an NFL LT and would struggle with NFL caliber Edge rushers.

Assuming they pick up at least another 2nd  rounder in the trade - if somehow someone like Devin Bush is available that is the easy pick - they put him in the middle with Edmunds and Milano outside (that would be a solid LB crew).  they pick up another OL prospect in the 2nd, and I think it would be smart if they picked two OL in the 2nd if they didn't pick up any in the first. 

I think a gadget/utility player that they could use as a RB/WR/QB/TE is Jalen Hurd in the late 4th/early 5th would be a good pickup - he is a very good athlete and a creative OC would love to have a weapon like him, and the Bills are a little dry on offensive weapons.  This is a Five Star HS player and was a really good player at Tennessee at RB.  He is way undervalued in the draft.  They could move him around a lot to create mismatches -

Good late round RB options - Devine Ozigbo or Jordan Scarlett

Option B - If no trade partner or not a good enough deal they stay and draft:

1.  best available DT/DE - I like Clelin Ferrel and think he would be the type of pass rusher they need, but there are a lot of guys to choose from on the DL.  I don't really like the idea of Defense first, but that is what this draft features as the marquee players.  There is a chance Ed Oliver may be available still too.

2.  Hockenson a little too early but as I said I think a TE may be way more valuable than a high pick WR to Josh Allen's development.  They roll him out so much that having a good TE target makes the most sense in improving the passing option around him.

Edited by Ayjent

On 2/15/2019 at 1:17 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes.

I know Nelson is REALLY good but you can buy guards.........the first team All Pro Norwell was on the market.

I'm gonna push back -- Nelson appears to be a LOT better than Norwell, who wasn't even the best in the league before Nelson's arrival. That honor goes collectively to Marshall Yanda, Zack Martin, and David DeCastro, all of whom have proven to be genuine difference makers. Nelson is as good as them, and I'll bet you right now that if he stays healthy, he's never gonna hit free agency after year five. Martin signed a big extension, and Yanda has played for 12 years for Baltimore and is playing out a big 4-year contract right now. DeCastro was also extended by Pitt at a high price. I can assure you that none of those teams regret the investment they made in those three, and neither do the Colts. 

As for Norwell, he was undrafted and had only one good season for Carolina (his last one). He obviously outperformed his draft position, but the fact that he wasn't drafted despite going to Ohio State tells you that he does probably have some physical limitations. In his first three seasons, he was average to above average and certainly not elite. 

Martin (first round, ND), DeCastro (first round, Stanford), and Yanda (third round, Iowa) were all pretty highly touted coming out of college and the talent was obviously there. They've all gone on to dominate their opponents for multiple years running. Nelson will do probably the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
On 2/21/2019 at 2:22 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Who do you want in the second?

I'm going with Kaleb McGary.

Kaleb McGary | OT | Washington

Height | 6-8

Weight | 324

Class | Senior

College Bio

McGary is a four-year starter for the Huskies, and for his efforts, he won the 2018 Morris Trophy, which goes to the Pac-12’s top offensive lineman. McGary hasn’t received the same amount of love as the other offensive tackles in this year’s class, but he has shown to be a well-rounded player on film and at the Senior Bowl.

McGary’s got the ideal NFL frame, and plays with a combination of athleticism, mobility and power being a former basketball player. In pass protection, he’s got a quick kick and moves his feet fluidly. His frame allows him to wall off and center edge rushers on the perimeter. In the run game, he generates great movement through his power and long arms. He’s show to manipulate defenders with his length and use of angles.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/02/20/kaleb-mcgary-nfl-draft-profile/

He may be a good prospect, but success in the PAC-12 on offense needs to be scrutinized because they don’t play a lot of good defense in that conference.  Again, he might be a tremendous prospect- just check the competition.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2019 at 4:43 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...or is the AJ Brown kid a better selection later, especially if McBeane trades down for an extra 2nd?.....

