Cuts to add an additional 6 Million

RPbillsfan

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Is there some reason to believe we are going to spend so much of that money that we need to find an additional 6 million to make it work? 

People who are expecting a wild off season are going to be sorely disappointed.  They aren't going to go through what they went through to waste the entire cap this year.  To do so would require numerous multiple year contracts, which would drain the salary pool for years to come. 

...Especially when we are not a title contender yet.

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

You only catch heat for suggesting the cuts really with no reason. 

The 70 + million will be hard enough to spend without opening new holes on the roster. 

They literally hurt themselves by freeing up another 6 million. There’s 31 other teams many who will bid for the exact same players the bills need. Even if they wanted to spend the entire 70 million this offseason they could not fill all their holes on the team, not with decent players. Somehow though they need to spend x amount to get to the minimum salary cap for the league while planning ways out of some of these contracts in the future 

The reason I'm suggesting these cuts will be to be competitive with teams with a bit more money to spend.

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

...Especially when we are not a title contender yet.

With the right moves the Bills can compete for a playoff spot next year.

Just now, RPbillsfan said:

The reason I'm suggesting these cuts will be to be competitive with teams with a bit more money to spend.

I'm not throwing shade per se, but it just doesn't make a ton of sense. This is chump change relatively speaking and the total amount of cap space we have vs. NY or Indy will not have much bearing on who we're able to sign. It's not a competition to have the greatest amount of cap space. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Is there some reason to believe we are going to spend so much of that money that we need to find an additional 6 million to make it work? 

People who are expecting a wild off season are going to be sorely disappointed.  They aren't going to go through what they went through to waste the entire cap this year.  To do so would require numerous multiple year contracts, which would drain the salary pool for years to come. 

Agree.  T White will be expensive.   Remember McBeanes have a philosophy of paying their own.   LBs , DBs all need to get locked up.  Plus, No home town discounts in BLo. Will be very expensive to keep guys from listening to their agents and blowing out for LA or NY or FLA.   Not sure who needs to get paid, but be assured a pile of $$ will be saved up for them.   Having said that, I see several solid FAs getting paid to come to WNY this off season. 

Edited by ProcessTruster

3 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Anyone who is a top 10 free agent at their position the bills want will have at minimum 5 other teams in on them. 

I think many are looking at this free agency all wrong. Just my opinion but Beane only wants possibly 3 starters to come from free agency. With a lot of hopeful “who is that” guys they think can develop into starters during the season. Along with 4-5 rookies they hope can develop into starters year one or two. Unless he’s just constantly swerving the media and fans he’s not going to load up this offseason on expensive vets. It’s not smart business. He just tanked an entire season to take I think the largest dead cap hit for a team in history (I’m guessing from an article I read not 100% positive if it was a record) but he’s not going to just load the team up on overpriced contracts after dropping all the previous ones. 

12 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

For all who are throwing shade my way please give me your plan.  It's easy to make snide comments or try and be funny.  But how about doing a bit of research.  Possibly evaluate who may be available and why.  Maybe even look at what other teams may do and how that impacts the Bills.

I'm a long time fan, bought my first season tickets at age 7 for the 64 season.  Im 61 now and live in California.  I study and evaluate opportunities and try to bring interesting topics with useful researched information for all to read, review and comment on.

If you can't do the same, please read but don't comment.

Thank You

Well you go into training camp with 90 guys on the roster. Many of them make the  minimum and only the top 51 count - and we only have 52 signed now. That means we're going to be signing about 38 more guys who mostly make minimum salary. So saying we should cut a guy like Cam Phillips in order to make cap room just doesn't make sense. If you cut him just to make room, one of the other minimum salary guys just moves into the same slot. There's nothing gained.

Now if you want to cut a guy and replace him with somebody better, I'm all for it. But at this point, with 28 players left to sign just to get to the camp number, talking about cutting a minimum salary guy to save cap space is pointless. You're still going to sign at least 25 more guys before it makes a difference. And even then since he's making minimum it won't make any more of a difference than cutting some other player. 

Furthermore, even if the cap space is needed, there's no need to cut anybody early. Even if you sign a guy at 9:00 AM that puts you over the cap, you still have until 4:00 PM the same day to make cuts and get under the cap. I just don't see the point of talking about cutting a minimum salary player in February in order to save cap space when we don't need the cap space, and the player's salary will just be replaced by another player's salary anyway. Again, if the player replacing him is better, go for it. Until then it's rather pointless.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

Well you go into training camp with 90 guys on the roster. Many of them make the  minimum and only the top 51 count - and we only have 52 signed now. That means we're going to be signing about 38 more guys who mostly make minimum salary. So saying we should cut a guy like Cam Phillips in order to make cap room just doesn't make sense. If you cut him just to make room, one of the other minimum salary guys just moves into the same slot. There's nothing gained.

Now if you want to cut a guy and replace him with somebody better, I'm all for it. But at this point, with 28 players left to sign just to get to the camp number, talking about cutting a minimum salary guy to save cap space is pointless. You're still going to sign at least 25 more guys before it makes a difference. And even then since he's making minimum it won't make any more of a difference than cutting some other player. 

Furthermore, even if the cap space is needed, there's no need to cut anybody early. Even if you sign a guy at 9:00 AM that puts you over the cap, you still have until 4:00 PM the same day to make cuts and get under the cap. I just don't see the point of talking about cutting a minimum salary player in February in order to save cap space when we don't need the cap space, and the player's salary will just be replaced by another player's salary anyway. Again, if the player replacing him is better, go for it. Until then it's rather pointless.

How about for the purpose of generating discussion on moves we can make.  It seems to be working as I've seen 2 pages worth of responses.

