What do you want to see this offseason: DRAFT

YoloinOhio

On 2/11/2019 at 12:54 PM, Logic said:

The more I think about it, the more I just hope the Bills get an ELITE player at #9 that can play a prominent role for 10+ years and make All-Pro teams.

With that being the case, the only true blue chipper I see the Bills realistically having a shot at with the 9th pick is TJ Hockenson. 

I expect the 4 or 5 best defensive lineman and the top offensive tackle to be off the board already. Why pick from the 6th best DL or 2nd or 3rd best OL when you can have the draft's BEST tight end, and one who many say has a shot to be a Travis Kelce level of production. 

He would help the Bills in both the run and pass game and give young QB Josh Allen a much needed security blanket.

Getting a 10 year player who will be top 5 at his position most of those years is better than swinging for the fences on a high ceiling guy.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:59 AM, dpberr said:

I'd really like for the Bills to draft a blue chip pass catching TE.

If you hit on that TE like Gronk the things you can do to another team is endless. I think right now we have the worst TE's in the NFL from top to bottom. We need to upgrade the TE position big time.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:10 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

TRADE DOWN with Washington, pick up extra 2nd.

#15 - TJ Hockenson, TE

#40 - Metclaf/Harry/Deebo/Butler, WR (whoever their top WR on board is still when they pick)

#46 - Oshane Ximines, EDGE 

Then grab a RB like Love or Henderson in the 3rd/4th round.

If we DONT trade down with Washington, I would try and trade back up into the 2nd to grab Ximines using our 3rd and one of our 4ths to do so.  I think this kid is going to be a stud.  

Metcalf in the second round ? 

I dont think he will be at 15 

• Like (+1) 1

I do not disagree with you on that...I think if he shines at the combine he will be the first WR taken or at least one of the first 2.  

However there are some who believe he will fall to the 2nd (I do not agree), so I put his name there anyway because until the combine and workouts, we dont really know what kind of order the WRs can go.  Its crowded at the top with at least 7 guys who have the potential to be the first couple WR's taken and the combine and workouts will start making the pecking order a little more predictable I expect.  

I want a top, plug-in starter OL, and a top plug-in starter WR in this draft, one and two, unless we somehow get a #1 WR through trade or free agency, which seems unlikely.

To me, there is a less-of-a-bust chance drafting an OL in R1 and WR2 in R2 than vice versa, although every player drafted in the top two rounds, especially this year, has a bust factor.

And if shooting for the stars, a better chance at both becoming studs in that OL  R1, then WR R2 order.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I want a top, plug-in starter OL, and a top plug-in starter WR in this draft, one and two, unless we somehow get a #1 WR through trade or free agency, which seems unlikely.

To me, there is a less-of-a-bust chance drafting an OL in R1 and WR2 in R2 than vice versa, although every player drafted in the top two rounds, especially this year, has a bust factor.

And if shooting for the stars, a better chance at both becoming studs in that OL  R1, then WR R2 order.

The only time I've compromised to accept drafting for need was the Watkins trade-up.

They had a young QB and needed a great WR.........which is now more than ever accepted as a necessary way to elevate an inexperienced QB.

And for a 20 and 21 year old in the NFL Watkins was an epic performer.

Watkins is a premier position player but I guess predictably trading extra assets to reach up hasn't turned out well............never let need dictate your draft.

If there isn't a very worthy QB/PassRush/LT/CB/WR.......the $15M+ positions......then trade out.

The early rounds of the draft are absolutely not a place to be looking to patch holes.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The only time I've compromised to accept drafting for need was the Watkins trade-up.

They had a young QB and needed a great WR.........which is now more than ever accepted as a necessary way to elevate an inexperienced QB.

And for a 20 and 21 year old in the NFL Watkins was an epic performer.

Watkins is a premier position player but I guess predictably trading extra assets to reach up hasn't turned out well............never let need dictate your draft.

If there isn't a very worthy QB/PassRush/LT/CB/WR.......the $15M+ positions......then trade out.

The early rounds of the draft are absolutely not a place to be looking to patch holes.

I have said this before but it needs repeating. Every round of every draft by every team in every sport is the exact same dynamic and decision. You look at the top 1-3 overall players on your board at that specific time, then weigh those 1-3 against the top 1-3 players at position of need, and see how much the BPA guys are better than the PON guys, and then take that equation against how many players are left in PONs on the board.

There is no such thing EVER as just taking the best player available automatically and there is no such thing EVER as just taking a player based on need.  Every GM everywhere every time does the exact same thing. They will come to different conclusions obviously, but there is no such thing as taking the best player available without considering him against those other players.

I do agree with your theories on stars and playmakers though.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:41 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

...I am a fat tub of goo.

Who am I to argue? 

Maybe lay off the donuts a bit? 

But at least you don’t have to be nervous for the pee test......

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think I'd like to see Beane do some wheelin' and dealin' to get a few more picks, preferably within the first three rounds. Take the BPA in round one, and if I had to guess, I think it's gonna be one of these monster DL guys. That class is just stacked this year and if you look at what Carolina did a few years back even when they had a pretty solid DL, they went ahead and took Vernon Butler and added strength to an already strong position group. Unless they drop down towards the end of the first round, they're gonna have a shot at one of those guys. I don't see the value in taking a WR within the first 20-25 picks, same for TE. I like that Hockenson kid from Iowa but I don't think he's a top 20 guy. Behind him there are a handful of solid tight ends that can be picked up in the second or third.