A.J.Brown | Wide Receiver | No. 50

Jeremiah Says: Brown has average height and a thick, sturdy frame. He lined up in the slot in the Rebels' offense, running a lot of slants in their RPO scheme and catching a ton of other quick-hitters. He is a one-speed route runner, but he knows how to shield off defenders and attacks the ball in the air. He does have some drops on low balls, but those are offset by his ability to play above the rim. He tracks the deep ball naturally. After the catch, he steps through tackles and fights for extra yards. Overall, Brown lacks top-end speed, but he'll have a Day 1 role as a big slot receiver.

I really like what I’ve seen of Brown.  If they can get him in the 2nd I think it would be a very good selection 

• Like (+1) 2

Okay.  I actually tried to draft for real with this.  I posted one earlier with all of my picks having the last name of Williams just to be funny but this time, I really researched each pick.  This is what I came up with.  What do you think?

mock.jpg

Edited by Peace Frog

Here is my recent Fanspeak

9: R1P9
EDGE NICK BOSA
OHIO ST.
40: R2P8
OT YODNY CAJUSTE
WEST VIRGINIA
74: R3P10
WR HAKEEM BUTLER
IOWA ST.
112: R4P10
G MICHAEL JORDAN
OHIO ST.
131: R4P29
RB JUSTICE HILL
OKLAHOMA ST.
147: R5P9
CB HAMP CHEEVERS
BOSTON COLLEGE
158: R5P20
DL TRYSTEN HILL
UCF
181: R6P8
WR DAMARKUS LODGE
OLE MISS
225: R7P11
G RYAN BATES
PENN ST.
228: R7P14
C LAMONT GAILLARD
GEORGIA
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2019 at 6:19 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

I really like what I’ve seen of Brown.  If they can get him in the 2nd I think it would be a very good selection 

I would take AJ Brown at 9, to me he is head and shoulders above the rest of the class and will be a perennial Pro Bowler. He is the total package, doing everything exceptionally well.

Football awareness and IQ is off the charts

Incredible acceleration and speed in the open field

Great hands

One of the strongest at 230 pounds and he plays tough and physical 

Top effort on every down

Durable

Plays with a massive chip on his shoulder 

If possible, pair him up with Hakeem Butler in the 2nd...

#9: DL Ed Oliver

Houston

#40: C Garrett Bradbury

NC State

#74: WR Deebo Samuel

South Carolina

#112: RB Miles Sanders

Penn State

#131: Edge Joe Jackson

Miami

#147: TE Isaac Nauta

Georgia

#158: G Lester Cotton

Alabama

#181: OT Isaiah Prince

Ohio State

#225: G/T Andre James

UCLA

#228: CB Derrick Baity

Kentucky

I think this would be upgrades and starters aplenty

• Like (+1) 2

Ryquell Armstead on day 3. He's a FB that has also played RB and had a 1,000 yard season for Temple. He'd be a nice upgrade at FB. He only weighs about 225, though. He might need to add a few lbs to be a more effective lead blocker, but he could be more effective as an occasional runner and receiver than DiMarco. I'd like to also see day 3 picks for a punter and a really good return man if there is someone. Gunners can be value picks  in rounds 6 and 7 too. I think Steve Tasker proved that.

On 3/3/2019 at 12:57 AM, BuffAlone said:

#9: DL Ed Oliver

Houston

#40: C Garrett Bradbury

NC State

#74: WR Deebo Samuel

South Carolina

#112: RB Miles Sanders

Penn State

#131: Edge Joe Jackson

Miami

#147: TE Isaac Nauta

Georgia

#158: G Lester Cotton

Alabama

#181: OT Isaiah Prince

Ohio State

#225: G/T Andre James

UCLA

#228: CB Derrick Baity

Kentucky

I think this would be upgrades and starters aplenty

The more I think about the draft the more I feel this is the type of direction the Bills will go. I can see these guys concentrating on the lines in first 2rds then getting the weapons from the 3rd to 5th. 

Edited by BillsFan1988
  • Like (+1) 1