Question:  Do people realize that if we cut people to free up $$$ we them have to spend the same money, maybe more, to now fill those roster spots?  

So how does this free up $6m in cap space if we just use it to fill the very holes created?  

We do not need the extra cap space this year, we have plenty. They should, and will, cut players based on what’s best for the roster, not because of we need more “cap space” going into free agency.  Especially when it comes to the inexpensive players.  

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Question:  Do people realize that if we cut people to free up $$$ we them have to spend the same money, maybe more, to now fill those roster spots?  

So how does this free up $6m in cap space if we just use it to fill the very holes created?  

We do not need the extra cap space this year, we have plenty. They should, and will, cut players based on what’s best for the roster, not because of we need more “cap space” going into free agency.  Especially when it comes to the inexpensive players.  

Please tell all of us of the players I've suggested letting go, exactly who would be a significant loss.

27 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

How about for the purpose of generating discussion on moves we can make.  It seems to be working as I've seen 2 pages worth of responses.

Is that what you were going for? Your post didn't say anything except we should cut these 5 particular guys in order to gain $6 mil in cap space (which it won't, as mentioned several times here, the guys cut are still replaced on the roster by similarly paid guys). More like $4 mil but whatever. But okay, if your original post had said we should cut these 5 particular guys in order to make the following moves, I probably would have just scrolled on by.

Unfortunately I didn't get the feeling from the original post that that's what you were doing. In fact, it looks like your original post is simply looking to gain cap space without adding any real plan. It wasn't until later you added some of your thoughts about who we should sign. None of which still explains why we would need to cut these 5 particular players to make room.

Maybe you should have just said we should cut these players because they suck. People might have disagreed, but at least your statement would have made more sense than (according to the original post) vaguely pointing out 5 guys to cut just to give us $80+ mil instead of $70 something mil, and then getting all defensive when people have the audacity to ask why?

Edited by Tuco

1 minute ago, RPbillsfan said:

Please tell all of us of the players I've suggested letting go, exactly who would be a significant loss.

I get your frustration buddy. I really do. I just don't think there's a lot of validity to cutting a few guys to gain a tiny bit of cap space. Maybe they cut them because they find better players. Maybe they stick. I've taken plenty of L's in threads and life indeed marches on.

52 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

I've looked at the Sportac NFL site and based on players that can be cut to add cap space and who are critical "need to resign" I feel players like Lawrence of Dallas, Clowney of the Texans, Flowers of NE, Dee Ford in KC and others will be resigned by their current teams.  We can outbid the Panthers for Darryl Williams, Chiefs won't have enough cap space for Morse and have his replacement in place, Vikings tight against the cap and have to resign Anthony Barr and add on the offensive line.  Paradies will probably resign in Denver as they have cap space.

The signings I've suggested are based on their ability to be signed and based on their current teams salary or depth issues and other priority needs.

No they Donté. He’s not very good.  I’d sign him as an eye rusher, but not to play LB. He isn’t the player he was for whatever reason. I expect that they let him go.  That being said, I do think Richardson could be had and I’d be happy with the free agents you’re targeting.  Don’t really understand why we wouldn’t go after a FA WR though. There aren’t any #1 guys but there are a handful that could help.  I realize that we have foster, Zay, McKenzie and Williams and we’ll assuredly select at least one in the draft.  That’s 5-6 guys I expect to make the team, but I’d target at least 1 FA Wr

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No they Donté. He’s not very good.  I’d sign him as an eye rusher, but not to play LB. He isn’t the player he was for whatever reason. I expect that they let him go.  That being said, I do think Richardson could be had and I’d be happy with the free agents you’re targeting.  Don’t really understand why we wouldn’t go after a FA WR though. There aren’t any #1 guys but there are a handful that could help.  I realize that we have foster, Zay, McKenzie and Williams and we’ll assuredly select at least one in the draft.  That’s 5-6 guys I expect to make the team, but I’d target at least 1 FA Wr

I thought about adding a WR, my preference is Tyrell Williams, but not at $10,000,000 per.  Like a high pick draft choice to team with Foster, Jones and McKenzie.

1 hour ago, todzilla said:

I don’t want Ducasse as a starter but he’s good depth and salary is reasonable. I’d keep him. Others are right. The extra $6m won’t make a difference. They aren’t spending all that money. Cut the punter sure, but not to save the money, he just stinks. Gonna have to spend the same to replace him. 

You can't be serious.  Vlad was a healthy inactive every week by the end of the season and has no chance of being retained, especially with Castillo gone.  

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

They need to spend way more than that to get to the minimum cap. They can’t roll 40 million. 

And you mention some of the top free agents, surely other teams will be bidding quite hard to get those guys as well. This is why it’s difficult to cut more guys. 

You may end up with worse replacements than you already have on the team. Difference is the guys on the team already know the schemes and players in the locker room. 

You don’t cut someone like ivory until you already have their replacement under contract. Tevin Coleman and Yeldon are the top 2 backs available, other teams need them way more than buffalo. They can’t just sign all the top free agents that’s a bad way to build the team and fill holes. 

Ask the redskins and dolphins 

FYI: Minimum cap numbers are calculated with cash spent in that season.  You can't look at available cap space or rollover dollars.  The Bills will not be in danger of being below the threshold in 2019. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Here are some easy cuts to add $6,000,000 to our $78,750,000 in cap space

Chris Ivory

Vlad Ducasse

Punter 

Cam Phillips

Denzel Rice

These obvious moves would bring our cap space to $85,000,000.

That additional space is going to be very helpful.

Where Clay in the cuts?