I think they'll address interior OL in free agency. They've already signed a guy who might compete for the right guard spot (I'm assuming Miller is gonna be free to explore his options) and maybe they end up with Morse or Paradis... I think those could be longshots, though. If they decide to go with the draft, there are some solid interior OL prospects out there. That Risner kid comes to mind, and Bradbury, the center from NC State. I can't see them spending a real high pick on a right tackle, maybe they go after one in the second, third or fourth round. I know they like Mills because he's a real solid locker room guy and a team-first kinda player which is exactly the type of guys they want on their roster. But performance-wise, Mills started out decent last season but then just seemed to wear down as the year played out. So... I think they'll address either C/G/RT in FA and whatever they don't get in FA will be remedied with the draft.

Then I need to see them snag a WR and an RB. Skill position players. I know they say McCoy is in their plans for 2019 but the guy is winding down at this point. Either that or he really had a difficult time grasping what Daboll wanted to do in the run game. He pressed so much to make a play every time he had the ball and 85% of the time he ended up losing yards, barely getting back to the line of scrimmage or falling forward for a couple. I think he'd best be utilized in a specific role as opposed to being the workhorse at this stage of his career. Maybe 10-12 touches on the ground and 5-7 pass targets. Just get him in space, really. Other than that, I think they like backs that just hit the hole and go, so, whichever of these prospects is a north-south style runner is probably on their radar. As for receivers, I think they should be looking at strong route runners with top notch separation skills. They've struggled big time with separation over the past couple of seasons. Maybe they go after one of the big receivers and see if he can be what they thought KB would be. 

In the later rounds they're gonna go secondary and linebackers for depth/special teams.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I have said this before but it needs repeating. Every round of every draft by every team in every sport is the exact same dynamic and decision. You look at the top 1-3 overall players on your board at that specific time, then weigh those 1-3 against the top 1-3 players at position of need, and see how much the BPA guys are better than the PON guys, and then take that equation against how many players are left in PONs on the board.

There is no such thing EVER as just taking the best player available automatically and there is no such thing EVER as just taking a player based on need.  Every GM everywhere every time does the exact same thing. They will come to different conclusions obviously, but there is no such thing as taking the best player available without considering him against those other players.

I do agree with your theories on stars and playmakers though.

Agreed on simple BPA......all positions aren't created equal so BPA is BS.

In short the early rounds of the draft need to be where you get your $15M+ per year guys.............but unless it's a razor thin call then PON shouldn't be a factor.

It is........GM's and HC's are motivated by need......it's survival.......that's inevitable.

But in the interest of getting it right......give me a potential stud QB on the bench or a LT backing up a stud LT before I use that one-per-year chance to get a franchise cornerstone on some talented but up-and-down DL at a position of dire need.

You gotta' avoid those mistakes and most teams can't and that's a significant contributor to 8 HC's getting fired every year.

Needs change FAST so they are never worth addressing ahead of that in any draft, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

I see some here who want the Bills to copy the Patriots style of a bunch of "good, smart" move the chains  receivers, as opposed to one centerpiece WR. While I like that approach, I think it is all wrong for Allen at this point  in his career. Allen is a home run hitter right now, and would be best served by having the right tools to hit a home run with. To force him to become a short pass, move the chains guy, would be a big mistake. He can develop that along the way.

I want them to get an elite WR if possible. Definitely not a first round TE. A good TE would be nice of course, but to really get the most out of Allen right now, they need an elite downfield WR.

Edited by OJ Tom

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Would you view Jonah Williams as a bad first round pick even if he turned out to be an all pro left guard?

I agree with the bolded but I have mixed emotions wrt Williams. More pressure seems to be coming up the middle these days and imo, the guard position is getting harder to play and of more value as a result. The OT position is obviously harder to fill, but guards have to make quicker decisions (or so it would seem) and Williams is a very smart kid.

Williams might turn out to be a fine LT. The combines should tell us more but he looks to me as if he would be an absolute instant star at LG.

Of course, the above is jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

In my mind, the player with the best chance of making multiple Pro Bowls, who will be available at #9, is Dalton Risner. The question becomes, is a RT or OG worth taking in the top-10. I'd much rather trade down & take him in the 12-15 range, but I'd hate to see him go on to have a HOF career for an AFC rival because we gambled on some "high ceiling" DT.

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Would you view Jonah Williams as a bad first round pick even if he turned out to be an all pro left guard?

I agree with the bolded but I have mixed emotions wrt Williams. More pressure seems to be coming up the middle these days and imo, the guard position is getting harder to play and of more value as a result. The OT position is obviously harder to fill, but guards have to make quicker decisions (or so it would seem) and Williams is a very smart kid.

Williams might turn out to be a fine LT. The combines should tell us more but he looks to me as if he would be an absolute instant star at LG.

Of course, the above is jmo.

Yes.

Andrew Norwell was the best guard in football in 2017.........he made it to free agency and signed with Jacksonville.

The best QB/pass rusher/LT/CB/WR doesn't make it to FA..........those are the positions you gotta' fill with high ceiling studs with those first round picks.

I don't think Williams ceiling is very high at LT..........and he could become a fine LT........but then you end up in a Nate Solder/Andy Levitre situation where you know he's not worth the money when he hits FA but some team with tons of cap space and a desperate need will pay him top dollar because "fine" LT's are usually the best available in FA.

• Like (+1) 3